"Congratulations" - WHY?

by Prisca 86 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic
    No idea, Ballistic. My question was why we say it, I wasn't proposing it shouldn't be said, or that something else should be said in its place.

My question is still relevant because the answer to your question could potentially be "for lack of something else to say".

• freedom96
    freedom96

Having a baby is very special and exciting for both the mom and dad. Simple as that. Of course congrats are in order.

• Debz
    Debz

Because its a NICE thing to do!!!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

You know, this reminds me of the song by Paul Anka: You're Having My Baby. This song is controversial and hated by many people, mostly women. I guess it's because the song sounds so totally about Mr. Anka and his seed.

PAUL ANKA LYRICS
    (YOU'RE) HAVING MY BABY LYRICS

Having my baby what a lovely way of saying How much you love me. Having my baby what a lovely way of saying What you're thinking of me. I can see it your face is glowing I can see it in your eyes. I'm happy knowin' that you're having my baby. You're the woman I love and I love what it's doin' to you. Having my baby you're a woman in love and I love What's goin' through you. The need inside you I see it showin' Oh the seed inside you baby do you feel it growin' Are you happy in knowin' that you're having my baby? I'm a woman in love and I love What it's doin' to me. Having my baby. I'm a woman in love and I love What's goin' through me. Didn't have to keep it wouldn't put you through it. You could have swept it from your life But you wouldn't do it no you wouldn't do it. And you're having my baby. I'm a woman in love and I love 
    fade.....

Of course a good man is going to be thrilled about becoming a father and you are congratulating him on his happiness about becoming a father or that he and his (hopefully) beloved lady are going to have a child to love, cherish and raise. No, he isn't growing the child or doing the labor gig; but he is going to love the child and cherish being a father and coparent.

Heather

• greven
    greven
    All he's done is have an orgasm and spurt some semen into her? So what's so special about that?

You don't do it justice! There is so much more to it!

There's preparation, concentration, aim, trajectory, amount, structure, force, color etc etc

Hell it's a work of art!

Greven

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

A work of art, hehehe.

Actually, Pris, it is a quetion I have asked myself several times as well. Not just to about congarts to the daddy-to-be, but also to the mommy-to-be. I mean, all they did was fuck have sex and get pregnant, anyone can do that (except for those having trouble conceiving, and my apologies if insulting to anyone).

Thing is, I think we congratulate the people, cuz we are actually happy for them. Hell, I won't congratulate my friend who got pregnant and didn't want it...I'd be bringing her chocolote and hugs and offer support. But for the people who want to have kids screaming you outta bed, well, I am happy for them both, and that's why we offer our congrats to them.

Just like a happy birthday congrats, all ya did was not die for another year.... but I am actually happy that person is still around, and so I congratulate him/her

-

Blue Bubblegum Girl

• shera
    shera

I think a congrats is in order for both.

Some people cannot have babies,female or male...There can be miscarriages,still births.Yrs of trying.For most it is something easy to come buy,but there is many people struggling to concieve.Its a life,growing inside.A beautiful baby,innocent.Regardless of who does all the work,parenthood is something to be congratulated.

• ballistic
    ballistic

OK - let's try and turn the question into a meaningful one;

How does a Jehovah's Witness who congratulates a mother or father on the birth of their baby stand in view of what the bible says about birthdays? The baby itself is given presents at the time of the birth, the mother and father given cards, gifts and congratualations. Surely true christains would have to examine their concience as to whether they could participate in such celebrations and what is in fact, a "birthday" as condemed in God's word. (Mark 6:14-29)

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Your thesis that a male is only spurting some semen into a woman is basically correct.
    The woman is basically only receiving the seamen (and both are having a lot of pleasure most of the time)
    Basically the new life form is kind of a parasite: it's living in and taking from the mother everything it is needed to grow.
    In that light, mother nor father should get congratulations.

Going to the base, for most man or woman, something they do for joy / fun is resulting in having a baby.
    In the past you didn't choose for children, you just got them as a result.
    Today you make a choice for having children - or you make sure you won't get them. Most of the time children are very, very much wanted and loved.

In the 9 months that a woman is expecting a baby, her body is changing due to hormones and so on.

About 2 months ago I did read in a newspaper (De Telegraaf) that research has proven hormonal changes in new fathers as well....
    So much for the impact that a new baby is making...

And yes, I think both parents are to be congratulated with a new baby - but only when they want that baby - not because of the carrying and nurturing but because a child is most of the time a source of happiness.

• Guest 77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit