Do you fear death?

by onacruse 122 Replies latest jw friends

• onacruse
    onacruse

The ultimate test of our existence: termination.

I don't fear death...no reservations, no nightmares.

Craig

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Well, no ... not scared of it, ... but it's not like I wanna rush it or anything. It will catch up with me sooner or later.

• shamus
    shamus

I fear the pain. That's it.

• wasasister
    wasasister

Woody Allen says it all for me:

"I'm not afraid of death. I just don't want to be there when it happens."

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

I do. I believe that most of my fear lies with the fact I can not grasp that I will not live forever as I was taught in the JW faith.

It?s changed my whole notion of God and faith I believe learning the truth about religion. I think with the knowledge that this religion was full-o-lies, all religion must be. Therefore I find it hard to put my faith in any afterlife and believe of any higher power.

I feel that a gap is in my life and I am searching for something to sooth the fact I will not live forever and I am so very confused as to what I am looking for. I realize I am looking for a replacement of sorts and religion will not fill the void that I now experience.

Cassi

• onacruse
    onacruse

Dan-O,

It will catch up with me sooner or later.

And then what (if anything)? Does not the idea of "this, and then nothing" evoke a certain sense of fear?

shamus,

I fear the pain.
    What pain? An anticipatory pain (e.g. sense of loss of the future)? Or, the physical pain leading up to that death?
  • onacruse
    onacruse

wasa, so where do you think you will be after "it" happens? And why?

• onacruse
    onacruse

Cassi, on what basis do you say:

the fact I can not grasp that I will not live forever

??

The Christian concept of spiritual resurrection, and the JW (though not exclusive to them) concept of physical resurrection, are by no means the limit of possibilities.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Cassi, on what basis do you say:
    the fact I can not grasp that I will not live forever

??

The Christian concept of spiritual resurrection, and the JW (though not exclusive to them) concept of physical resurrection, are by no means the limit of possibilities.

It's based on my feeling now of fool me once shame on me, fool me twice...I just feel even if I were to subscribe to a dirrerent set of beliefs I would not truly believe because I would have a niggling ( thank you E-man ) feeling in the back of my head, this can't be true. Make any sense? Cassi

• onacruse
    onacruse

Cassi, that makes perfect sense! and reflects the paths of self-doubt and query that I've experienced this last 2 years.

I particularly relate to that "fool me once" (or twice, or 10x)

If we are to avoid yet again being fooled by others, then what's the option?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit