The locking of threads.

by seven006 124 Replies latest jw friends

• seven006
    seven006

It seems like there is a little fire starting to burn here on the subject of locking threads. Iv been on this board a long time and on average have only seen about one out of every 200 threads locked. Those who have their threads locked take it very personal, that's understandable. If one can see why the tread was locked instead of simply seeing the fact that it was locked you might be able to see a pattern. The majority of threads are locked because they become a pissing match, not necessarily because of the subject matter. The ones that get locked because of subject matter are usually the ones that go a bit too far on sexual issues and the level of detail that is described in them.

The threads that start on controversial issues do not get locked as soon as the thread starts unless they are a continuation of a very similar issue that has already proven to cause fights. It isn't even the fact that it turns into a heated debate but rather the language and cutting remarks made to those who oppose others opinions.

This board does not work in the carefully programed third grade discussion style of hand and mind holding we were all use to in the religion. Concepts are not written out in paragraph form with a simple and easy to understand question that ties directly to the numbered paragraph before it with no discussion or comments that colors outside the lines.

Controversial issues are as important to this board just as much as the fun fluff threads. The problem is that we are all now free to color outside the lines and voice a personal opinion that comes from or freedom to think for ourselves. Another problem is that an issue that is based solely on personal taste and opinion will never be proven right or wrong, it stays open to interpretation and individual thoughts and feelings. To fight about it is pointless. To discuss it in an adult manner may have great benefit and help others learn a thing or two.

Some people on this board are new to the concept of thinking for themselves and having the freedom to express a personal opinion. For a while they have training wheels attached to their brains as they are learning to think for themselves while trying to stay balanced. When someone tells them they are clueless or a moron for expressing that opinion it's like running over their new bicycle with a 18 wheel Mac truck and it closes off the opportunity for that person to gain anything beneficial you might want to say in contrast to their own thoughts. It is not what you say but how you say it that closes threads. It is not the subject matter but the style of the expressed opinion that causes problems.

One thing I learned about fitting into the rest of the world is something people outside the religion learned a long time ago if they wanted to carry on a conversation in a mixed crowed. Don't discuss politics or religion. Most of us are new to having the freedom to discuss politics and this whole board is based on personal thoughts on the topic of religion, so trying to avoid those two subjects are impossible here. This board is not only a definite mixed crowed it also has a lot of mixed up people trying to get their heads straight for the first times in their lives

What seems to be lacking is the ability to discuss these matters in a civil manner. Simon and the rest of the mod squad are not trying to censor or steer people into accepting their own personal feelings as a board wide way of thinking. They are just trying to keep people from orally kicking each others ass all over the pages of this board. Those who cannot, or refuse to see this have remained clueless to the simple fact of it's not what you say, but how you say it that either keeps a thread open or eventually locks it. It is also the little pin prick comments that some are famous for that can be taken either way that keep the pot stirred.

The mods themselves have had to lock some of their own threads because of this. The board is full of people fresh out of the cult and many who have been out a long time. Some are still in the anger stage of their journey and some are way past it. Some of the attitudes are very understandable and naturally expected. It's all a part of our own personal growth. It takes time and understanding to identify all the different levels of our own personal growth let alone that of others. Jumping down someone's throat is easy and doesn't take much thinking, I forget that fact myself at times and make an ass of myself. We all are in a constant growth pattern and learning how to do and think things we were never allowed to do or think.

If you want to tell someone piss up a rope, or use my personal favorite word "fuck" (soon to be edited to duck), do it in a PM or e-mail. That way the person you are talking to can either choose to ignore your statements and not respond or tell you to piss up a rope right back. The mods cannot edit or delete a PM and neither do they want to and it also keeps the Jr. high school style of verbal food fighting off the board.

Freedom of speech is sometimes greatly misunderstood on this forum. Give the mods a break, they don't get paid enough to take this kind of shit...I mean crap...I mean stuff.

It's just a personal opinion.

Dave

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Copy that, dave.

• seven006
    seven006

Simon,

I just saw the thread you started on this same subject after I posted this. Feel free to delete this, I promise not to get mad. I'll just blame it on Craig anyway.

Dave

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I demand this thread be deleted!

Exhibit A:

pissing

Exhibit B:

shit

Exhibit C:

crap

Just kiddin! Good post, I especially concur with this:

Freedom of speech is sometimes greatly misunderstood on this forum. Give the mods a break, they don't get paid enough to take this
    I think the mods are trying to do their best, while I sometimes I don't see where they are coming from, (that is probably a good thing cuz I am too free and loose with cuss words and forget, not everyone is as lax with them as I am) but I do think sometimes people take it very personally. Which while understandable is sad, because it creates a lot of hurt feelings that if when people were face to face could work out in few minutes, but the nature of cyberspace means it takes days to simmer emotions, develop the full story, and not misconstrue what was said. In the mean time, a whole lot of people get hurt, and it's too bad that has to happen.
  • gumby
    gumby

Nice thread Dave and much needed.

Thanks to Simon and Ang

Gumby

• Simon
    Simon

I think it was very well put, no need to delete it.

I've just checked on the Db and out of 56,013 topics there are 259 that are locked. This is just 0.4% if my maths is correct - hardly the rampany problem that some people make out.

In fact, I think if anything we've been too lax in the past and allowed things to go on that should have perhaps been locked.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Yep its a good post Dave.

I've made over 3500 posts and only ever had one thread locked. There is a good balance here and the mods do real well. I can still see why some people get upset though but for the main its very good.

Brummie

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

(((Seven))) Thanks

• talesin
    talesin
    What seems to be lacking is the ability to discuss these matters in a civil manner.

too true, unfortunately

good thread, and a good explanation

Many thanks to Simon & mods for the hard work - it ain't easy bein' green!

talesin

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Dave-

It's just a personal opinion.

Yep.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit