The locking of threads.

by seven006 124 Replies latest jw friends

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I'm glad I read all the posts before responding.

Xena, I was about to post an almost identical post. Stat's showing locks and deletions, re the past 1, 14, days, 1 month etc.

How about Top "locked" and " deleted" threads by poster?

Even more interesting Top "locked" and "deleted" threads by moderator.

• waiting
    waiting

lol xena,

actually, I was chatting with a longtime friend of mine - who finally informed that he/she was a moderator here. I didn't have a clue (which isn't unusual, btw). And they had been moderating here FOR A DAMNED LONG TIME. Well, so much for confidants, eh?

They said it was a bitch of a job - no pun intended. Somebody's always pissed at them for making a decision. If it's not a poster - it's another moderator. In other words - damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Do they get paid? No. Do they get glory? No. Do they get power? lol - power over WHAT? Power to have people come down on them? Yep. I suppose if someone had low self-esteem, or a god complex....yeah, they might get off on being a moderator. But sooner or later, that quality would come through. I really haven't seen that. And moderators moderate each other's actions too.

When thought about, we've posted back & forth with most moderators for long months, if not years before they were moderators. Most of us thought they were reasonable (if not a little dull-witted to not have caught our stunning wit), even quite intelligent and balanced.

Ang? I was thinking along your lines - a raging thread will usually spawn (sf's nifty word) a couple of more threads....which usually turn to raging too.

We've discussed this before........a period of peace..........a period of semi-war.........a period of peace.......just like any other nation, eh?

Take care - this is still a great place.

waiting

• ozziepost
  • Angharad
    Angharad
    We've discussed this before........a period of peace..........a period of semi-war.........a period of peace.......just like any other nation, eh

LOL I thnk it has something to do with the moon

• Man Dingo
    Man Dingo

Stacy Smith Said:

"So he deleted a user that sent a couple of PM's that were pretty low class. As far as I'm concerned I don't care if he was deleted or not (I don't need to be protected) but Simon did what he felt was right. I'm certain that the PM's weren't the only reason for the deletion but.........."

Low class, eh? Kinda like asking someone if they like little boys Stacy?

What Stacy Smith Said:

Thread it was said in.

"Trauma the ACLU supports child molestors such as NAMBLA. So any support of them supports child molestors. Little boys interest you?"

So harrasing a user in PM, and making up lies about them is ok, but when they tell you to go fly a kite (not terms used, but being nice), that's not ok? You contacted Trauma first, not the other way around, he never contacted you first.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Man Dingo-

Well if someone asked me if I "liked little boys", I'd go a tad bit further than telling them to go fly a kite. I see no question more insulting that asking if someone is a child molester. I agree, THAT was low class.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Gee Trauma Hound, err...Man Dingo, that is a great cover you came up with....

• Amazing
    Amazing

Well said Dave. I think because the majority here are sensible, that is why we see comparatively little locking and deletion. And I have seen a few of my own threads locked. Its frustrating, because I feel I need one more post, to get in the last word. Once I cool my jets, it all seems silly. Thanks again for the good points. - Jim W.

• Simon
    Simon

The topic has been removed. If someone posts something like that then the correct action is to PM or email a moderator.

Sending abusive / threatening / insulting messages is just going to put 'you' in the wrong.

Sorry it was overlooked but it could have been handled quickly and simply if people were being adults.

• teejay
    teejay

>>>>> They said it was a bitch of a job - no pun intended. Somebody's always pissed at them for making a decision. If it's not a poster - it's another moderator. In other words - damned if they do, damned if they don't. -– Waiting

I respectfully disagree, oh (I said “oh,” not Old) Supreme One. I’ve had hard, thankless jobs, and I promise you they make moderating a discussion board look like the walk in the park that it is.

Moderating, if done properly and with just a bit more care and consideration, can easily be done far more evenly, resulting in far fewer hurt feelings, than what is so often the case here. On the part of a moderator, it doesn’t take the wit and wisdom of a brain surgeon to demonstrate a little self-restraint, realizing that the mod’s standards of right and wrong / proper and improper don’t apply universally. In some cases, a mod’s standards apply to them and them only and they should accept that. If they don’t, they are unsuitable as mods, IMO.

What I’d like to see more of from mods when they feel a post violates the board’s guidelines is to first see if the “offender” is willing to amend their own offending post. The mod can ask for this on the board publicly or privately via pm or email. I hate to say it, but scriptural principles of discussing it with them first is a good way to go. If agreements can’t be reached, then other mods or even Simon can be brought in.

To some this may seem like a lot of work, but I’d disagree to that argument for at least two reasons. For one, with the exception of obviously out of bounds posts where improper language is gratuitously used and in need of immediate attention, there are so few posts that meet any need for inspection / attention that the time spent correcting / amending the one or two that do require it would be minimal. Secondly, if a mod thinks that the time spent in carrying out their duties as a moderator (including assuaging any resulting hurt feelings) is time wasted, then IMO they don’t fit the description of the kind of person who should have the position in the first place and should immediately... uh... step down.

It’s demonstrably clear that, considering yesterday’s repeat of past episodes, the system of moderation now in place could stand a little tweaking. When we log on here, most everyone would like to experience a calm and quiet, corner café atmosphere. If it is to be a vibrant and socially relevant place to meet and exchange diverse ideas, however, there is an equal and compelling need for the place to welcome and even encourage genuinely free expression, even if those expressions don’t meet a particular mod’s narrow standard of “good” and “bad.”

And when agreement over an “offending” post cannot be reached to everyone's satisfaction and the mod must do their thing, a simple “I’m sorry” on the part of a moderator, instead of a “take it or leave it” or a “shut up about it" attitude, will go a long way toward making this place the kind of place we all, not only want to be, but want to stay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit