So, the Womens March ... What Is It For?

by Simon 401 Replies latest social current

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

This is not an ordinary election, where one side just lost. I wouldn't care about that.

This is an election where lies triumphed over truth.

Where racial hatred triumphed over tolerance.

Where science is now suspect and a free press is not guaranteed.

Where a man who admits to worst kind of disgusting behavior towards women has been elevated to the highest office in the country. A vain, thin skinned, strutting peacock, who believes climate change is a hoax, who lies with impunity.

It's a tragedy.

Hell yes people are going to protest. Just voting for the other side is totally inadequate to this travesty. Everyone who has a conscience should be protesting. How else to make our voices heard? It's little enough God knows, but it's all we have.

Lisa 🌹

• bohm
    bohm
    Free press? Define "free". You mean the corporate for-profile press with close ties to politicians? No, I don't trust them. There are some good journalists doing good work, they are typically not the headlines that tend to focus on the unimportant. Real issues are complex and require work to expose and explain.

By free press I mean the mainstream press, nytimes, WSJ, WAPO, etc. Thank you for answering my questions. I disagree nearly 100% but I don't think I can change your view -- this is not saying that I think the press is 100% reliable.

Do you think Trump is more or less prone to lying than the mainstream press?

I trust what I can read myself.

So does I. That's why I don't post things as, say, Rybolovlevs plane being spotted in Concorde, NC the same day Trump held a rally there (Rybolovles was the same person who brought a 95M house from Trump, arguably above market price) because I can't verify it.

But let's take todays press conference: According to the Trump administration, the inaguation was the most attended in all of history (is that true?), there were more people on the subway than during the Obama inaguation (is that true?) and it was the first time protective pads were used on the lawn (is that true?). This information appears to be in conflict with other evidence reported from many different sources.

What am I to make of that?

All sources of news tells things that are false, or put a spin on events. I think we both agree that is bad, but in that case it is bad both when Trump does it and when CNN does it. The truth is the truth no matter who tells it.

Try arguing for the opposite point of view and you might learn things about people and your own beliefs.

The past months I have read RT today and breitbart every day. I try to follow the nut-right on youtube as well. It is very enlightening. What sources that oppose your view do you follow on a regular basis?

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon, why don't you just admit you like Trump now? Really, you don't have to pretend anymore, own up to it, you will feel better.

Because I don't. I think he's a vile pathetic excuse for a human being and a complete sociopath.

This is an election where lies triumphed over truth.

Meaningless soundbite

Where racial hatred triumphed over tolerance.

Convenient soundbite and unfair labeling

Where science is now suspect and a free press is not guaranteed.

Science denial (both climate and vaccines) is the biggest threat and most important issue, way more important than how many people showed up for various events. I don't think America has had a decent free press for quite some time. They gave Obama a pass on too much for too long and it's become the norm.

Hell yes people are going to protest. Just voting for the other side is totally inadequate to this travesty. Everyone who has a conscience should be protesting. How else to make our voices heard? It's little enough God knows, but it's all we have.

But you talk as though your candidate was the bastion of truth and justice and she just wasn't, anywhere near close. She's one of the worse, most corrupt politicians there is.

Whatever side we're on, we have little to no chance of any reform of the opposition. What everyone can do though is push for change on their own side and make it better.

Right now, the left is a pitiful wreck of whiny annoying cretins that need a slap.

• bohm
    bohm

Oh and just a thing.

I agree that the monetary ties between large, mainstream media sources and big business deserve scrutiny. But if we are going to use that as an argument to distrust the mainstream press we got to recognize that the "youtube truthtellers" too have a monetary interest in what they are doing. Case in point, Gad saad (and I haven't listened to enough of him to form a view of him) is getting a very sizeable monthly sum on patreon for putting out videos which (I assume) has a general ideological flavor.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I'm glad you asked this Simon. I don't get it either. I understand women wanting to be respected and being mad that a pussy grabbing Cheeto looking wispy haired bully won the presidency over a woman that they thought had it in the bag. I understand that they don't like the tone of the campaign. But as some have stated, this protest was to make their voices heard. Who heard them? What did they say? I don't get what was accomplished other than women venting and being communal with one another. It felt good to them, and I see ladies that I'm friends with posting on Facebook about it and they're so proud to have gone and want to tell their grandkids about it one day, but if it is noise that signifies nothing specifically, what's the point?

It reminds me of the Operation Wall Street or whatever where people rallied around many different ideologies with no real common goal other than hating a segment of society. There were no clear goals, they just wanted to be heard. That's what I see here. If you're going to do all of this, and I applaud doing it, have some specific demands. It seemed like just a big party for the ladies to get together and that's cool too, but people are acting like something was accomplished and I guess I missed what that was to anyone other than those women who attended or feel closer to other women as a group for rooting them on.

It feels like it was just emotional outpouring of hurt, and I get that, but what is supposed to change from this? It won't make misogynists any less misogynist-y. It was like a pep rally for a team, which is great for that team, but nobody outside that rally cares as they have their own team, but maybe even more ambiguous than that. At least a pep rally for a team is specific in it's goal to beat the next opponent. There was no line drawn here that I saw.

I hate seeing the way some women are treated and that women have to be subjected to some of the things that they are. I don't see how this march changes any of that. Those that disrespect women aren't going to suddenly stop because some marched with disparate signs. I want little girls to grow up in a world that gets better and better for them. How does this march put that in motion?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

This is an election where lies triumphed over truth. ~ Lisa Rose

Hillary Clinton = Truth? Come on! Get real, Lisa! This is the woman who said it is appropriate to have "TWO TRUTHS".

"Hillary Clinton told top banking executives that she has “both a public and a private position” on Wall Street reform." ~ Washington Post

This is as blatant as the WTS's public position on shunning ("We don't shun.") and what they really practice. Interesting that they refer to themselves as The Truth, also.

She's one of the worse, most corrupt politicians there is. ~ Simon

DITTO! It's so obvious!

• bohm
    bohm
    Right now, the left is a pitiful wreck of whiny annoying cretins that need a slap.

I am part of the left, do you think I am a whiny annoying cretin that needs a slap?

Didn't you just write that one of the things the left does wrong is to demonize white working-class America? Isn't that exactly what you are doing here?

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

Why are they Marching?

To highlight that we have a thug with an adolescent temperment for a president.

To bring attention to the fact that under his agenda, there is a very real threat that womens' reproductive rights will revert to the stone age.

To protest the fact that soon 20 million or so will lose their health insurance. Another 20 million or so will be priced out of the market.

To protest the threat of dismantling NATO.

To protest the idea that we need to spend more money to expand our military. Already bigger than the next six national militaries combined.

As for reasons, I think that is a start and well worth marching for.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I think many things said about Hilary were greatly exaggerated or untrue, but I am not going to rehash the election, it's over. I didn't even like her, so I am not going to defend her, nobody knows better than me that she had major flaws. I saw her as the lessor of the two evils.

But all Hilaries flaws don't make Trump any prettier and he is the one in the White House.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I`ll bet the majority of all those women and men taking part in all these protests in the USA never took the time or effort to vote at the election .

Grow up and accept the umpires decision you can always vote him out at the next election.

Trump was a democratically elected President of the people and the system that has served America so well before.

Apparently the protesters are not happy with democracy

Just my 2 cents worth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit