Do you fear death?

by onacruse 122 Replies latest jw friends

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali
    Is it all illusion?
    Or does our "connectedness" affect an "afterlife"?

Ross, I've heard it explained that all those spiritual guys are not saying the world is illusion, they're saying your world is illusion.

• searcher
    searcher
    they're saying your world is illusion.

I believe this is caused by where one focus's.

Let me try and explain and use Craig as an example.

Craig is a big guy and generally slow moving, so to focus on that I could think he is 'slow'

However, to talk with him shows he is quick and deep thinking, which offers up two new possibilities, he is quick, or he is deep.

So where I focus will determine my perception of Craig, but none of the points of focus will actually BE Craig, he is a combination of things that can only be seen with a broader view, so, to me, this proves that a narrow focus will give a false perception.

Open this up into a view of life, death or anything else and it makes the 'real' easier to see, at least, it does to me.

Posted with thanks to Craig for being an example to us all

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Mark:
    How does it feel, to be so in tune?
    Great, isn't it?

Searcher:
    A prime example!
    Hehehe.

Craig:
    Are you coming to Dallas?
    (I just had to get that in...)

• moonwillow
    moonwillow

no I don't fear death

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

I faced death a couple of years ago ... I learned very fast that it's not the fear of death that bothered me. Rather, the extreme pain of a massive heart attack overwhelmed me, driving out all fear of anything, even God ... I welcomed death if it had been the only way to end the pain. Yet, I did not want to die. I still don't want to die. Fortunately, I am alive to talk about it.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Time flies, Jim. It seems like yesterday.
    How have you been shaping up?

Did you get the last of the ops?

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali
    Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu,
    Buddhist, sufi, or zen. Not any religion

or cultural system. I am not from the East
    or the West, not out of the ocean or up

from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not
    composed of elements at all. I do not exist,

am not an entity in this world or the next,
    did not descend from Adam and Eve or any

origin story. My place is the placeless, a trace
    of the traceless. Neither body or soul.

I belong to the beloved, have seen the two
    worlds as one and that one call to and know,

first, last, outer, inner, only that
    breath breathing human being.

-Rumi

• forgetmenot
    forgetmenot

Dear Mark,

I believe there is some confusion. It is in death that I fear things to become stagnit and not change. It is in death that I fear loosing all of those things. Therefore, unless you (and others) have died, you have not lost like I fear loosing.

Forgetmenot

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Forgetmenot, of course I am speaking of something other than a physical death, so maybe we're not quite on the same page. However, all I can say is in the big picture death happens all the time, I don't mean just the death of individual organisms, but every moment. Death actually gives birth to something new, it brings about change, see birth and death are then two sides of the same coin called change. (no pun intended) So I hope that is helpful in some way. What I can tell you is fear died here with me, we call that dying into life - or change if you like.

Mark

• poppers
    poppers

Do I fear death? No. When I discovered who "I" really am I discovered that who I thought I was didn't even exist. That other "me" was a fictional character that had all sorts of fears, including fear of death. There is a direct knowing that what I really am is life itself, and life has no opposite or end. But there was a psychological death of the character who I thought I was. Sounds complicated, but in reality is simplicity itself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit