Back from the Memorial......Special Announcement at the end....

by ScoobySnax 91 Replies latest jw friends

• Special K
    Special K

I too find this to be very circular... sort of like a cat chasing it's tail...

It may be very illogical, doesn't accomplish alot,.. but the cat is happy chasing it's own tail and is only taken back when it forgets and bites it's own tail. Then logic still may not kick in just bewilderment.

Sounds like you are about ready to leave us "apostates" and head back to the fold scooby.

Be happy and go in peace.... for it is your life to lead.

sincerely

Special K

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Hi ScoobySnax,

I just read Mary's account of the Memorial Talk at her Hall, and since I didn't go, I seriously would be interested in your account of what the actual talk consisted of at your Hall.

Was Jesus the main focus, as well as His words and the accounts in the Christian Greek Scriptures? Or was your talk similar to hers, concentrating more on the anointed and the Hebrew scriptures?

I will ask my kids when they are back in town next week; for now I just have to wonder. I'm very interested to know.

I appreciate your assistance!

• undercover
    undercover

My experience of going to the memorial:

People were glad to see me and came up and chit-chated about various things. I saw only a couple of people avert their eyes when I made eye contact with them. Most were genuinely glad to see me.

The talk itself was well-done, though it was typical JW-speak and glossed over some things that could easily be taken issue with(such as only eleven apostles were present when the bread and wine were passed)

No special announcements, just the announcement about the "special" talk later in the month. Something you do every year is no longer special, but annual.

Regarding Scoob's impression of how he was treated at the hall: If all the meetings were as pleasant as the memorial, then going to the hall wouldn't be such an issue. But think about it. If we decide to attend meetings, if only on Sunday, sooner or later the elders and others will start pressuring us to "do more". We'll be asked to "reach out". I don't like the term "love bomb", but unfortunately, that's what happens at the memorial if we go, we get love-bombed. But, keep up the meeting attendance and then the pressure to be assimilated becomes greater and greater. I could go to the hall on Sundays(if nothing else is planned) just to socialize without any problem. That's nothing different than most other churches. But JWs just don't want your presence at a meeting once in a while. They want your dedication to their cause. They want your time to further their cause. They want your soul.

Try it for a while. Go to the hall on Sundays. Enjoy the fellowship. See how long before they insist on more meeting attendance. Before they insist on going in service. Before they insist on joining the "school". Before they insist you reach out for more "privileges". As long as you toe the line, things will be great. As soon as you resist, you'll see the good times end. You'll be "marked". Maybe even unofficially shunned by the more zealous types.

But, if want to return, then you should. Following your heart is not so bad as long as the mind is not completely ignored. If your heart wants to go back and your mind finds no reasaon not to, then by all means, do it. But if ever your mind should raise a red flag, please do not ignore it. Find out why your mind is concerned and make decisions based on both mind and heart.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I don't know how this thread got so off track.... oh, yeah. Somebody wanted to give a pro-JW witness about the memorial...

About the memorial - yes I did go, but was seriously considering getting out of it by saying I was going with friends to a different one... they wouldn't buy that - I've got no witness friends!!!!

Anyway, it was great because this was the first time I could read the context of the scriptures they sited and know they were full of shit. Thanks to this board and other sites I've been reading lately. And this was the first time I could see so easily it wasn't about Jesus or observing anything, it was all about the visitors. Join us! Join us! Join us! Join us! Join us! So transparent. I can remember when it seemed like it should be a more emotional thing, but in reality it's stuffy, unemotional and very business like. Not a celebration at all.

And I completely agree with Mulan.... Let's get over it! I certainly aspire to that!

• waiting
    waiting

Have only read the first page (at work now) -

My husband & I didn't go..........once again. Amazingly enought, the local jw's rented an American Legion Hall to have their memorial. And renting costs money - which they're giving to that organization which celebrates the Armed Forces of America.

But I can't go have dinner there - because I'd be giving them money.

Must add.......my mil is 85 & a devout jw. We just lie & say we're going to a memorial in another city.....then go shopping. It works for us - and she knows, somewhere in her denial.

I miss some of the friends too - the local sisters used to LOVE to dress up special for the memorial - Easter Sunday Best!

As for the talk - if one thinks back to the scriptural version - Jesus instituted NOT just the "passing of emblems" - but PARTAKING of bread & wine........ ALL his followers were to PARTAKE in rememberance of his sacrifice. JW's don't partake.........they refuse to partake.....thus refusing to obey Jesus.

As for the Special Meeting to invite all interested the following Sunday after the memorial? Always has been a Special Meeting the Sunday after the Memorial. Strike while the iron's hot.

Glad you had a good time visiting, Scooby. Always good to see old acquaintances.

waiting

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Jesus instituted NOT just the "passing of emblems" - but PARTAKING of bread & wine........ ALL his followers were to PARTAKE in rememberance of his sacrifice. JW's don't partake.........they refuse to partake.....thus refusing to obey Jesus.
    Exactly! The Dubs have a great rejection ceremony.

• marie67
    marie67

I totally understand scooby! Although at this time I am not inactive and no one would ever guess I have these new found beliefs! iN FACT people look up to me. Always been a strong witness but must say never a judgmental one and very much liked. i have no disillustions that if my true feelings came out that would pretty much change! i have slowed down considerably since the birth of my baby--good excuse!!!1

but i would never critize anyone on their choice to return!!! sometimes the troof can give some a purpose!! it used to be mine and now i'm in quandry on what to do with my life---- i'm a smart girl eventually i'll figure it out marie

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

I feel absolutely no need to go to the memorial. I can stay home and contemplate on what Christ did for us without having to associate with liars and hyprocrites. I'm afraid I would be in the bathroom vomiting if I had to step back inside a KH.

Going back to the "vomit" can only bring heartache and repression by the "Boy's Club".

Hoo boy...guess I'm pretty outspoken about this scooby. Don't mean to hurt your feelings...but jeeeeeeeeeeshhh...why let yourself in for more crap???

Cathy L.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Back from the Memorial......Special Announcement at the end....

Oh Scooby,

Please don't scare me like that.When I first saw this thread I thought it said "special announcement OF the end"

Thank god... I still have a few weeks... or months at the most before god squishes me as I deserve.

Life is good..I think I will go out and have one last beer... or maybe 2..2..2

• nojudgement
    nojudgement
    Try it for a while. Go to the hall on Sundays. Enjoy the fellowship. See how long before they insist on more meeting attendance. Before they insist on going in service. Before they insist on joining the "school". Before they insist you reach out for more "privileges". As long as you toe the line, things will be great. As soon as you resist, you'll see the good times end. You'll be "marked". Maybe even unofficially shunned by the more zealous types.

Undercover. Excellent and right on target. Scoob, if you are still out there listening. What is described by Undercover is exactly what happened to me. I was inactive about 2 years ago. It had been about 6-7 months and I went the memorial. I got all caught up in the emotion of it. I think it's like going back to an old bad relationship. At first it feels so good and comforting. Especially after a break. But then slowly it starts coming back to you. Right after that, I started attending Sunday's. It felt good. Then the elders "encouraged" me to start coming during the week. So I did. Next...they wanted me out in Field Service. I resisted at first because I HATED field service my whole life. But, like a good R&F I started going again. Of course, this was only after an elder took me aside to make sure that I hadn't been doing anything immoral while I was inactive and could still be considered in good standing. I even started a study with someone at work. Boy, oh, boy....I was really busy again. I was going nuts after a few months. Was this enough??? Nooooooooo. Not too long later, at a picnic I was dragged to the school overseer "insisted" I join the school.

Side point - I hated all of the extra "association" I felt pressured to participate in "after book study pizza nite" "so and so's shower" "picnics" - I had worldy friends from my period of inactivity and I felt fake at witness gatherings. I had nothing in common and felt I wasn't being myself.

Anyway...I wouldn't be surprised if you end up right back where you started. I did. I cracked after they insisted I joined the school. I realized it would never end. Even if I quit my job, sold all of my possessions, and went preaching in Iraq, they would still find a way to make me feel like I wasn't doing enough and needed to reach out more. It all starts with attending the memorial and the little "feel good" that happens. It's short lived....and it's all vanity and striving after the wind. Just like King Solomon said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit