Are Posters Deleted Forever?

by Simon 223 Replies latest forum announcements

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

I belong to a couple of professional forums related to architecture.

By far, this forum is more lenient than these other forums that I belong to.

The level of immaturity that is put up with here is well beyond anything that I have seen at other boards.

But these other boards are run by professionals for professionals so that we have an environment that is productive to it?s created purpose. And that purpose is for us to be able to exchange ideas and help each other out.

Complain to the owner or moderators about how they run things, and there?d be a smackdown for sure. Followed by deletion if you didn?t straighten up and fly right.

Plus you look like a complete ass arguing with someone who works at ILM, Pixar, Discreet, or WETA.

One board that is just for CG Architecture, not software specific, requires that everyone register with their full first and last names, along with making sure the software you use is registered. It?s serious enough that if you post work that is done with pirated software, you get turned in to the proper authorities.

For the owners and moderators of these forums, it?s a labor of love.

And I have learned much from these forums. I have been able to take what I have learned and then use that information in real life and improve myself as a professional. I have gained a handful of friends that I could drop in on if I was ever in the area.

The ?labor of love? seems to be the same impetus for the owners and moderators here as well.

And I have found this board to be invaluable to myself for where I am at in life right now.

With the helpful information and counsel that I have gained here, I hope I can continue to apply this to my life as well and have it enriched. I certainly have gained friendships deeper here than at other boards.

It seems that some people who fail to make the application of what is learned here into their lives outside of the DB are the ones who can have problems. Problems because they have no other life outside the DB to work out the lessons learned here.

Which is understandable because as JW?s, we typically have our lives ripped away from us, leaving us with nothing.

Just my $0.02

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Does that mean that if you've been put on restricted posting limits before, you now have to ask for them to be re-instated to the full quota.....or are you updated immediately? Do you have to ask a moderator or a forum assistant that put you on them in the first place? Does this go before a "board" for consideration, or is it automatic?

I think JWD needs to look at the reasons for limiting or deleting posters in the first place, surely everyones viewpoint is as valid as the one before or after. In a free society surely moderation is surely not necessary, people can always hit the ignore button on a forum, the same as they can hit the off switch on a tv, walk away in a real life conversation. Moderation to me smacks of all you seem to have left, you hated it. I won't go on. This after all just a forum. No?

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    The level of immaturity that is put up with here is well beyond anything that I have seen at other boards.

Paul, thanks so much for that one clear statement! I don't have experience with too many other boards, so that's nice for me to know.

Scooby, I know you've seen some of the very hurtful posts that have occurred, and that's what the board is trying to avoid. People's opinions are one thing -- personal attacks another. A lot of people who post here are very fragile and can be hurt easily, and if this board is going to HELP people we have to be sensitive to their needs.

And, as an aside, I always enjoy your posts, so I hope you will stay around for a long, long time. You too, Paul! I've really felt involved in both of your lives, even if only by posts and PM's, and it's great to see both of you moving forward in your lives to a better, saner place.

I feel a lot better about my JW experience and where I am now, but I still see threads that I want to post on, and things that make me think, and just maybe I can help someone else because of my experiences. You can too. In the process of doing that we all are helped.

Love,

Nina

• Bendrr
    Bendrr
    I'm sure that Mike's comments were meant satiricaly.

No I was absolutely serious Mike, as you can see from the subsequent responses. (types with a deadpan poker-face before pointing out the very obvious but difficult to overlook punchline).

Ok, I better stop. One out of thousands gets it. Tough crowd.

Y'all....I was JOKING!!!! Gee whiz! Drop the sensitivity training, it ain't doing you any good!

Mike.

p.s. c'mon, you gotta admit it was funny!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Scooby,

In a free society surely moderation is surely not necessary, people can always hit the ignore button on a forum, the same as they can hit the off switch on a tv, walk away in a real life conversation. Moderation to me smacks of all you seem to have left, you hated it. I won't go on. This after all just a forum. No?

Oh yes you will, and you do.

In a free society surely moderation is surely not necessary

Go tell it to the Marines, or perhaps all the other Boards around the Internet Free World that *do* have moderation on their discussion boards. In fact, find me one that fits your idea of 'freedom' Scooby.

HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Mike,

Ok, I better stop. One out of thousands gets it. Tough crowd.

As usual, you are so much more intelligent than the rest of us.

HS

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

<<Nina>>

As always good points.

I think however, that moderation only occurs here selectively by some charged with that commision. It seems at times that so long as your post fits in with the general anti/ex/jw theme here it is acceptable. Anything considered otherwise is moderated heavily. Many will attack you not for being "pro-jw" but for being a "troll".or starting trouble. Its human nature to want to fight back in how you feel, and its then that many forum assistants/mods are keen to lock your thread for causing so called dissention. I think this is wrong.

I understand that things have happened before that needed moderation, but it is unacceptable for a small minority here who hold power to crack down so heavily on another minority that may not agree with the general concensus all the time. Its not a whinge, its just an observation. I know I can leave at any time and get on with my "real" life. But I think it is a point worth making.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

The Marines HS>>>>??????

What are you on about? The Marines?

Listen, I'm sure many other discussion boards on the net that I've not had the priveledge of visiting have "moderation"......but JW issues are a bit different to them I'm sure. The feelings are a bit tender and raw, more so than say a forum about antiques or sports cars (or even the Marines) Don't you agree?

Freedom is a very subjective word HS.... It is however a word I would expect to be associated with a forum such as this. Otherwise what would draw people here in droves as it does?

HS.....My idea of "Freedom" is that anyone who has experiences of the JWs would be able to come here and post their feelings in the context of this forums title.

btw....Oh yes I will, and yes I will do.

Scoob

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    My idea of "Freedom" is that anyone who has experiences of the JWs would be able to come here and post their feelings in the context of this forums title

And so they do Scoob. So they do. I did, and so did you.

But where is that line? Where is it that one person is offended and another is enlightened?

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

If my feelings involve lashing out and hurting others with my words, I would expect my "right" to be "free" would be curtailed.

My personal model is that this is not a community in the social sense. It's more like a group of friends that hangs out at a bar. We can have a great deal of fun, but there are lines we can't cross. We may even get leeway if we're regulars - but there are still lines.

There are things that I want to say that don't fit here. I say them elsewhere. And there are issues that I have to work out which are not appropriate, nor responsible, nor efficacious to work out here - so I work them out elsewhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit