Who really is the Faithful and Discreet Slave?

by Godlyman 349 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Zechariah is clearly not just concerned about Babylon

Immaterial deflection. The subject matter here is 70 years in Babylon which Zechariah confirms.

537+70= 607 —If you forgot the subject.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I never know if I'm being put on or if the person on the other side of the screen really believes what they are posting. But either way whenever reading the texts to learn becomes dismissed as "immaterial" I know it is time to leave.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

reading the texts to learn becomes dismissed as "immaterial"

A tangent subject is not relevant

• waton
    waton

If being the F&DS depends on splitting hair (or swallowing camels) on what happened 3000 years ago, you-all are off on a tangent, lost is A.E's spacetime.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Fisherman:

Immaterial deflection.

Your skills at identifying what is and is not relevant and also of fallacies are remarkably deficient.

The subject matter here is 70 years in Babylon

Actually, the subject matter is the 'faithful and discreet slave', though the JW drivel about 607 is foundational to their interpretations about that subject.

which Zechariah confirms.

Wrong. Zechariah doesn't refer to 70 years of exile at all, nor to Babylon's 70 years. Zechariah (7:1-7) refers to annual fasts in the 5th and 7th months, which by the 9th month of Darius' 4th year (518 BCE) had been held for 70 years. This places the first year of those fasts in 587 BCE when Jerusalem was destroyed.

537+70= 607 —If you forgot the subject.

The Jews arrived in Jerusalem in 538 BCE rather than 537 so you're wrong there anyway, but that was only after Babylon was called to account in 539 BCE when the 70 years actually ended (Jeremiah 25:12). 539+70=609, which is the year that Babylon destroyed Assyria's final capital at Harran (compare Ezekiel 27:2, 23; Isaiah 23:13-15).

You can go now too.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Peacefulpete I did not mean that your commentary is not important , I only meant that focusing on other aspects of the scriptures did not apply to the subject of the Jews being in Babylon 70 years because it deflects attention from that specific point.

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Wrong. Zechariah doesn't refer to 70 years of exile at all, nor to Babylon's 70 years. Zechariah (7:1-7) refers to annual fasts in the 5th and 7th months, which by the 9th month of Darius' 4th year (518 BCE) had been held for 70 years. This places the first year of those fasts in 587 BCE when Jerusalem was destroyed.

---

Wrong. Zechariah made two references to Jeremiah's 70 years- the period of Exile. The first reference is Zech 1:12 by means of an oracle on the 24th day,11th month in King Darius 2nd year- 519 BCE. The second reference is in Zech 7:5 by means of an oracle on the 4th day, of the 9th month in King Darius' 4th year-518 BCE.

These two references point back to the now completed or fulfilled Exilic period of 70 years wherein the Jews were engaped in improper fasting now being chastised by the prophet's oracle. Thus, Zechariah's two references to the 'seventy years' proves that the 70 years began in 607 BCE and ended in 537 BCE

---

The Jews arrived in Jerusalem in 538 BCE rather than 537 so you're wrong there anyway, but that was only after Babylon was called to account in 539 BCE when the 70 years actually ended (Jeremiah 25:12). 539+70=609, which is the year that Babylon destroyed Assyria's final capital at Harran (compare Ezekiel 27:2, 23; Isaiah 23:13-15).

---

False. The Jewish Exiles returened home in 537 BCE and not 538 BCE as this latter year is impossible as the time frame is too short to accommodate the many events that began in the first year of Cyrus. which marked the end of the 70 years fulfilling Jeremiah's prophecy at Jer 25:12.Your date 609 BCE for the beginning of the 70 years rather than 607 BCE is too fuzzy and is historically unreliable. Even Carl Jonsson considered 605 BCE rather than 609 BCE as equally possible so you have a big problem here.

You can go now with scholar's permission.

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

My statements are backed by facts and agreement from the entire body of experts in all relevant fields. You continue to spout drivel. The fact that you think you’re still right says everything it needs to. 😂

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

My statements are backed by facts and agreement from the entire body of experts in all relevant fields. You continue to spout drivel. The fact that you think you’re still right says everything it needs to.

--

Your past history of posts on the subject of Chronology proves that you do not read widely nor do you consult with others merely reflecting or copying the false views of other naughty poztates.

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

😂 wrong again doofus, I have fully researched the entire subject entirely independently. I don’t need to ‘read widely’ to be right (and you ignore what they say anyway).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit