"Congratulations" - WHY?

by Prisca 86 Replies latest jw friends

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

I'm more inclined to offer commiserations.

Expatbrit

• shamus
    shamus

It means CONGRATULATIONS in that you are moving into another stage in your life... and it reminds one of what a wonderful experience it will be, and they are excited for you.

It's just comes naturally when you love kids, in my opinion.

• gumby
    gumby
    It's just comes naturally when you love kids, in my opinion.

Aaaah Shamus,.....your just a big mushy, softy, marshmellow, bastard!

Gumbastard

• shamus
    shamus

Gumby,

Kiss my ass you green horny freak.

Christian love,

Shamus.

• gumby
    gumby

Shamus, my sick bastard friend from hell,

You and I have picked imaginary characters to represent our sick sombitchin lives, and don't desrve to speak on this deep serious arse thread. Shame on you bastard! Shame on you! And leave prisca alone....she's sensative.....

Gumby

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    what has he done to merit the congratulations

I didn't know I had to earn congratulations. Dummy me, I just accepted my friends' happiness at our impending family at face value. They were happy because Nina and I were happy. No competition, no separateness. We always looked at each pregnancy, and spoke about it to others as if we were one.

I had the rare and good fortune with our first pregnancy, of actually having a job during delivery. Nina broke her foot in the ninth month and gave birth with a purple cast on her foot. My job was to hold the cast during delivery so that it did not hit the doctor. So I stood next to the doctor and literally had a front row seat. It was the most amazing experience in my life. I get goosebumps everytime I think about it. I saw the top of Jennie's head, and then it got bigger and bigger until her entire head just popped out, then the rest of her body just slipped out. Her entire body was blue. I was amazed at the entire process. Nina had made a cassette tape of her favorite music to help her during delivery. Jennie was born to "Powerful Stuff" by The Thunderbirds. Appropriate if you've ever met Jennie.

I think it is a mistake to assign spheres of influence over something as amazing as childbirth. It is one of my most treasured memories that Nina and I shared the experience together. If she had taken the attitude that she was doing all the work, while minimizing my contribution, it would have created a separation, and diminished an experience that binds the two of us together.

But what do I know? After all, I'm just a man.

Chris

• shamus
    shamus

Look, Gumby, you green freak from hell,

I don't care what you think anymore, you green whore! I hate you. I loooathe you! I despise you.... you sick and twisted freak! How dare YOU hijack prisca's thread and call me sensitive, you insensitive bastard.

Isn't it true, though, how we are mythical characters? Hmmm.... we could be just some freaks living in a van down by the river, ya know? This internet thing... hmmm...

Anyhow, you wanna come down to the river on Saturday and play cards with me as per usual? I caught a nasty looking sucker and I can fry it up for us... I also hijacked a truck load of shasta soda... we can drink it with lysol... gives you a good buzzzzzzzzz.....

• searcher
    searcher

Everytime I have heard ' Congratulations ' to anyone in conjuction with the news of a pegnancy, the actual words used have been "Congratulations to the two(or both) of you"

Sometimes this has been sincere, sometimes just a ' social pleasentry'

I dont see how the words used are such a big deal, most times when speaking, people make the assumtion that others will ' fill in the blanks', and just use the word 'congratulations'

I guess this world is not ready for brevity.

• outnfree
    outnfree
    So if it's because "he's gonna be a caring father" - shouldn't the congratulations and back-slapping occur after a period of time, once that a father has proved himself worthy of carrying that title?

Prisca,

I'm trying really hard here not to call you a dim bulb. (OH, I just did! Sorry!). I would submit that even though the mother "incubated" the child for nine months, she has not necessarily done anything particularly meritorius yet, either! She just provided the egg to be fertilized and without the sperm donor there would be no child. It's not the guy's fault that she's the one with the uterus! Why would you think she's a "mother" any sooner than he's a "father"? All she did was let nature take its course!

Speaking of which, no woman who has given birth develops maternal instincts automatically. One learns to parent. And that means both mother and father are on an immediate learning curve when the little one enters the world.

So congratulations to both are in order, as shamus said, because the parents are embarking on new roles in life, and their friends, family and acquaintances are showing happiness at their joy in the transformation about to take place.

out

• minimus
    minimus

Webster-----Congratulate------"to wish joy, to express pleasure on account of success or good fortune.".....Pretty simple, Pris......To congratulate the parents for atheir child being born simply means, wishing them joy and pleasure on account of their good fortune......Especially if the child is beautiful and healthy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit