So, the Womens March ... What Is It For?

by Simon 401 Replies latest social current

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Simon's perfectly entitled to ask the question 'what is this march for?' It doesn't mean he is now a Trump supporter or a fascist.

True. I think the fact many of us consider ourselves rational, progressive and "liberal" makes this new regression era more frustrating. We are putting groups over individuals, and we have the new cult of the left where if any of your views, question or criticisms automatically warrant you being deemed the worst thing imaginable and worthy of being ostracized.

I loved darkmatter2020 on youtube, they said something to the effect of its ok to be extreme as long as you are my brand of extreme. How is madonna saying she wants to blow up the white house or trade BJ's for votes "Progressive", how is one of the founders of the March who openly promotes shariah in America and has ties to Hamas liberal?

Image may contain: text

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

they said something to the effect of its ok to be extreme as long as you are my brand of extreme - interesting, never thought about that before ...

How is madonna saying she wants to blow up the white house - perhaps she's into demolition now?

or trade BJ's for votes "Progressive" - she's been trading on sex or sexuality for sales of her records for donkey's years. She shouldn't really be doing that now - how old is she, 60? *shivers*

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I have another question for this post, can you question the left without it being considered an endorser/apologist for the right???

Me: "I think JWS might be too lenient with pedophilia"

JW: "so you think I'm an idiot!? and you hate Jehovah!? You love satan and his system!? You want to hurt your family and God? How dare you"

Simon and I have disagreed on many things before, but I am shocked the way he is being thrown under the right wing bus here for simply questioning what I would consider to be his own peers.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I have another question for this post, can you question the left without it being considered an endorser/apologist for the right??? - that's a good question. I wish I knew the answer.

And there are some parallels to be drawn between religious cults and some members of the regressive Left: some things you cannot say or must say, etc.

Unfortunately, Trump is in power for the next 4 years at least. The Left - particularly the Dems - need to be strong, iron out any wrinkles they may have, and oppose Trump in a sensible manner (not like a bunch of spotty sixth-formers) so that Trump doesn't extend his stay in the White House.

• Simon
    Simon

The left are just as religious and irrational as the right, they just have different gods. Usually the cult of personalities.

The hypocrisy is astounding - by all means preach that violence against people, especially women, is wrong ... but don't then beat people up and punch women. Sure, tell us that women should be respected and not objectified ... but when it's someone who's careers is based on sexual objectification it comes across as two-faced.

Don't expect us to believe you genuinely care about real oppression of all women when anyone pointing to the most oppressed who are most in need of support are told to shut-up and that the movement isn't just a pile of vacuous virtual signalling.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

The left needs to regroup. Like an alcoholic admitting they have a problem, they need to admit why they lost to the orange goblin, then they need to make meaningful steps to fix it. They also need to take real, grown up action, donning vagina hats is great, hell I love vaginas! But the imagery is not as powerful as meaningful actions aimed at civil liberties and change. IMO this is one of the best presentation ever on getting shit done. You need to start with the 'Why'.

https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action

• Simon
    Simon
    Simon and I have disagreed on many things before, but I am shocked the way he is being thrown under the right wing bus here for simply questioning what I would consider to be his own peers.

It is what the left does, it's all many of them know how to do. There's no debate about issues because they don't know how and the position is often illogical and based simply on identity or something they have been told to believe by someone else they see as more virtuous.

Disagree with something? Here's a label, now I don't have to engage with you.

Still speaking? We'll all chant and shout you down.

Going to talk at an event? We'll get it cancelled so no-one else can hear your opinion.

The people on the right seem willing to go on left-leaning talk-shows and interviews to make their case even though the setup is often unfair. The left rarely venture onto a forum that isn't simply an echo chamber of people ready to applaud them.

You don't have to agree to have interesting discussions and learn things from the other side. But refusing to have any proper discussion is not doing anything to further the ideas from the left that should be heard and promoted.

• just fine
    just fine

The refusal to engage in meaningful dialogue also further alienates people who voted Trump for lack of a better candidate. If there is any hope of changing the tide at the next election, that meaningful dialogue has to take place. Calling people Nazis or racists doesn't start the conversation. And parading around dressed as female genitalia is a ridiculous shock value ploy.

• Giordano
    Giordano

The women's march......what is it for?

Last week, the protest organizers released a platform of their principles, developed by a group of contributors that include Alicia Garza, one of the founders of the Black Lives Matter movement; the author and transgender rights advocate Janet Mock; and Terry O’Neill, the president of the National Organization for Women.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/20/opinion/what-the-womens-march-stands-for.html?_r=0

Apparently the March had 3 to 4 million people attending on 7 continents and 50 states in the US.

Folks only have to look back at the Tea Party to understand how a mass movement can start up when there's a perceived need and that it can go on to change the electoral landscape for better or worse.

The women's march will continue as an action and voting group.

And may I add Just Fine: "And parading around dressed as female genitalia is a ridiculous shock value ploy." As ridiculous as a "pussy grabbing Donald Trump?"

The women in this March were reacting to the disgusting Donald's references to women.

• just fine
    just fine

The vile things being spouted by some of the speakers at the March were just as shocking as what Trump said.

I don't condone what Trump said, but I also don't think protesting vulgarity by being vulgar is the way to bring attention to a cause.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit