The locking of threads.

by seven006 124 Replies latest jw friends

• seven006
    seven006

Simon,

There is noting like doing the math to open up a few understandably confused eyes. I'm glad you posted the numbers.

Dave

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Well....it used to be what: just Simon doing all the moderating on here?

Then he added a few more.

Think of the traffic that this site generates; and 1 or 2 people to moderate it all:

So of course, as of late, there may be more 'moderating' going on.

Now that there are a few more scattered around the globe they can monitor stuff more uniformly.

This is NOT the only forum where threads are locked or removed. By that, non-JW/JW/exJW/etc., which I keep banging my head on the wall, trying to get through peoples' heads. ie: political, religious, sports forums -> go there.....watch the fur fly, death threats....to name a few.

I think the math has been presented above, do with it as you will.

Another thing, given that some of us are new at moderating, we're learning as we go. Some decisions are not easy, and we do consult with each other, and when possible, consult/communicate with some of the forum members: keep in mind, some of the forum members, don't necessarily respond or respect the Terms of Use, that are on this forum.

Not unique. Terms of Use/Service etc., are on (last time I looked) on almost every forum on the internet. Some are inforced, some are not.

With less than a half percentage % of total threads locked:

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I would like to detract. This thread is about "locking threads" and because it is a pat on the back, it's allowed. Now, I know that whenever someone has a problem with moderation and starts a thread about it, it often turns into something ugly and gets locks. Are only pats on the back allowed though?

So Simon, I have a question. Since you have proven that so FEW threads get deleted, why can't you take the time to drop a quick note when that happens? I address you specifically because 1) I know that Craig does this and 2) You are the only one who has locked any of my threads, so I don't know how the others work. You don't want public threads about them, and yet when I person contacts you privately for an explanation, they often don't get one. Surely you can see a person's frustration.

**This is in no way a complaint or jab, so PLEASE don't take it that way**

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

mod·er·a·tor n.

1. One that moderates, as:
      1. One that arbitrates or mediates.
      2. One who presides over a meeting, forum, or debate.
    2. The officer who presides over a synod or general assembly of the Presbyterian Church. <no, that's not it>
    3. Physics. A substance, such as water or graphite, that is used in a nuclear reactor to decrease the speed of fast neutrons and increase the likelihood of fission. <that's closer than 2>
    4. mod·er·ate adj.

1. Being within reasonable limits; not excessive or extreme: a moderate price.
      2. Not violent or subject to extremes; mild or calm; temperate: a moderate climate.
        1. Of medium or average quantity or extent.
        2. Of limited or average quality; mediocre.
      3. Opposed to radical or extreme views or measures, especially in politics or religion. <LOL>
      4. ar·bi·tra·tor n.

1. A person chosen to settle the issue between parties engaged in a dispute. See Synonyms at judge.
        2. One having the ability or power to make authoritative decisions; an arbiter.
    5. avishai
      avishai

Speaking of which, Dave, I typed your favorite (and mine) word into search this site. Here is a blast from the past thread that made me LMAO. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/15/21873/1.ashx

Too bad it's locked, I use this same program for dr. seuss, the bible, & shakespeare. Hamlet generally turns out the funniest.

6. teejay
      teejay
      It seems like there is a little fire starting to burn here on the subject of locking threads. -- seven006

I wouldn't say "starting to burn." "Continuing to burn" might be a more accurate term.

If one can see why the tread was locked instead of simply seeing the fact that it was locked you might be able to see a pattern. The majority of threads are locked because they become a pissing match, not necessarily because of the subject matter. The ones that get locked because of subject matter are usually the ones that go a bit too far on sexual issues and the level of detail that is described in them.

What if no discernible pattern is seen? What if a thread is locked and there has NOT been a pissing match to break out? what if the subject matter has nothing to do with sex? What if the author (or participants) of a thread suspects that the thread was locked on a personal whim or even vendetta? Could these be conceivable reasons to cause upset feelings?

The threads that start on controversial issues do not get locked as soon as the thread starts unless they are a continuation of a very similar issue that has already proven to cause fights.

What if a mod locks a thread on, say, a controversial topic and then the mod right away authors another thread dealing with the EXACT SAME SUBJECT? Would people have reason to question the reasoning for the first thread being locked?

It isn't even the fact that it turns into a heated debate but rather the language and cutting remarks made to those who oppose others opinions.

What if there has been no abusive language and no cutting remarks and none of the other things you mentioned are present and the thread is still locked? What if there is unmistakable evidence that favoritism has been shown and further, that no effort has been made to assuage feelings that have been deeply hurt?

Controversial issues are as important to this board just as much as the fun fluff threads. The problem is that we are all now free to color outside the lines and voice a personal opinion that comes from or freedom to think for ourselves.

If you say so.

To fight about it is pointless.

Agreed 108%.

When someone tells them they are clueless or a moron for expressing that opinion it's like running over their new bicycle with a 18 wheel Mac truck and it closes off the opportunity for that person to gain anything beneficial you might want to say in contrast to their own thoughts.

Is that anything like telling someone they have their head up their ass without providing a single example of what in the hell you're talking about?

It is not what you say but how you say it that closes threads.

If that were only CONSISTENTLY true and CONSISTENTLY enforced then, IMO, there'd be far fewer problems and far fewer threads of THIS kind plaguing the board.

It is not the subject matter but the style of the expressed opinion that causes problems.

So you say. Some might disagree with that assessment.

What seems to be lacking is the ability to discuss these matters in a civil manner.

I'm sure you're not saying that the "lack of ability to discuss matters in a civil manner" is ALWAYS the cause for locked threads, are you Dave? Things are not always as they seem, especially to one such as yourself who is really not here all that often.

Simon and the rest of the mod squad are not trying to censor or steer people into accepting their own personal feelings as a board wide way of thinking.

I haven't read every thread or post, but I have never seen a single sentence or even phrase where someone come close to making that assertion. Had I seen such, I can almost say with certainty what the reaction would have been.

They are just trying to keep people from orally kicking each others ass all over the pages of this board. Those who cannot, or refuse to see this have remained clueless to the simple fact of it's not what you say, but how you say it that either keeps a thread open or eventually locks it.

So you say. Some might vehemently disagree... with examples to back them up.

Ultimately, Dave, the matter is very simple. Simon has repeatedly made it clear: if people don't want to play by the rules as they are enforced here, they can leave. What's so hard to understand about that? Even if people feel that they have been mistreated, Simon and the mods aren't perfect and are doing the very best they can.

It's just a personal opinion.

And so it is, Dave. So it is.

7. Bendrr
      Bendrr

Great post Dave. Nice to hear one of our reliable voices of reason speaking up on the issue.

There's some topics that are almost impossible to discuss with some kind of resolution that leaves both sides happy around here and one of those topics is moderating of the board.

There's been some moderating decisions made that I've disagreed with and there's been times when I've questioned those decisions and was even less happy with the answers.

But you know what? The board is still here, the board is still growing, and we're still having a great time coming here. Simon made a good decision by adding more moderators and not trying to do it all himself. I'm not sure how many he added but I can just imagine the work load that they face in addition to their regular lives outside of the board.

I'm not for leaving controversial subjects off the board, we have in the past seen some pretty hot stuff discussed reasonably and everyone come away from the thread happy and just a little more enlightened. When things do get too hot, we need to remember that we all have inboxes and private messaging as well as the public forums. Sometimes things are best taken to that "back room".

Mike.

8. waiting
      waiting

"pissing on a rope" aside.............Dave's so colorful, don'tcha think?

I've never had a thread locked of mine - should I be insulted as not being controversial enough? I've complained a time or two........but I tend to be ignored then too, albeit civilly in a British sorta way.

Btw, what's "rampany" Simon? You're either going to have to actually use your spellcheck or clue us in to what sort of English grammer you're using.

Thanks for the stats, Simon. The following quote was given to us at a business seminar. Appropriate to the situation....and true.

When it happens to me - it's a disaster."

When it happens to you - get over it."

9. RedhorseWoman
      RedhorseWoman

All right....all right....I'm sorry......it's my fault....it must be!!! I haven't been around for awhile...just way too busy (did anyone notice? )...and just before I went on hiatus there was a big hoorah about locked threads. Now as soon as I return, the same thing is starting again.

Therefore, ipso facto, it is MY fault....mea culpa.....forgive me..... (sigh)

10. teejay
      teejay
      All right....all right....I'm sorry......it's my fault....

I was jusss about to say...

11. Share this

Google+
      Pinterest
      Reddit