Do you fear death?

by onacruse 122 Replies latest jw friends

• wasasister
    wasasister

Ona:

What is it for me? Seriously?

It's something I don't know yet. When I "woke up", spiritually speaking, I realized I had more questions than answers and that was somehow OK with me. I no longer worry that I don't have all those absolute answers I did when I was a JW.

I guess I'll just wait and see. In the meantime, I intend to live what's left of my life to the fullest extent possible. Do I want this life to end anytime soon? Hell no!

And as to the Woody Allen quote, when I go, I'd like to not be aware of the onset of death. Maybe in my sleep or during the act of.....well, you get the picture.

Go to bed, ya silly beast.

• onacruse
    onacruse

searcher! How ya doin', ya old >>insert appropriate Brit derogative<<

You know very well how those "patio conversations" go on and on and on...did you receive that Medal of Pain we sent you?

Hell no, bring it on.

Yep: life comes at you full-face--no past, no future, and usually not many real choices; "It is what it is, and that's all what it is."

So, I'll ask you, in turn, the same question (which we didn't have time to discuss when you were here LOL):

Wat is it for you? Reincarnation? Resurrection? Nothingness? Everythingness?

(Inquiring minds want to know)

• Golf
    Golf

Onacruise, my answer to your question, there is a moral satisfaction to doing good even if I don't fear death.

Guest77

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Craig:
    I dont wanna get all gnostic on ya... but I will.
    LOL

Once one has connected with the eternal "divine", it's permanant.
    It transcends life and death, happiness and sadness, pain and bliss.

To ask a more perenniel question - what is the nature of "love"?

• tink
    tink

i certainly like to tell myself i don't fear death, and apparently i'm not alone in that. what it boils down to is this: i don't fear what comes after my death, because i don't believe anything comes after it at all. i'll simply cease to be. i feel regret, but not fear, at this prospect.

however, i think there are very, very few people who can effectively eradicate in themselves the instinctual fear of death. if someone suddenly grabs me and holds a knife to my throat, will i be calm, unperturbed? i can't convince myself of that. my heart will race, i'll break out into a sweat, my breath will become shallow, rapid. although i may think myself prepared to die, the reality is that i can't fight my instinct to survive.

so grudgingly i'll admit that yes, on some very basic level, death does frighten me.

• Valis
    Valis

"There will be no regrets when the worms come"...

Third Eye Bilnd, "Send Me All Your Vampires"

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I wouldn't want my life to end just yet,,but if somebody told me for sure that i was going to the electric chair tomorrow,,I think I would except it and make my final preparations,,I probably have a real good laugh and maybe a good cry,,I would probably shut out any thoughts of worry,,and get a good nite sleep,,and then try to find out what was the meaning of my life,,but I wouldn't find any concrete reason,,and I would probably tell myself "O well".

• searcher
    searcher
    Wat is it for you? Reincarnation? Resurrection? Nothingness? Everythingness?

I have absolutely no idea, so I just dont bother thinking about it, I will face whatever it is when the time comes.

I dont want to suffer so I guess I have some trepidation about that, but dying, actually not being 'here', no worries, might even be an adventure.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Like Big Tex, it never dawned on me that I would really have to die some day until I was in my late twenties. I was raised in witness too, and we were supposed to be in the new system by now!

It is wierd, but I never started to fear dying until I had my second child. All of a sudden, I had developed a sense of mortality. It could because I had a lovely seizure right after I had her, lovely blood loss...shaking...quite fun...I remember feeling it coming on, and handing the baby to my husband, and telling him that I loved him. Then the shaking.......eeeeekkkkk!!! It was scarey...the only real moment I have ever had when I thought I was going to die!

It is because I don't want to leave my children motherless, or my husband a widowere. Oh, he would get on after a while without me. But, you can never replace someone's mom. I lost my own father at 19, and even though I was a young adult, I wasn't done needing him. My kids would get over it, but still....

I sometimes wish the concept of going to heaven is true...or just that dying really means going on to some other type of life...but I dunno.

The one thing that realizing that I will have to die someday, is to make me realize this:
    LIVE THE BEST LIFE YOU CAN!!!

My greatest fear about knowing I am about to die, and having a lot of regrets about bad choices, or not doing things I should have, or not being able to honestly say I gave my children a happy childhood and was always there for them.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

A disheartening thought crossed my mind last week and made me blue. It was this:

If there are evil people who saw heads off of screaming hostages in this life, what if in the afterlife there are evil spirits who do evil things to good spirits? I mean, I'd like to think we get some relief from suffering when we die. But what if we don't? What if the spirit world is just as *(&^%ED up as the material world?

I don't go around worrying about death constantly. I think if I knew it was coming it would scare me though. I sometimes get panic attacks during allergy season and I feel as if I am suffocating. I don't want to feel that way during the dying process. The best way to die in my opinion is to die peacefully while sleeping. I held my mother in my arms while she died. I saw the life leave her eyes. I heard her gasp for air for parts of two days, chainstoking they call it. I hope not to go through that kind of suffering. I really hope she is at peace and maybe there with her oldest son, my beloved brother Cory.

Flyin'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit