Do you fear death?

by onacruse 122 Replies latest jw friends

• kat2u
    kat2u

I dont fear death itself.I just want to know im not needed by anyone when I go and that my kids and family will be fine.

• santacruzchick
    santacruzchick

I don't fear death, I'm just not in a rush to meet it....although....

Last weekend I had a very bad trip on shrooms, and I died. I was mentally dead at least, and the hell I was in was so bad that I wondered if I were to physically kill myself if it would alleviate any of the torment. I'm very surprised I didn't kill myself, I wanted to jump out my window, but I was too paranoid to move my body. If I had a gun I think might not be here. Shrooms...love em' and hate em.'

• onacruse
    onacruse

As a general question:

Those of you who've said you don't fear death, but have offered no specific explanations of why you don't fear death...

what, exactly, makes you not fear death? I mean, after all, we're talking about the potential of complete extermination, utter annihilation, absolute non-existence beyond the expiration of our physical organism.

If this is so, then why the heck shouldn't we do absolutely and whatever strikes our "fancy," from murder to incest to infanticide to fatricide to matricide to etc etc, even as the animals (not to speak of "lower" biological organisms).

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    If this is so, then why the heck shouldn't we do absolutely and whatever strikes our "fancy," from murder to incest to infanticide to fatricide to matricide

Because sociability is in our genes? Killing babies is not the most sociable thing to do. Less sociable creatures don't seem to have as much of a problem with it.

• Brummie
    Brummie

I think people fear the unknown, I dont like the idea of going totally out of existence, though I think a lot of other people like the idea of me going out of existence.

Brummie

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I once feared death when my children were young because I didn't want them to forget me. It seems the older I become, the less afraid I am. I think as people get old and unable to enjoy living without pain and suffering, they may even welcome it.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Again, I must submit: "fatalism" (or, should I say: determinationism)?

And, ambiguities: "I don't like...I don't want..."

So what? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY do you believe what you believe??????

The "unknown"? What is it that is unknown?

DanTheMan:

Genetics???? Explain how that can be.

Look to your souls, and tell me what you see.

Craig

• wasasister
    wasasister

Ona: You're very introspective lately. What's up, Buddy?

If I were in your position, I know what I'd be doing to make my remaining time in the carnal world count.

Go find some new positions and quit worrying about it. Won't do no good anyhoo.

Favorite line from The Big Chill: "He went out with a bang, not a whimper..."

• onacruse
    onacruse

wasa, this is what I do, in my spare time! Just ask Kate! (She's so tired of listening to me blather, starting at 7 a.m.; I have no choice but to burden y'all) LOL

Jokes aside: This is a serious inquiry. I know what I believe, and (more importantly) why I believe it, for myself.

So, what is it for you? Reincarnation? Resurrection? Nothingness? Everythingness?

edit to add: "Meaning of My Being." Maybe an exercise in futility, but an exercise to which I am compulsively impelled...which leads right back to the premise of 'propietary life-right."

• searcher
    searcher

Hell no, bring it on.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
    of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved
    body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

"WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit