This is about out beloved Dansk

by mouthy 606 Replies latest jw experiences

• bem
    bem

For all who may wonder about our commitment to Ian,his Wife & Family. and I'm suspecting a bit of bonding to one another. Blinking Heart 2

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

(((((((((((((((((((((((((Ian))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Much love from SheilaM and Thunder You are an inspiration to everyone you have touched....

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Gracie started this thread a year ago today, on May 28, 2004.

Ian and Claire ---

Thank you for sharing your life with us in the past year. I, like so many others here, have been blessed and humbled by your courage and honesty.

We love you!

Marjorie

• fairchild
    fairchild

Warm hugs from fairchild. You are in my thoughts.

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Brenda ---

How about a nice graphic for this thread?

(I tried to paste in the heart you made for Ian last week, but the formatting was lost.)

Ian ---

Are you relaxing in your new conservatory? What kinds of things are blooming in your garden right now?

Marjorie

• Dansk
    Dansk

Thank you, Marjorie, for bringing to my attention that this thread is now a year old! THANK YOU, GRACE!

Yes, Claire and I spend most of our time in the conservatory now - but we are often blinded by the sunlight as we won't have any blinds fitted until next Wednesday. The evenings and less sunny days, however, are wonderful to behold. Claire fell asleep in it yesterday Wish I could!

THANK YOU to everyone who has poured out their loving thoughts and best wishes on my half. It is very humbling and I appreciate it all so very much. And to have vigil threads running every week is also something I shall always be grateful for and never forget.

If my stomach ache doesn't improve I'm going to have to see the doc. However, I can only have "normal" medicine as chemo is definitely out.

This sounds interesting: New funding fuels growth of cancer research at U of A

Iris Tse

Iris Tse
    SEARCHING FOR A CURE Dr Raymond Lai innovates cancer research
    Medical researchers at the University of Alberta have received another funding boost towards their search for new ways to approach cancer treatment.

Dr Raymond Lai, a cancer researcher in the department of laboratory medicine and pathology at the U of A, will receive $331 500 over the course of three years from the Canadian Cancer Society. Lai, one of five researchers receiving a grant in the Alberta region, will be focussing his research on Stat3, a protein that, when produced in excess, may lead to mantle cell lymphoma.

“Stat3 normally stimulates cell growth in terms of promoting cell cycle progression and preventing [programmed cell death]. In most cases of mantle cell lymphoma, Stat3 was shown to be overactive and resulted in abnormal cell growth,” explained Lai.

Mantle cell lymphoma is a form of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma arising from malignant white blood cells in the lymph node directly affecting the immune system. It is estimated that this year 6400 Canadians will be diagnosed with the cancer and 3000 will die of the disease.

Lai said that most non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma occurs in middle to old age.

Though Lai’s research has mainly been concentrated on mantle cell lymphoma, he looks forward to expanding his research towards breast cancer as well, as it is another cancer type that involves abnormal Stat3 activity.

“We have also received a grant from the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation Alberta Chapter towards our research,” said Lai.

“I want to look into the role of Stat3 overactivity in breast cancer because we already have an existing research program and a lot of good infrastructure in place at the Cross Cancer Institute related to breast cancer.”

“So we will have two projects going on related to Stat3. Though they’re both cancers, they’re not the same thing. We will be looking at Stat3 at a very cell-type specific manner,” explained Lai.

As for any practical application of his research on Stat3, Lai is cautiously optimistic about any possible pharmaceutical approaches in cancer treatment in the future.

“Drugs that block Stat3 have been shown to kill cancer cells in animal models. So the next logical step [in my research] is to see if we can use [those] kinds of drugs to help [human] patients,” said Lai.

Though this is an attractive prospect and novel approach in cancer treatment, Lai stresses the fact that Stat3 is not the oft-mentioned “magic bullet” that can cure all kinds of cancer.

“Bear in mind that Stat3 is not activated in all kinds of cancer. This means the drug will only help a [certain] subset of patient.”

Nonetheless, such a drug will be a welcomed departure from the current non-specific chemotherapy treatment that most cancer patients undergo. Mantle cell lymphoma is an aggressive form of cancer that is especially resistant to chemotherapy treatments.

“[Chemotherapy] was normally used because we didn’t understand the biology of the cancer. Through molecular diagnosis, we try to unearth the biology of the disease and its biochemical mechanism and [then] specifically target that defect. Stat3 is one of the possible targets to work on,” said Lai.

“It’s still too premature to say this will definitely work, but that is our long-term goal. I suppose this is a very exciting area, but it’ll take some time for us to work everything out.”

Please note:
    Mantle cell lymphoma is an aggressive form of cancer that is especially resistant to chemotherapy treatments.
    This is what I've been trying to get over to people. I haven't refused chemotherapy lightly. It's just absolutely useless in my case. I live in hope! Love to you ALL, Ian
  • Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Hi Ian.....For some reason my Cap i's look like an l .

Anyway..this is the first time I saw this post and my heart goes out to you and your wife.Hubby and I went through the same thing 2 years ago. He was a JW though. He had always been so healthy but one day he turned yellow.

He was tired a lot and had pain under his right rib.

When I saw how yellow he was I took him to the emergency room.They gave us the news on 9-11-03..He only had 9 month to live..Lung cancer that had spread to his liver.The bad part about liver cancer is nothing can help it. Most chemo is processed through the liver. They could give him chemo but it was only to help the pain and maybe give him another 3 months making it one year!. He had it for 6 weeks and they did another scan.They had shrunk the lung tumor but the liver was full...now it was 6 months..well all he would do is read the bible and pray.
    He had the most aggresive cancer there was.

They told him to eat whatever he could as he was losing 5 pounds a day.His JW mother and sister told him Noni juice would cure him. So he gussled that down to the tune of $1,000. a month.He was getting so full from that he wouldn't eat. He only lasted until Feb. A lot shorter then they said. I think it was because he heard the word cancer and gave up.

You are doing wonderful! You are looking into alternatives that hubby didn't have time to do. You are fighting the odds. I think if you can make it to a certain stage the cancer gives up.I heard Cancer is a virus and we know they can suddenly disappear!

So just take one day at a time and do your excercises that strengthen you.Each day you are showing them you won't be beat. You must have an amazing wife . It sounds like she is helping you take good care of yourself. I hope you tell her how much she is appreciated!

I know what she is going through too! She feels your pain the same as you...If you have any trouble eating the veggies maybe you could put them in a juicer... Grind those suckers up! Maybe the raw ones are too hard on your stomach if your stomach is hurting...

I made hubby home made chicken vegtable soup. He loved that and it gave him strength..He also had a nutritional drink that the cancer society gave him for free. It was called Boost. Don't know if it is available there. But it helps to keep the weight on.

I hope your next visit is a good one..and they get rid of that tummy ache for you!

Best wishes and I am sending strength to you and wifey..

And a cake for the anniversary..

Big hugs..Snoozy..who was also given many words of strength and love by the people here when hubby was so sick!

• mouthy
    mouthy

Well 1 year ago... Hey! You have a lot more to go through my beloved Ian..( years I mean) You have been a brave soldier in all that time-& your back up( wifey) has had to stand by & watch you fight!!!
    Keep on keeping on my dear friend. It is just a normal thing for you to be with me in my bed at night!!!! ( IN my prayers darling)
    I dont think you would appreciate cuddling up with a 78 year old so I just mention you from my mouth to MY GOD!!!!!! ((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS TO YOU BOTH)))

Grace/Mouthy/ Granny

• Dansk
    Dansk

Snoozy,

I'm terribly sorry to learn of what happened to your husband - and also profoundly grateful for your encouraging words to me

Grace, I'd cuddle up to you any time

It's been a difficult year, but also one of incredible soul-searching. A special journey that has brought many blessings in spite of the pain and maladies.

Love to ALL,

Ian

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

((((Ian))))

SO very sorry that your stomach pains are yet with you. I've been praying on that symptom and hoping it would leave.

We are all pulling for you, Dear one!

Love and hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit