What does your name mean?

by pennycandy 89 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    You were close though: I'm a snot-nosed, smartass, college girl type, who happens to be black .

Yeah, but that can't possibly be as annoying as a snot-nosed, spoiled, know-it-all white girl. There is one particular poster who no longer posts here that fits that description to a T. Most of her posts were just damn annoying. Very self absorbed and high on her own opinions. I think Simon or someone deleted her.

Flyin'

• onacruse
    onacruse

on-a-cruise through life...

not onacruise for chicks, as was (in retrospect) the not uncommonly taken meaning.

That I just happened to meet a "chic" via this db is not my fault...she's such a lucky gal. LOLOLOL

Craig

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Flyin-

Seriously though, the color of my skin does not excuse, nor should it explain any negative personality traits (real or perceived) that come though in my posts.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Seriously though, the color of my skin does not excuse, nor should it explain any negative personality traits (real or perceived) that come though in my posts.

Stinky, I don't know you well enough to have seen any negative personality traits. When I joined you were all down and bummed and then you left for a long time.

The girl I am talking about left while you weren't posting. I don't want to say who publicly out of respect for her as a human being. She's riding the crest of the wave for now and has the world by the tail. I'd say though, that with her smart a$$ attitude, she's in for more than a few hard knocks. I've had my share of those, believe me.

Flyin'

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Like my buddy Country Guy, mine's pretty simple. I live on a ranch, and I'm a girl. heh. Unlike Country Guy, however, I have to use a wheelbarrow to carry hay bales. His muscles are bigger'n mine. <grin>.

Country Woman, I presume, also lives in the country, but she's a *woman* now... <wink>, so she doesn't *have* to carry hay bales. She gets Country Guy to do it!

In RL, my name means Goddess of War, and the arts and crafts.

Country Girl

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

Bubba is my dog's nickname. His real name is Pugslie but he's kinda fat and lazy and loves to snooze on the couch...thus his nickname. He used to look like the pug in my avatar but now he's old and grey (and fat). Haha - gotta love him - He has NEVER shunned me!!

Mar is the first 3 letters of my name. Marla.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Well ... I didn't know which name to put ... but what's quiet obvious to people who got to see me is that I don't look my age (and it's not always a good thing ... when you're not that young in your head) ...

But I could have shoose the name people called me at my jobs : like Dark Vador (twice) or Matrix (more often in the streets)

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Dark Vador (twice) or Matrix (more often in the streets)
    Because of my coats style ! and my sun glasses !
  • Draconian
    Draconian

My alias came from the oldest days of computer BBSes, when we first hooked up 300-baud modems to workstations at the university. I called myself DRACOPOLITICIAN because it was the mid-80's and the Religious Right were having a go at Dungeons & Dragons-players, even getting ordinary reporters to call us the children of Satan on the air, so I did some stuff to fight back, possibly the only advocacy of its kind. A certain computer BBS though limited aliases to 9 letters so I scrunched it to DRACONIAN.

There was a whole amusing back-story to my BBS persona. Draconian was a dragon from a planet with a dying purple sun, who neckered to our dimension. He learned English from stolen videos, but had something of the wrong idea of phrases used in normal human discourse. "Make my day, punk!" "You talking to me? You talking to ME?" He's got no mammalian part of the brain, so does not see issues in ooey-gooey emotional shadings. This plus his typical glaring look ("I'm not glaring at you. If I were glaring at you I would do THIS...[plastic buttons melt, hair singes]") makes humans uneasy. But Draconian has a cat-calendar in his house ("Draconian LIKES cute, furry little kitty-cats!") Go figure. Mousetraps work a little differently on Draconian's homeworld, where they are in fact mammal-traps. The mammal is caught, stretched out, a brush shoots out the side of the trap to slather the mammal with "Special Sauce" and then a little triangle and clapper shoots out the other side to signal that the snack is ready. The dragons were dedicated to capturing and eating every mammal they could, before any mammals could (heaven forbid!) evolve intelligence.

• Smoldering Wick
    Smoldering Wick

I wanted to sign onto this discussion board anonymously...as so many of us do or have to do. So, instead of using my real screen name "imbluefire" (which many exjws and jws online knew me by) I thought about how I felt for so long as a jw on her way out...

One night, right before the Thursday meeting...I turned in my "pioneer card". The elder who took it sarcastically commented to me "couldn't hack it, eh?" and quickly took my ?pioneer card? without giving "it" or me another thought. Needless to say?I was hurt. ?Didn?t he realize how much suffering and how many personal tragedies I had gone through?? I remembered the scripture in the Bible that said, ?No smoldering wick would he extinguish? and thought how un-Christ-like that elder was. Just a little ?encouragement? from him?and I probably would have taken back that card. (I thank him now.)

Funny thing was?a few years later that same elder conducted this watchtower study:

? Would You Extinguish a Smoldering Wick??

Jesus proclaimed his comforting message to many who were figuratively like a bruised reed, bent over and knocked about. These people were also like a smoldering flaxen wick because their last spark of life had nearly been extinguished. They really were oppressed and discouraged. However, Jesus did not crush a figurative bruised reed or extinguish a symbolic smoldering wick. His loving, tender, compassionate words did not further discourage and depress suffering people. Instead, his comments and his dealings with them had an uplifting effect.?Matthew

Today, too, many need compassion and encouragement because they face disheartening problems. Even servants of Jehovah are not always towers of strength. At times some resemble smoldering wicks. Christians should therefore be encouraging?fanning the flame, as it were?thus strengthening one another.?Luke 22:32; Acts 11:23.

As Christians we want to be upbuilding. We would not deliberately try to weaken anyone seeking spiritual help. Indeed, we desire to imitate Jesus? example in strengthening others. (Hebrews 12:1-3; 1 Peter 2:21) The fact that we could unwittingly crush any who look to us for encouragement is good reason to give serious thought to our way of dealing with others. We certainly do not want to ?extinguish a smoldering wick.?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit