Who really is the Faithful and Discreet Slave?

by Godlyman 349 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BruceX
    BruceX

scholar:

In order to fulfill Jeremiah's prophecy and later confirmed by Ezra, the land had to be vacated by the seventh month in 607 BCE which began the 70 years of Exile- Servitude and Desolation.
    I agree that the trip from Jerusalem to Babylon was more likely to be 4 months. Since we are talking about desolation of Judah, we can easily assume that the trip back and forth between Judah and Babylon was at least 6 months, Do you agree with this?
  • Jeffro
    Jeffro

‘scholar’:

I knew that so if that is the case then everything to do with Bible Chronology or Bible History can be discarded simply on the basis that you can pick and choose what facts or other information to accept or recognize .

To do so would be a fallacy of composition, and I have no need for resorting to such tactics. Unlike you, I consider all the relevant texts, their context, and what they actually say. You (parroting the Watch Tower Society), on the other hand, ignore inconvenient verses, read into texts what is not there, and completely distort the order of events.

The facts surrounding the composition of the book of Daniel are very well known, and the JW (Adventist) tradition is simply wrong.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

‘scholar’:

As one actor said: "Stop being a girlie man".

I see you’re using Watchtower style to clearly cite your sources. 😂

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

‘scholar’:

'at Bbabylon' has a locative meaning in the sense of place or location and is similar to 'in Babylon'. However, most translations render the phrase as; 'for Babylon' which has a purposive meaning rather than a locative meaning. In either case, it shows that the Jews were exiled in Babylon and under Babylon's domination for the full period of 70 years.

Ok Furuli… um… I mean… ‘scholar’ 😂

That excuse is of course wrong. It’s dative and if it were locative, the exiles aren’t specified as the subject of the sentence anyway.

• scholar
    scholar

Jefffro

The one with the pretty charts.

This goes back to one of the questions already asked in this thread that ‘scholar’ won’t (can’t) answer. If 70 years ended when the Jews arrived in Jerusalem, in what way was attention subsequently given to their return?

---

I will and can answer this question. I suspect that this is the direction that Bruce X is going so will leave it to him.

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Bruce X

I agree that the trip from Jerusalem to Babylon was more likely to be 4 months. Since we are talking about desolation of Judah, we can easily assume that the trip back and forth between Judah and Babylon was at least 6 months, Do you agree with this?

---

Frankly, I don't know because the time of the journey and its route is discussed in the Bible. so 6 months or 4 months are both possible. However, supporters of 538 BCE for the Return such as Jeffro, vale Alan F- May he rest in peace, Jonsson and others must have envisaged a 'Babylonian Highway (B1) from Babylon to Jerusalem complete with a mass transportation system such as rail, road or plane to make the return in such an impossible timeframe.

scholar JW

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    can easily assume that the trip back and forth between Judah and Babylon was at least 6 months, Do you agree with this?

Who knows what exactly happened. It is all a guess. But given the 70 years, a couple of years more or less is in the target area and within the realm of possibility making wt interpretation plausible. Won’t know for sure until it hits you from above. Everything considered, wt interpretation based on 70 years ( FDS appointed circa 1919) has not been been debunked, ( if one is looking for relevancy of this subtopic ). We know that the FDS is not Judaism or Islam or other religions, it needs to be Christianity and since the churches of christendom failed to stop JW as hard as they tried, that eliminates christendom. 7x, 1914,1919, appointment of fds depends on 70 so that proves relevance.

• BruceX
    BruceX
    Frankly, I don't know because the time of the journey and its route is discussed in the Bible. so 6 months or 4 months are both possible. However, supporters of 538 BCE for the Return such as Jeffro, vale Alan F- May he rest in peace, Jonsson and others must have envisaged a 'Babylonian Highway (B1) from Babylon to Jerusalem complete with a mass transportation system such as rail, road or plane to make the return in such an impossible timeframe.
    We know that the return trip took 4 months. So both trips must have taken more than 4 months, therefore 4 months is not possible for the round trip as you suggested as a possibility. I tried to be very conservative and suggested 6 months round trip but it's very likely it took longer than 6 months.
  • scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

To do so would be a fallacy of composition, and I have no need for resorting to such tactics. Unlike you, I consider all the relevant texts, their context, and what they actually say. You (parroting the Watch Tower Society), on the other hand, ignore inconvenient verses, read into texts what is not there, and completely distort the order of events.

The facts surrounding the composition of the book of Daniel are very well known, and the JW (Adventist) tradition is simply wrong.

---

The issue is not the date of the composition of Daniel as to whether it was in the 2nd or 6th century BC but whether Neb had the tree dream and experienced 7 years of banishment as recorded in Dan.4.

Unlike you, I do extensive research in leading academic journals and Bible commentaries and compare such material with our WT publications.

If you accept the fact of the 70 years described in Zechariah 1 by means of several visions then why would you not accept the historicity of Dan. 4 or is it the case you 'pick and choose' and you call this scholarship?

scholar JW

• BruceX
    BruceX

Who knows what exactly happened. It is all a guess. But given the 70 years, a couple of years more or less is in the target area and within the realm of possibility making wt interpretation plausible. Won’t know for sure until it hits you from above. Everything considered, wt interpretation based on 70 years ( FDS appointed circa 1919) has not been been debunked, ( if one is looking for relevancy of this subtopic ). We know that the FDS is not Judaism or Islam or other religions, it needs to be Christianity and since the churches of christendom failed to stop JW as hard as they tried, that eliminates christendom. 7x, 1914,1919, appointment of fds depends on 70 so that proves relevance.

I'm trying to find common ground with "scholar" on a lower bound for the round trip. Upper bound, who knows...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit