So, the Womens March ... What Is It For?

by Simon 401 Replies latest social current

• eva luna
    eva luna

fuck me it's January

time to kick up the dust for the board?

You are a smart man I cant believe you have.................never mind.

• Razziel
    Razziel

For the last 8 years, every time I visited one half of the family I constantly had to reassure them that Obama wasn't coming to confiscate their guns.

Looks like for the next 8 years, every time I visit the other half of the family I'll constantly have to reassure them that Trump isn't coming to confiscate their vaginas.

• bohm
    bohm

Razziel: Hahahaha *snort* hahahhahah. That is so funny!

I am happy you found a way to equate a policy question with a man bragging about grabbing women in the crotch!

Makes you see how hysterical all the fuss about a bit of good-humored sexual harassment at the workplace is in the first place!

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

Maybe it's just me, but I think the protest marches in the 60's accomplished a lot. And reading my history, I see many of the same thoughts expressed about the uselessness of those marches.

I'm not saying that misogyny results in the same injustices that racial prejudice does, but anyone who denies that women aren't discriminated against is in another universe.

As seen in the White House Press conference this morning, all Trump cared about was whether he had more people at his inauguration. Obviously the march bothered the new administration.

It kind of makes me sad when people on this site give the old "well I agree that women are discriminated against and blah blah blah blah blah, but what good does all this protest do?"

I think it shows that there are still people who are determined to fight for their rights.

• Mage
    Mage

I don't see why the new administration wouldn't be bothered by it. If tons of people got together and said you are a terrible person, most likely you'd be bothered by it too whether you are truly terrible or not :P

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    `ll bet the majority of all those women and men taking part in all these protests in the USA never took the time or effort to vote at the election .

That's the silliest thing I have seen so far on this topic. To think that people who went through the effort to march in a protest, many of them coming from out of state, wouldn't have taken the five minutes to fill out a ballot and mail it in is absurd.

I voted, so did everyone I know that marched today.

Evidence?

I didn't think so.

• azor
    azor

I think Sam Harris sums up well one of the largest concerns about Trump. It is how much he and his sycophants are like L. Ron Hubbard and the Scientologists.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Excellent OP and thread.

Simon, why don't you just admit you like Trump now? - pathetic.

@Simon - was that woman with the placard in OP protesting Trump's inauguration?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Just have to add a few more things:

First, people have the democratic right to protest and these people marching were correctly exercising that right.

Second, I'm also confused as to what their aim is. It could well be a chance to let them vent. If so, this is ok - being an ex-JW, I know how important it is to have an outlet to vent.

Third, the cynic within me is sorely tempted by the view that this protest/march is simply an opportunity for trendy people to posture and preen in public, and contrast themselves against an idiot like Trump.

Do these women marching really believe that Trump will oppress them by removing women's rights?

• Simon
    Simon

I agree. I think it's a feel-good event for those taking part and the vague goals support this.

These marches are turning into the ultimate form of "virtue signalling".

Do they actually change anything? No. But they do provide some energy for people who want to build a political movement.

Unfortunately, it's divisive and has already been taken over. One of the women behind it apparently promotes Sharia Law and has links to Hamas and the groups funding it as pro-Political-Islam and try to silence critics of it.

It's a stated goal to take over the left to promote Islam and looks like the plan is working perfectly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit