Are Posters Deleted Forever?

by Simon 223 Replies latest forum announcements

• Englishman
    Englishman

'Tell it to the Marines'

Q. Why do people sometimes say 'Tell it to the Marines', when they hear a story they don’t believe? (Anon)

The version of the origin of the phrase Tell it to the Marines, approved by the Royal Marines tells, of a typically wise and experienced officer of the Maritime Regiment (the forerunner of today’s Royal Marines) verifying a yarn about flying fish for the benefit of King Charles II in the 1660s. Even then, Marines had been everywhere, done everything, and knew everything worth knowing..... Unfortunately this version was actually invented by the novelist W. P. Drury (a retired Lieutenant Colonel of the Royal Marines) in the 1900s.

An earlier reference, more in keeping with the contemporary meaning of the phrase, is found in an anonymous work of naval fiction, The Post Captain; or, The Wooden Walls well manned: comprehending a view of naval society and manners (London: 1806). In this, Captain Brilliant, of HMS Desdemona, when a tale started to grow too tall for his taste, was given to saying, 'You may tell that to the Marines, but I'll be d----d if the Sailors will believe it!'.

Pasted by Englishman.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

LOL @ Mike. I'd always wondered where that saying came from.
    So what can you tell me about the price of fish?

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I posted this once, but the demons must have ate it............. Englishman is sexy,,,,,,,,dont cha think?

• Englishman
    Englishman

Why thank you ma'am!

Regretfully, the avatar is not of me but of my hero, Benny Hill.

The master of inyourendo!

Englishman.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Dahlin' , I have seen your pics...............my heart does not go quiver over a beautiful face,( that,,, you do have btw) ,,,,,,,,but of intellect ,wit , humor and a gentle spirt...........

• Englishman
    Englishman

Why, bless you Lying Eyes, I've gone all gooey...

On to the thread topic, this is in answer to received queries:

This is not an amnesty, nor are Admin and forum assistants generally seeking apologies from deleted posters. Nor are we offering any.

Re who would be likely to be accepted back onto the forum: Only where there has been profound, continuous and wounding cruelty aimed at Admin or forum assistants from a handful of posters would more be expected. General past sniping and criticism would not necessarily be a barrier to anyone who agrees to abide by the forum rules in future.

This is a 2-way process, and that will not change.

Englishman.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Englishman: LOL

• little witch
    little witch

For Scooby,

I have read most all of your posts since you arrived here. You recieved warm welcome from all.

Many of us have gone out of our way to be patient and kind to you. Often you bring up interesting and heated questions, and mostly we all try to give you our best advice and opine.

You generally show critisism for out efforts, assume that we are wrong and say so without showing a willingness to talk things out and discuss our differences.

I continue to remain patient with you, but feel you need some personal responsibility for your own behavior here. You use a boxing technique. Jab and dodge. And after a while it gets repeatative and forseeable.

Take for instance your jab at Sheila. You said (loosely) that other sites were more lenient in how they treat people. That JW's should be granted some special favor that society at large does not deserve. What you said was rediculous, and when someone pointed out that such thinking is flawed, you jabbed at her again with the marine thing knowing her son is a marine, but not addressing the bigger issue (that other sites are moderated etc).

You need to learn that when you continually irritate that people will respond in kind. You can wear on the most patient of people with such behavior.

I have also noted your willingness to spar with Minimus. You know that you are not interested in any meaningful discussion with him, just another boxing match.

When have you ever on jwd welcomed someone unconditionally and continued a cyber friendship (other than BT and Cruzan)? and is that only because you feel you have a moderator in your pocket?

Others have been just as kind, but get no acknowledgement from you.

When have you ever joined in meaningful conversation and stuck it out to the end listening to anybody elses differing views without screaming "foul"?

I have yet to see it happen. I say these things not to hurt you, but I want you to take personal responsibility for your actions. I don't base this on one or several of your postings, but on them all as a whole.

God knows I am not an angel, but I can at least revisit my comments, and apologize if I feel I was wrong, or misunderstood. If you don't care about people here then why visit? Do you have a motive that you are willing to share? Do you have an excuse for all the jabs, or is it dodging time again?

I continue to hope that you are sincere in some way that I just don't understand. I hope that you can reveal a little about your true feelings and that you can learn empathy for people.

• Valis
    Valis

Nice post lw...

and is that only because you feel you have a moderator in your pocket?

*LOL* I can see it now....New! AMAZING! Product from Ron Popiel! The Pocket Moderator! It gives subtle and not so subtle vibrating actions when you cross the line...Guaranteed! Call now and welll throw in a second Pocket Moderator for free!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    is that only because you feel you have a moderator in your pocket?

NOT an accurate statement.

So because I am friendly with Scooby or I've been patient when he goes off, that somehow implies I do him favors? I really resent this implication.

You know, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If you try to show some consideration or give someone space that means they've got you in their pocket. If you don't give any latitude you're an "elder" in a "cyber KH". Good grief.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit