Just ask simple questions and make street witnesses move along

by OnTheWayOut 97 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

@stuck - "that's a bit harsh.....I liked the purple scarfe the main guy was wearing..."

Yeah, I spose you're right, metaphorical "roadkill" or not, it seems a shame to waste a cute scarfe.

• Awake at last
    Awake at last

I agree with Blondie who said that they appeared not to have read the magazine they were highlighting.  Big mistake.  Why should someone else take it and read it if it is obvious the witness person hasn't read it?

Did they have Bibles there?  I didn't notice any.

Counting time is all they were doing, end of story.

• blondie
    blondie
    jws today except for some older ones (my age 60's and older) have little skill at the door.  18 year olds even when I was that age were dubious in their interest and study habits.  I can tell listening to the answers to the current WT study (yes I have a phone contact, but can only stand 2 paragraphs).  I have a friend, inactive jw, who hasn't been to a meeting for 40 years and thinks they are intelligent like he was, loved d2d, brought 10 people in (he regrets that now).  To get the feel of jws today you need to attend meetings requiring answers, have several call on you and discuss what they believe.  Many ex-jws would be better than today's jw, especially 18 year olds.
  • Ding
    Ding

Are the street witnessing JWs trained to explain and defend their beliefs or do they just refer people to jw.org?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Yes, the Witnesses are in a public place.  Yes, the guy has a right to film.  I would agree he was not confrontational in his manner of questioning.  I do think however that many people would feel some apprehension about being filmed in this way.  I am not surprised that the reaction is that there must be an agenda to why they are being filmed.  I am therefore not surprised at all that the response was to move on.  Witnesses are constantly told not to engage with those whose purpose is to criticise and very few are really capable of handing direct questioning and reasoning even when it is done in a calm manner.  I would be interested know how much more time he could have spent talking with the Witnesses with no camera.

The persecution complex is strong in this one....

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Ding, they seem to be not engaging at all.  I suppose the org. will have to fine-tune how they should at least redirect someone.

Konceptual99, it would sound very strange to say "We are not here to discuss it today" because they clearly look like they are there to present their ideas (okay- Watchtower's ideas), but they can easily say something about being concerned about the camera or briefly answer a few questions.  I would say they tried, but showed that they really don't know what to do.

I don't agree with the camera in their face, but it made the point for us.  Try to ask a few questions and they will move on.  Even without a camera, a person could ask questions about creation and the Bible.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

The use of a camera does show up that these Witnesses did not have much real depth of understanding of the creation/evolution debate.  The control aspect is also evident.  From that perspective I think it is great work.

On the other hand, I think that if one's goal is to sow seeds of TTATT then doing so without a camera would be more productive.

Regardless, often when a Witness is faced by someone with knowledge of a subject and the ability to debate the matter then they eventually want to move on.  Even when having a discussion in a reasonable manner, if it is obvious that the person is not coming round to some acceptance of the JW POV then most dubs will move on - no sale here.  When on the doorstep it's easy, you just say "I have to go now".  With the carts it's less easy, they have to be pretty rude and pack up.  Showing that on camera is pretty telling.

I hope the producer, "dontdoasyourtold" carries on with some videos.  I see they are filmed in Bristol and I know at least one friend of ours who does the metropolitan witnessing work there and I would love to see what happens if she was engaged in conversation!

• Earnest
    Earnest

I would certainly refuse to have a discussion with a camera trained on me. Not because I am unable to defend my beliefs but because the opportunity for misrepresenting me is limitless.....Earnest

Not if your doing the talking.....Outlaw

In the circumstances under discussion I would have no say as to how the video is edited before posted on you-tube or wherever. It doesn't matter what I say or how I say it, the editor decides what the public sees and hears. This was simply a cheap gimmick at the kid's expense.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

In the circumstances under discussion I would have no say as to how the video is edited before posted on you-tube or wherever. It doesn't matter what I say or how I say it, the editor decides what the public sees and hears. This was simply a cheap gimmick at the kid's expense.....Earnest

WBT$ Bullshit is "Impossible to Defend" so the JWs ran away..

You don`t need editing for that!..

Look At That JW Run!!..                       The Bastards Asked Me A Question!!

• Magwitch
    Magwitch
    I find the videos absolutely heart wrenching. These beautiful young people pissing away their lives on a terrible lie. I wish I could rescue them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit