"Congratulations" - WHY?

by Prisca 86 Replies latest jw friends

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Ok gonna read the answers (4 pages !) after answering myself

Right ! ... your question made me laugh ...

Somehow myself I do think that (every time I say it) ... but somehow I know that even if he just did a little part of the job "the GIFT" is still half his ones ... And when I'm saying congrats to a MAN in this circomstances ... it is precisely to make him feel more involved (at this special moment) and happy ... for what he is or will be : A FATHER ... In hopping that at least when the GIFT will be out of mommy ... He'll take care as well as she will.

But still ... the first step is quiet easy for you guys !

• SpinDoctor
    SpinDoctor

Congratulating someone on the birth of a child is done because it is a social custom. This makes sense since it usually leads to a happy event, the blessing of another child in several peoples' lives.

It is normal to congratulate people when good things happen, irregardless of whether or not anyone has done something to earn that happiness. When someone wins $1million in the lottery, they are congratulated. Yet they have done nothing more than what millions of others have done; buy a ticket.

We celebrate birthdays; yet every person born will be born some day in the year....they have no choice, as their mother pushes them out of the womb.

Who has done anything to deserve a gift at Christmas? Yet gifts are exchanged.

Why do we congratulate or celebrate these things? Because it makes us feel good.

I would like to remind the poster who attacked Prisca of the following policies:

To ensure all users feel safe and keen to participate, please avoid:

Insulting, threatening or provoking language

Posting an off-topic comment.

Forums may be moderated to make sure they stay friendly and welcoming, legal and relevant...

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well, put it this way...

You would congratulate me if I had a baby!!!

• shamus
    shamus

4 PAGES... 4 PAGES!!!!!

Omg!

• Prisca
    Prisca

LOL @ Shamus..

Just goes to show that if you post "idiotic topics" during "that time of the month" (even though I'm mid-cycle) inspired by people that you're supposed to be fighting with, you too can have threads running for many pages!

• shamus
    shamus

It just blows my mind, Prisca, how some ppl can post a topic like this and 4 pages, WHAM! Then another topic about something important just flies past everyone... too funny.

How about a 6 page thread about "My Lesbian Avatar.." Hilarious! Who the hell can read through all that and still pretend to have a life? I only post so much b/c my work is basically sitting around waiting for nothing to happen. My god, I could never read all that even if I was at work!

• Prisca
    Prisca

Shamus,

The key is to get a subject that gets ppl to think.

The Lesbian Kiss thread got heaps of replies (let alone reads) because it is a controversial subject. People who claim to be liberally-minded still have hesitancy when it comes to topics such as homosexuality. Hence ppl posted their views, and even encouragement for those who dared to be different from the norm.

I posted my topic because it was something I had begun to think about. Why do we have certain sayings in our social custom? Sometimes I think we do/say things because it's the done thing, without much thought to why or how. As JWs we did what we were told to do, with little thought to why we accepted such commands. We did them because it was what was expected of us. But if we'd really thought about many things more deeply (such as the shunning doctrine) maybe we'd left the JWs sooner?

Just my 2c.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Prisca, my question to you would be, What do you propose we should say to fathers instead of congratulations?

• smack
    smack

I'm mid cycle too

Steve

Tasmanian Overbeer

• Prisca
    Prisca

Prisca, my question to you would be, What do you propose we should say to fathers instead of congratulations?
    No idea, Ballistic. My question was why we say it, I wasn't proposing it shouldn't be said, or that something else should be said in its place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit