The locking of threads.

by seven006 124 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

I don't know I find teejay to be a reasonable kind of guy..lol that he is tenacious is a given....but I have seen him do a complete turn around on his opinion of one poster after they worked out some differences...and I have been him change his opinion when he is presented with a reasonable argument...he is also an extremely good friend so perhaps I am biased (we rabid dog pack members do like to stick together) regarding him so I guess let the reader use discernment.

Regarding the subject of locked threads...Simon locked one of mine once...remember that Simon lol I know I do ...I emailed him to find out why and got a very polite reasonable message back. Of course had I not gotten that message I may have gotten just a bit pissy. I know this is just a discussion board, but I think that many of us put a lot of thought and feeling into these posts..they mean something to us...and to have them deleted or locked well sometimes that hurts you know?

I have felt too that the board is changing...narrowing more and more...and in a way that saddens me...this board is about much more than helping people leave the dubs, it's about healing and learning and relating and just trying to be normal (or as normal as we can be)....I just hope in the moderation process we don't lose the spark that makes JWD so special.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

TJ,

My, my. You do have a propensity for time and time again leading the way with ad hominem attacks, don't you.

Do you know what an ad hominem attack actually is? An ad hominem attack presupposes that I was passing comment on your person to divert attention from an argument or claim that we were involved in. Please re-read my post, I was not passing comment on an argument as we were not involved in discussing anything BUT your personality, in fact two personalities. If you wish to show the Board why you accused me of such an attack based on my post, I will give it consideration. Perhaps this occasion may be your second apology to the Board.

My advice, given in good faith as it has been all the other times we have conversed, is to read a persons post more carefully before you type a redress and develop some critical thinking skills which will prevent you making statements such as the one I have quoted in this post. It will also save many precious hours of posters time spent trying to get you to see the point of the arguments that you concoct.

Best regards - HS

• gumby
    gumby

Be patient. His using the internet to look up all the refrences he can find on the subject to prove him right. I'm sure there's someone who believes his description was correct.

Gumby

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

"Pissing contest" for the intellectual males. Thanks for the show, please continue. I remember stuff like this on the playground. LOL!

Okay. . StinkyPantz is shutting up now. . .

• gumby
    gumby
    I remember stuff like this on the playground. LOL!

Okay. . StinkyPantz is shutting up now. . .

Pissing matches of little boys, was usually due to cute little girls, ..........so you can stay Stinker!

• onacruse
    onacruse

Dave, first of all I'd like to publicly thank you for the continuing good advice you give me. I've certainly bent your ear this last month, haven't I?

joanna:

if when people were face to face could work out in few minutes, but the nature of cyberspace means it takes days to simmer emotions, develop the full story, and not misconstrue what was said

Yes indeed! Your observation reflects the opinion of a great many (I daresay even the majority) of folks that post here. In the last few months it's been my distinct and exhilarating experience to talk with and/or meet well over 100 folks here, and I can honestly say each of them is now a friend, too .

SP, I certainly count you as one the many new friends I now have. As friends, I know you and I will continue to discuss the concerns you've expressed in this thread.

Phantom Stranger, it was good talking to you last night! What a small world it is.

teejay, what can I say? I agree with Dave and HS...you can be, and at times, have been, a remarkably eloquent, and even supportive, poster. I wish that you will someday come to respect the value JWD offers to so many hundreds, even thousands, of people exiting the WTS. I'll not respond to any of your remonstrations until I'm personally convinced of your sincerity. You have my phone #; you can call me, or I'll call you.

avishai, thank you for being so understanding about an edited post. We cover each other's backs, eh?You're a good man, with a big heart. Hope to meet you soon, up north here.

RedhorseWoman! Your reputation precedes you Good to have you back! Caring folks like you who've been on db's so much longer than newbies like me...your perspectives are always welcome.

WildHorses, waiting, and myself...eheh, same for you as for RW...the sane voices of reason that have helped me (and put up with me) so much over this last year

Gumby-dude, it was great to talk with you last week!

Uzzah, your post is excellent! I've often reflected on the advice you've given me. Straight-forward, the voice of experience. Thank you.

This is not my thread, but I've chosen to respond to each poster, as best I can, because I know the moderation of this board is intended to be, as much as possible, a reflection of the needs and desires of the majority (and, in every way possible, the minority) of those who post here, and to provide a safe environment. All the other mods, Simon and Ang, and the vast number of all posters here, have proven to me, and I daresay to most all, beyond question of doubt, their own heartfelt desire for the same.

Sincerely,

Craig

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I have helped lock a thread myself I am aware. Or gotten it deleted because it was too graphic sexually.

I have also had a couple of posts deleted. Now while I have had some differences with liberals here including our leader I would like leave tonight on a positive note.

I received several PM's today from very nice users here. I appreciate all of them. The one PM I did not expect was from Simon. He told me that he had deleted one of my posts and had taken care of some business. So even though I've disagreed with Simon (and will many times in the future) he didn't let our differences keep him from doing what he felt was right.

So he deleted a user that sent a couple of PM's that were pretty low class. As far as I'm concerned I don't care if he was deleted or not (I don't need to be protected) but Simon did what he felt was right. I'm certain that the PM's weren't the only reason for the deletion but..........

So do not think of this as a sign of weakness but thank you Simon. I look forward to disagreeing with you soon. But not tonight.

Tonight I need to quit screwing around and finish a paper due at 10am.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

It's funny, if/when an explanation is given, it will not change the mind of the person whose thread got locked. Been there, done that.

You write, give an explanation: you get hounded to death about it.

They'll argue it, no matter how much you bend over backwards to appease either side.

Oh, I've done it, and then what happens is that people expect you to become their personal moderator.

The fact that sometimes people, or should I say: adults need to have things spelled out to them, or an explanation why a thread was either deleted/edited/moved/locked, seems ridiculous at times. Like you don't get it?

It sometimes boils down to arguing for the sake of arguing.

When you disagree with the opposing side: you're closed minded/open minded

When you agree with the opposing side: you're closed minded/open minded

Depends upon how you look at it, and who you are, and what your modus operandi is.

To think any moderator will spend time writing to every opposing person opposing the opposing view of everyone else, is a lesson in redundancy. It'll consume every waking moment, and render your participation: mute.

Explanations, can be given if there's time, and that someone is even on-line (here) to give it, if it is warranted. Of course, we don't live on-line here 24/7 as many of you know.

Someone stepped over a line, or a thread has turned into a shit slinging contest, with no one winning over either side, and people wonder why it is locked? Many pages later, and many insults/barbs and pro/against battling it out once again. Where's the good in it? Someone is constantly going to cry foul, no matter what. Or, pull the 'he said/she said' scenario.

The PM feature is quite useful, and it helps when members use it. It helps to focus on any problems or concerns that may occur. I highly recommend it.

Keep in mind, there is so much stuff that goes on here, and some matters/issues need to be addressed, and sometimes, these things get priority over others.

Prisca, made a comment one time....and damnit...I wish I could find it, but it was perfect! (Prisca - you'll know what I mean) about the fact that there's moderating done, begs the question doesn't it.

Terms of Use: read them when you get a chance. I review them constantly.

As a moderator, I've learned something fast: you cannot and will not ever be able to please everyone.

• gumby
    gumby
    It sometimes boils down to arguing for the sake of arguing.

And it's at this point when some can show their true colors, and also at that point, the argument becomes meaningless.

Craig, thanks for the kind words to all.

Gumby

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Ray-

The PM feature is quite useful, and it helps when members use it.

I agree. It also helps when mods use it. I was trying to say that it is extremely frustrating when a thread is locked or deleted and no one bothers to send a PM. No one likes to be ignored. Makes the person feel as if they are not worthy of a response/explanation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit