US Hostage, Paul Johnson, Beheaded

by DevonMcBride 178 Replies latest social current

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Realist,

what the hell happened to you???? did you get enlightened or something???

No darlin, it's called sarcasm...poverty had absolutely NOTHING to do with this brutal murder, NOTHING. Geesh, get a clue. My next sarcastic comment is..."let's find these guys and negotiate with them"

No, my solution, jail them on a mosiquito infested Island somewhere feeding them only pork products and bury them in pig entrals when they die.

Dear Misstep

The fact is that Christianity itself was established on a history of similar acts such as this.

There are several DAMNING differences darlin. The first three hundred years of Christian history is one of peace, and being persecuted...whereas the founder of Islam was a bloody person, and Islam was spread by the sword.

The other difference...if so-called Christians were doing this sort of thing today, it would be soundly condemned by mainstream Christians.

The situation in Saudi Arabia would be like the US Government adopting the principles of the KKK, funding them, and only allowing their brand of the "christian" message to be heard in the US...and have 50% of the US population (or more) support them when they go out and lynch people.

• Realist
    Realist

yeru,

No darlin, it's called sarcasm

i was afraid you would say that. too bad really!

let's find these guys and negotiate with them

of course not - because only people who kill others with bombs dropped from stealth bombers deserve the right to negotiate right?

No, my solution, jail them on a mosiquito infested Island somewhere feeding them only pork products and bury them in pig entrals when they die.

good luck with that!

you should realize that a colonial power will always face some opposition - no matter how many enemies you kill or put in jail - especially if you try to impose your lifestyle on the other culture.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Listen Darlin this has nothing to do with poverty or colonialism or any of your other pet communist leaning issues, this has to do with a religion that was founded on violence and which thrives on hate. Colonialism and poverty had something to do with radical muslims in Algeria cutting off the heads of other algerian muslims that didn't meet their standard of Islam? It had something to do with the horrible way women are treated in muslim cultures around the world? Get a freaking clue...and stay out of the way.

Tell me when it was again that a stealth bomber dropped a bomb on Saudi Arabia? Geesh, get a freakin clue...the people that did this are not POOR, they don't suffer from "imperialism" they suffer from a religion of hatered...that can NOT be negotiated with.

• Realist
    Realist

yeru,

for one thing if americans would not be there than they counld not get killed there right?

secondly this has very much to do with collonialism. the west is trying to pressure its value system onto these people. whether the west has the right system or not - this is causing resistance.

Tell me when it was again that a stealth bomber dropped a bomb on Saudi Arabia?

i did not say they did! i merely stated whom you see fit for negotiations and whom you see unfit. someone who drops bombs in the name of capitalism is a honorable man right?

• bisous
    bisous

What is really disheartening is how few posters have written about the terrible impact to this family and the ugliness of the act itself. Instead it almost immediately degenerates into a political bashing session.

For the US posters, how many viewed the son, daughter and sister making the morning news rounds on Thursday, pitifully begging for their father's life and being grilled by the media as to "How it felt to watch the video on t.v. of their father bound and with a blindfold...."? Sickening what is happening here, and even more sickening to hear of his demise and how. I cried for his children and the agony they are going through now. To know that there is a new video floating around of their father. I'm sure our wonderful journalists are chomping at the bit to get the next exclusive.

What is even more disturbing to me is that the sentiments of the right on this thread represent the views of (IMO) about 50% of Americans. Our country is headed for even tougher times, my friends. And on our soil, I'm afraid. I'm not just speaking of the imminent threat of terrorism, but the upcoming election and how it will rip our country asunder.

• Simon
    Simon
    The other difference...if so-called Christians were doing this sort of thing today, it would be soundly condemned by mainstream Christians.

So, Yeru ... you will be condemning the deaths in custody of people by US contractors and soldiers won't you?

The blatant hypocrisy shown by some people sickens and disgusts me. When "our" side kill and abuse people then "it's just something blown up out of proportion and the actions of a few, it doesn't represent us and people shouldn't be mad at us, in fact - the victims probably deserved it". When someone else kills one of "our" citizens then "their actions represent the entire population, they all deserve to die and we should drop nukes, blah, blah, blah"

Until some attitudes are changed then this sort of thing will continue and worsen. The people conducting any of these barbaric acts on both sides are disgusting scum and are responsible for putting innocent lives at risk. The real danger is that if we allow extreme actions to provoke more or even worse extreme actions then things just get worse.

How does killing 1,000 people in retaliation for 1 person being murdered solve anything? Is this an example of our much vaunted "justice" and "civilisation" that we want the world to copy? If so, it's a joke.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Yeru,

First of all I am a man. The Hillary Step is a place, not a person.

Secondly,

The fact is that Christianity itself was established on a history of similar acts such as this.

There are several DAMNING differences darlin. The first three hundred years of Christian history is one of peace, and being persecuted...whereas the founder of Islam was a bloody person, and Islam was spread by the sword.

The situation in Saudi Arabia would be like the US Government adopting the principles of the KKK, funding them, and only allowing their brand of the "christian" message to be heard in the US...and have 50% of the US population (or more) support them when they go out and lynch people.

This has little if anything to do with my post, the point of which was to allow the readers to see that these sorts of acts were common, everyday fare in the lives of people in the Middle East several thousand years ago. Christians must accept that their own religion is built on such barbarism. I acknowledged the social change in Christianity and the Islamic inability for social change in my post. I am dealing in facts, and history not rhetoric or partisan politics.

In order to understand events in the Middle East you must look at events through the eyes of history, not with a C21st vision. What is happening is ancient history that has come back to haunt the world.

As to your comparison with the KKK, unless you wish to also apply this illustration to the desert Jews of the Bible guided by 'God', it falls apart as a nonsense in the framewrok of this thread.

Best regards Darlin - HS

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Simon,

So, Yeru ... you will be condemning the deaths in custody of people by US contractors and soldiers won't you?

Why yes, yes I am, as is the US government...seems to me we've tried several soldiers already, and have at least one contractor in custody...what's your point.

Hillary,

The differnce is that this is NOT several thousand years ago, this is 2004 and it is ENTIRELY unacceptable to cut someone's head off in the name of religion or politics. Leave it to the leftist nut cases on this board and elsewhere to come to the defense of the terrorists, it's not their fault.

We are in a war, and people like you are aiding and abetting the enemy...there used to be laws against that.

• codeblue
    codeblue

A truly horrific situation..........I feel so bad for his family...it was a senseless death.

• scotsman
    scotsman

Why do these threads become so ugly with allegations of terrorist support made against those who aren't baying for blood? It's so depressing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit