Do you fear death?

by onacruse 122 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Flyin,

I would think that if there is some type of after life in another realm,,that pain won't be a part of it. Pain in this world is mostly a very good think because if we could feel pain we would destroy ourselves. That why if there is any after life I would not think pain would be a part of it. Pain is all physical.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Pain is all physical.

Frankie, thank you for trying to comfort and reassure me. What about emotional pain though? And fear? The suffocation I was speaking of is when you are dying. You can still feel physical pain then. I just don't want to think there is as much evil in the afterlife as there is here on earth.

Flyin'

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Emotional pain is physical too,,proof: you can take drugs to releive emotional pain,,

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I fear growing old and wasting away. A prolonged agony. But death itself doesn't bother me. I guess when my time is up, it is up.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I am not afraid of dying its just i have no faith in an afterlife so it saddens me greatly to know that i will not have a long future with my daughter or grandchildren.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

I think it's worth asking what the fear is for, yourself right? Even if it is fear of not being there for your loved ones, it is for your loved ones. I don't mean to belittle the bond we have for our friends and family, but the point I want to make is that self can die before you die physically. As strange as it may sound, and as much aversion as we might have to the word death, it is basically being free from ourselves. What I've found though is it doesn't mean you are disconnected and don't care, but you are first free from yourself, and then you are free to be your 'self', you are just not limited to this identification you consider as self - you are much more than that.

An interesting fact is some who are convinced there is an afterlife are even more engaged in this one, because the attitude they have is there is only a limited amount of time here and we should contribute as much as we can while we are here. Regardless of what you think of the belief I think that's a great attitude, in contrast to the "I'm saved, so I won't bother with this life I'm just gonna wait for heaven." It's clear what the difference is isn't it? One is selfless, the other is selfish.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I think it is natural to fear anything related to the unknown.

I believe in heaven, and life after death, though not sure exactly what it will entail, so there is some nervousness I have towards that. But I feel that ultimately I will be taken care of.

The pain associated with a premature death would frighten me.

I do want to live a long healthy life, and enjoy my family. I want to live until my late eighties. Then, pass away in my sleep.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Mark:I so often see this difference in Calvinistic circles, where some have slipped into Hyper-Calvinism.
    It's pitiful to behold.

Enjoying our connection to the divine is one thing, but keeping it's benefits to ourselves is inexcusable, IMHO.

• forgetmenot
    forgetmenot

hmmm....i fear not being me anymore...i fear loosing all the things and people that i love...i fear not doing enough here to make a difference...i fear not being able to feel...or remember...

a few close family and friends passed away in the last couple of years...it is so wierd to not call them or go visit...send them cards and bake them cookies...i still dream about them...like they're still alive...

the most i fear: i fear wasting my life away

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Forgetmenot:
    Having lost "myself" and all the things and people I loved, I have to say that it's not so bad.
    It's just the beginning of a brand new chapter...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit