Do you fear death?

by onacruse 122 Replies latest jw friends

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Scooter

I've missed you lady, I hope you are well!!

Hugs

Cassi

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

(((((cassi))))) DITTO!

Sent a few emails to you......anxious to find a time when we can gab on the phone!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I dont fear death in the slightest (but do reserve a little concern for the few seconds preceding it ), and look forward to an afterlife. If I'm wrong about that then I'll likely not know much about it, so at least my perspective allows me to live to the maxim "fear only fear itself", in this regard.

Meanwhile, I'm finally giving it my best shot at enjoying life to the full!!!

Regarding "Trust", someone once quoted Frank Crane to me "You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough".
    Part of the joy of life is occasionally being foolish, but brushing down our humbled pride and carrying on regardless.

wb Scooter

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    anxious to find a time when we can gab on the phone!

How bout' now?

Rinnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg

Cassi

• Dan-O
    Dan-O
    And then what (if anything)?

I dunno. I'll find out when I get there. If I'm lucky, I'll be re-incarnated as a dog ... someone will pamper me, feed me, and scratch my belly. I'll get to ride around with my head sticking out of the car windows. And at the faint whiff of some ovulating female's scent on the breeze, I'll take off running to complete my appointed task.

Does not the idea of "this, and then nothing" evoke a certain sense of fear?

Nope. It just means that I've gotta get it done on this pass, because there may not be another.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

As death is an inevitable I have learned not to fear it, there is no point in doing so. What I do fear is old age, getting sick frail and withered, but over this I have some control. I take care of myself so that I can enjoy as much of life as I can, and I have also pacted with myself and my wife to end my own life before I become too old to care for myself.

One last climb into the Alpine peaks, I will dissapear into the clouds, inject myself with morphine and freeze, unless of course I get squashed like an ant by a School Bus of jeering children. It is after all the territory of younger people not to worry too much about death.

Any afterlife? Well no-body knows that there is one, and nobody knows that there is not. I agree with LittleToe that our present lives can be enhanced by believing that death is not the end of everything and even if it is the end of all things, we are not likely to know if we die believing. One thing is for sure, if God exists he sent us the instruction manual in Klingon.

HS

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Not death itself. I just want to have to have a family first. That whole "survival of the species" thing

• Sassy
    Sassy

I used to fear death.. My first husband used to try to scare me when he drove recklessly just to hear me squeal with fear. I'd close my eyes to make it less scary and then he'd only speed up so I could feel it more. I used to be afraid when he threated to blow away the whole family and then his own... then I feared death.. then one day I realized it was taking up too much emotion always being so afraid, so one day I quit worrying. It was like a light switch going on or off... and I took that power away from him..

Even other things in life that could cause concern.. I figure what happens happens.. I flew in a plane shortly after 9 11.. I wasn't afraid.. sure I thought about it, but wasn't afraid.

when I decided never to go back to the KH again.. at first I thought I was giving myself a death sentence.. but even with Armageddon possibilities.. I'm still not afraid..

I am living my life. I live it safely but not in fear.

• SAHS
    SAHS

Here?s an interesting little relativity-like ?thought experiment? regarding the experience of death:

Let me ask all of you, What exactly were you thinking about, worrying about, or experiencing on January 1st, 1800? Were you thinking, ?Boy, I?m really sick and tired of waiting to be born sometime in the next century,? or, ?This is kind of boring and scary, not being born yet?? I don?t think so. Although you can?t exactly remember just what you were thinking or feeling on January 1st, 1800, you can logically conclude that you were not thinking or feeling anything?because you weren?t born, and therefore didn?t exist yet. Your ?life??or that which is the entity specifically comprising your ?consciousness??was yet to be (and if your parents never meant, it never would be, in any event).

So, what is my point? Well, if we change the above date to January 1st, 2200?assuming that you won?t end up in the earthly Paradise, or in heaven, or in a dog?s body, or that they don?t invent a real bitch?n? version of Geritol in the immediate future that would allow you to live that long?well, ... wouldn?t it be the exact same thing as January 1st, 1800? I mean, nothing being ventured or being gained ... just, well, nothing (door knob status)?

So, when you think of it, there really is nothing to fear about the state of death ... because in the eternal time continuum, we?ve already been there before!

?SAHS

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Lately it's occurred to me that one day I will die. As stupid as that sounds, it's the truth. Coming from the JW background I always thought I would survive the Big A and never die.

So yeah, I am a little. Partly from the unknown, and partly from the possibilities. I've tried to picture what it must be like, to feel yourself slipping away. What happens, where do you go?

I mean if the atheists are right, well ... at least it wouldn't hurt. If traditional Christian teaching is correct, i.e. heaven/hell that kind of creeps me a little. I don't want to merge with anyone (even God) and I don't want to float on a cloud playing a harp either. Of course if the Muslims are right, the thought of 70 virgins is at least comforting.

As for hell, I just can't believe that. I guess it's that I'm not ready to die, so the thought of actually shuffling off this mortal coil is a bit frightening. I want to see what happens next.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit