FORMER JW ELDERS, on JWD, 2004 LIST

by jst2laws 181 Replies latest jw friends

• nilfun
    nilfun

Slipnslidmaster wrote:

Boy, you start mentioning elders and everybody gets all nervous and touchy, myself included. What a work over we all got from those tiny men in little rooms. Nothing evidences it more then the variety of posts on this thread.

Yes, an obviously extremely triggery subject.

• onacruse
    onacruse

In the spirit of what jst2 intended: I was a reg pio, Bethelite, and MS (never an elder). Baptized in 1962. As true-blue a JW for 20 years as anyone could ask, and yet another 20 years struggling with increasingly difficult questions and no answers.

And to add my own experience with our lady mods: I couldn't tell you how many times I've called them and asked for their opinions, and cherished their advice.

"In front of every decent man is a better woman."

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Craig:

"In front of every decent man is a better woman."

Now THAT'S self-depreciating!
    Much as I love women, and think the world of them, that's the kind of language that goes too far, IMHO.

Are you saying that there are two classes of man?
    One is decent - yet only by virtue of having a "better" woman in front of him?
    The other isn't decent at all???

All those years us guys had to be tied to the apron-strings and the sniping of our mothers / wives / etc., whilst maintaining a front of being "head" in our own home!
    "Viva la revolution" - may some of us guys get some equality (and balls) around here!!!

That comment sux, dude - retract it or face the consequences publicly, privately, and any other way!!!!

LT of the "Madame Guillotine" class.

Edited to add:
    Oops, I forgot to add emoticons...

~ducking and running~

• flower
    flower
    This topic just goes to show that how ever much people try to help and how ever much you do for some people, a few will try and turn it into something else.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought it was an example of how one person can have an opinion and another person have a different opinion. I thought it was an example of how people can respectfully disagree. I was expressing genuine concerns. Thanks for validating and understanding that I felt something and expressed it instead of suppressing it. I thought that was what this was about.

If you have a problem with Elders all being men, go and bitch about it at the KH - it's nothing to do with us! We can't help who was and who wasn't an elder and they should be welcomed just as everyone else is.

You really should qualify these statements and direct them solely towards the people who were having a problem with the male/female issue. If that is ALL that was got out of the concerns expressed then obviously you didnt read them.

The ex-elders on this site who are helping to run it are very humble and do their best to help others. They will happily take advice and correction from lady mods in admin so I think some of the 'charges' are low blows and unfair.

Just as unfair and low as this is if it is directed at everyone who disagreed with this topic. Not everyone disagreed for the same reason and it invalidates everyones feelings by just picking the one reason out like it was the original intent of my expressing concerns.

Now let me just keep my trap shut and not disagree or say ANYTHING I feel for fear I disagree with the wrong person and have to listen to unfitting and unwarranted admonition from the powers that be here.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

GEEEEZ ! ((((( Mouthy ))))) ((((( Flower ))))) ((((( Talesin ))))) ((((( Big Tex )))))

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I think it's easy to lose sight of the fact that we're ALL human beings, here.
    We've all had a variety of experiences, some of which have affected us deeply.
    Consequently, it's not surprising that folks get more than a little upset, at times.
    "Trigger words" are just that...

(((Talesin)))
    (((Chris)))
    (((anybody else, who feels like they need a hug)))

• Englishman
    Englishman

I was just musing.......Hey! I was a great public speaker!

I learnt that art from the dubs. I still use it occasionally too, when giving a toast at a wedding, running a pub quiz or even arguing to an income tax tribunal. I used it for many years in my role as a regional sales manager, and have no trouble whatsoever in expressing myself to a large group of people.

So if someone has been an elder and acquired a certain way of speaking that may even carry an air of authority does that nullify the value of what he says?

I mean..lots of people have an air of authority about them. We gonna fall out with everyone who has this air of authority just because it reminds us of some dub elders? You going to tell the bank manager to piss off just as he's about to grant you a loan because he triggers some old elder-type memories here?

C'mon good people, how long is it going to take you to put this one to bed?

Englishman.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I think it may be time to order the pizzas now, Mike!!

Ozzie

BTW what a gr8 result, eh?

• Englishman
    Englishman
    BTW what a gr8 result, eh?

O yes!

But nothing will better the feeling of having beaten the old enemy. Southampton.

Englishman.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Mike:

C'mon good people, how long is it going to take you to put this one to bed?

In fairness, not everyone has got over the borg yet.
    Some take longer than others, and as you well know, the wounds can be very fresh.

I took a re-read of the thread, and I suspect that Talesin will be as surprised at Chris's reaction to her post as he was to her's.
    (I pay careful attention to Emoticons, hugs, humour and tone: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/69120/1086079/post.ashx#1086079 ).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit