The locking of threads.

by seven006 124 Replies latest jw friends

• waiting
    waiting

Hey tj,

I understand your opinions, tj. I don't think your guidelines could be carried out as effectively and effortlessly as you write, however. It just doesn't work that way generally. Even in real life. The situation's accentuated here because it's written word only, open to interpretation by reader (including moderator) - and by the time the poster might (or not) respond, half dozen or more people have already gotten into the discussion many times. So the situation has already been made.

And the moderator I spoke with did say it was a bitch of a job - which, btw, doesn't necessarily mean it's a hard job or incredibly time consuming. Just a bitch. We only see the end result in public. Sometimes the moderators aren't in agreement (they told me) - just like this forum. I think that's a good safety in that one moderator doesn't have the ability to ride total roughshod over the whole group (if I understood that moderator correctly.)

So there's room for moderators to disagree.........and then the posters to disagree with the moderators. Thus, damned if they do (by the posters who want them to DO something) and damned if they don't (don't do ANYTHING group).

I posted once before on moderators - and still stand by that opinion. I don't have anything against moderators per se, and I don't think everything can be classified neatly, nor a heated discussion waiting patiently for how many hours before something is done.

I think somewhere waaaaaaaaaaaay back Rev. Malik (on Ravyn thread) had a good idea on how to handle some threads which a moderator wants to remove. I still think it was a good idea.

I don't see a reason why a moderator ought to have to apologize for removing a thread if necessary - that implies they've done something wrong. Wouldn't that be like demanding an apology from the poster who put the thread up (or all persons who posted) - and I'd be willing to bet that THEY wouldn't be ready to apologize either.

But I agree with you - a more civil way - ON BOTH SIDES - of approaching this matter seems to be needed. H20 never acheived this, I doubt if we can either. Btw, on another forum (not xjw), it's tightly moderated..........not only will they delete posts, they'll delete the poster without notification. Sucks sometimes.

I marvel at the overall shine of this forum. Some of us are real jerks. And that includes me sometimes too.

Take care.

waiting

• Panda
    Panda

If someone doesn't agree with me I figure they have no idea what they're talking about. So someday I hope to be a moderator j/k

If someone disagrees with me I want to know. Maybe it's a female thing but I must have an answer Then as the facts are presented I will better judge consider the poser and the posed.

IMO this is a good place w/ thinking people who don't always agree... but we have this incredible understanding of what it's like to be controlled and then figure it out and then wonder how it all happened. It's like we're the survivors and everyone else died --- we want answers to our continued saddness. And it's like some terrific therapy to have our opinions deemed worthy of debate.

Panda of the I you all class

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

I've never had a thread locked (sigh).

• onacruse
    onacruse

waiting, as usual your perspective is so very balanced.

Sometimes the moderators aren't in agreement (they told me) - just like this forum. I think that's a good safety in that one moderator doesn't have the ability to ride total roughshod over the whole group (if I understood that moderator correctly.)

Oh so right! I'd be dead as a door-nail if it wasn't for all the insights and re-adjustments I've gotten (and continue to get) from those who are so much more experienced than me (some are mods here, most aren't).

Btw, on another forum (not xjw), it's tightly moderated..........not only will they delete posts, they'll delete the poster without notification.

I know of one by-invite-only board...you get one warning, and that's when you join. Cross over the line once, for any reason, and you're permanently gone, period, nqa. By comparison JWD is almost a free-for-all

Panda:

we have this incredible understanding of what it's like to be controlled

Yes! And fwiw I see JWD as a sortof "transition zone" from the high-control group JW mentality toward a self-determined first-time-in-my-life personal mentality. I'd have gone crazy if I'd tried to make that leap all at once! So, as Bob was told to do, I'm taking "baby-steps" And each of us is at their own stage in that journey, eh? Those who are so much farther down that road than I am can shrug off some things that drive me bonkers...and I, after just a short year, see that I too am gradually developing a self-confidence. I can't adequately express my gratitude that JWD provides an environment that's helped me get to where I am today.

Craig

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Hey, teej, were those hard, thankless, paying jobs?

• seven006
    seven006

TeeJay,

You may think HS and myself are afraid to comment back to you on this thread. You sure do think you're something don't you? What an ego. I don't know about HS but I learned a long time ago not to try and carry on a conversation with a brick wall. That is not being scared, that is being smart. Something some people can't grasp the meaning of. I'm going to start doing the cute little bold letter under your breath kind of thing you do. Then you can try and figure out if I am messing with you or just giving myself a way out by saying "I never implied that"! Looks like you learned the JW hidden meaning trick the boys from Brooklyn use. It's a great way of covering your butt.

See ya around the board, I'll be keeping an eye on you and asking what you mean by little things you say that can be taken either way. Id hate to misread all your innocent comments.

Take care,

Dave

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Will you guys get married already? :)

• seven006
    seven006

PS,

It is a little silly isn't it? I hate to stoop to his level but someone has to wake the guy up. Id just love it if he stuck to the good stuff he writes about. I don't go into those threads and make comments with bold type innuendoes. Believe it or not, there is a little bit I like about the guy. I think he's got potential once he gets is head out of his back pocket.

Dave

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

My efforts to "wake up" those that I decided needed to wake up have never worked out... because they don't really need to... someday he will feel like an ass for some of the things he said here, and so will I, and so on...

Peace,

PS

• teejay
    teejay

Any interest in trying to answer one or two of the questions I asked on page 1 of this thread, Dave, or are you mainly interested in keeping up your little kiddie, off-topic rant?

Either way, I understand.

:D

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit