Are Posters Deleted Forever?

by Simon 223 Replies latest forum announcements

• Valis
    Valis

THIS IS FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO MISSED IT! OR CHOSE NOT TO GET IT!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

From Simon's post on page one:

Most deletions are not permanent however.

"Most" being key here, I would think.

We appreciate that some are the results of misunderstandings or personal circumstances coloring people's behavior.

And some are the by-product of mental instability and/or criminal intent.

Each case will be considered individually and obviously, how people behave will have a big bearing on the decision.

Of course, if the misbehaving is going on in back-channels, you (the mods) won't have any way of noting or controlling that. We don't really have to even consider the obvious fact that anyone could be misbehaving on back-channels, because that goes w/o saying. What we're concerned with here are the few that have proven already that they will use this db as a resource to harm others.

We are attempting to create a safe and welcoming environment for ex-Jehovah's Witnesses...

And how can that be accomplished if people proven to be dishonest are allowed to participate? It's not like they can just change their shirt and suddenly they are honest. It's a deep seated problem, and while I pity them, I don't see any reason to believe that this board can in any way help them overcome their problem. OTH, it most definitely can make their psychosis worse, and they most definitely can harm innocent people here.

• Valis
    Valis

well Six...psychos are gonna be psychos...people are going to do things behind the scenes, but you know what? How would we know unless it was something done here that could be recorded? Oh and there are tools in place to monitor just about all activity on the board.. As well, what would stop that user from coming back under another user name? This provides the opportunity for even more mischief. At least if someone comes back using the same name the general population of readers can discern for themselves based on past experiences or what they have read here. I see your point, but we have to at least try. The whole point of doing this was to try and have people come back and be civil to one another. If something happens to any member of the board then it should be reported post haste. I'm sorry you don't approve of a particular descision, but from my side of the table mods get stuck in the middle trying to make everyone happy. BTW, I didn't bttt this because of you Sixie, but I know you have strong feelings. Just try and see it from our perspective please.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    ...psychos are gonna be psychos...people are going to do things behind the scenes, but you know what? How would we know unless it was something done here that could be recorded?

Geez mon, didn't I just say:

"Of course, if the misbehaving is going on in back-channels, you (the mods) won't have any way of noting or controlling that. We don't really have to even consider the obvious fact that anyone could be misbehaving on back-channels, because that goes w/o saying. What we're concerned with here are the few that have proven already that they will use this db as a resource to harm others."

Also, having an attitude of "psychos will be psychos" is antithetical to any effort to keep this place safe.

Oh and there are tools in place to monitor just about all activity on the board.. As well, what would stop that user from coming back under another user name?

Well, some of those monitoring tools I suppose. As well, the particular asshole we are speaking of (and that too kindly) can make up new names, new situations, new cities of origin, etc, but so far can't really help but show their lying personality within a few post.

The whole point of doing this was to try and have people come back and be civil to one another.

Civil schmivel, lol. Civil is the least of all of our worries and we (you, me, Simon, all the mods) know it. But while we're on civil, it isn't very civilized to allow one person to scam other people.

There simply is no way to defend allowing a proven shyster on a discussion board. Not once he's been caught.

I'm sorry you don't approve of a particular descision, but from my side of the table mods get stuck in the middle trying to make everyone happy. BTW, I didn't bttt this because of you Sixie, but I know you have strong feelings. Just try and see it from our perspective please.

I'm trying and I'm failing. I think in most situations, the mods get the short end of the stick, damned if you do, and damned if you don't. This case is different. Who could possibly protest other than the perpetrator? That person should be in therapy, not on the internet. Anyone who would be bothered by this particular criminal's exile has their head so far up their ass that you couldn't make them happy if you were crack cocaine coated intestinal flora.

I think it's wrong, I think you all have to know it's wrong, and I can't see any reason other than this...

.. As well, what would stop that user from coming back under another user name? This provides the opportunity for even more mischief.

...for allowing it. What that thinking misses is that there is nothing stopping this person from using another name anyway, so it's irrelevant.

Anyway, you know where I stand on it; I'm done with the subject.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit