What does your name mean?

by pennycandy 89 Replies latest jw friends

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Soledad...... I think that is a beautiful name. I have often thought I'd like that as a middle name of a daughter should I ever have one.

Chevy of 'yes I think about that kind of stuff, so give me a break' class

• johnathanseagull
    johnathanseagull

Mine's a book "jonathan livingston seagull" by Richard Bach

• Corvin
    Corvin

Corvin is derived from the latin, Corvinus, Corvus, which means raven or crow.

alt

The Story:

Basically, folklore holds that Holy Roman Emperor Sigismund had an illicit affair with a Romanian woman, Erszebet Morszinai. She became pregnant, and upon hearing the news, Sigismund gave her a gold ring telling her to bring the infant to Budapest and present the infant to him along with the ring and the child would be raised in court. She embarked upon her journey from Wallachia to Buda with the infant, Hunyadi Janos, and her brother. While stopped at a river to wash clothes or something, she left the baby on a blanket and gave the ring to him to play with. A raven stole the ring and flew up to a high tree branch nearby. She heard the baby crying and saw what had happened. She called to her brother who shot the raven through heart with an arrow, and retrieved the ring, the key to Janos' future in the court of Holy Roman Emperor Sigismund.

Other stories put Janos' son, Matthias Corvinus, as the one to slay the bird and retreive the stolen ring. I like the first story the best, though.

Corvin

• talesin
    talesin

talesin: tah-lah-sin

Should be spelled taliesin, but I simplified, not realizing it now looks like TALE-SIN. Nope, not a tale of sin, folks. Sorry!

One of my top 5 books of all time, The Mists of Avalon, uses taliesin as one of Merlin's names. I have been obsessed with Arthurian lore all my life. Merlin, a Druid, a protector, a behind-the-scenes manipulator for the good, an old soul and a majykal spirit who can change form at will and is in tune with nature. (Read Mary Stewart's series: The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, etc.)

I relate to Merlin, emulate his ways, and love the name taliesin.

Unrelated, but it is also the name of FLWright's famous home, and the name of a real troubadour (do a google, there is actually one of his songs written down) from the dark ages.

• Pinned Blouse
    Pinned Blouse

Flash,

modesty is at any given time it is an emotionaly based standard not an intellectual one. People feel good or bad about something so therefore it must be good or bad...NOT!!!

Amen!

PB

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Dismembered: translated means- one happy camper to be the hell out!

• RR
    RR

You see ... that's what I gut for not reading a complete post ... DUH! I thought you meant names and their meanings. Not screen names. Well I'm obvious ... my initials

RR

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Mine was left over from the H20 days, and when I signed on JWD I just kept the same name. Basically (before I was going to forums, I needed a name for other things online) I ran through a bunch of names that come coming up "taken" and after several tries---"Sunspot" popped into my head. It went through---and I've kept it!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

My "handle" here is from another xdub list of which Country Girl was the founder.....Country Girl gave it to me, as well as my email addie...Queen of Franistan .......I found this pic to go with it and used it for a while....can't figure out why she named me that

Frannie B

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

Holey Cheeses - King of the Juice = Holy jesus - King of the jews.

No, I do not have delusional messianic aspirations, but, I do have a healthy contempt, irreverence, disregard, and perhaps downright disrespect for religious pretence, pomp, bigotry, ritual and hypocrisy. This is possibly reflected in my board name. Don't like it? You can call me Peter.

cheeses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit