Just ask simple questions and make street witnesses move along

by OnTheWayOut 97 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Trolley witnessing?

Try trolley roadkill!

• cappytan
    cappytan

It is sad. (Disclaimer: only watched the first video, figured the second was more of the same.)

Back in the day, I would relish the opportunity to have an intellectual discussion such as this.

What the kid got wrong is that he's obviously not trained properly. First, you find common ground. Find out what the householder believes. Then, talk about what you believe. 

When the householder didn't seem interested in learning more about what you believe, you can then say, "Well, isn't it wonderful we live in a time where we can have discussions like this?"

Depending on the reaction of the householder, I would then say, "No one has all the answers. I personally believe the Bible has satisfying answers and provides comfort for a lot of these existential questions." I would then read a comforting passage or a passage that showed the Bible contained sound advice on living life.

I then would thank the householder for his time, if he was still railing on about evolution, and offer to call back at another time to have another in depth discussion.

What I was taught in Pioneer School is that it's okay to have an intellectual spiritual discussion. Obviously, if the person is just being argumentative or aggressive, the direction was to not waste your time. But in the case of the first video, it seemed to me that there was a genuine interchange of ideas there, and that poor, ill-equipped bloke looked like a deer in the headlights.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

What cappytan said!!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I remember me and my childhood friend going rounds with trinitarians (looking back now this was a tremendous waste of time) but we were way younger than these guys and we could argue for days with strong conviction and ver feel antagonized lol. We knew our s%$t! But its all nonsense and the more witnesses are exposed to those that know the real truth, and the end keeps not coming, and science teaches more about our universe and ancient cultures, i guess its better for them to know nothing and run away. Public carts may be backfiring 
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    There is nothing "poor" about them. They choose to set themselves up the side walk, pretending to have all the answers. Poor public, more to the point.
  • cofty
    cofty
    if he was still railing on about evolution, and offer to call back at another time to have another in depth discussion.

I used to love to discuss evolution. The fact that I had not read a single book on the subject was no obstacle.

For the past 10 years I have been reading books on natural science and I am aghast at my former ignorance.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

"trolley road kill" sparrow down??

That's a bit harsh....I really liked the purple scarf the main dude was wearing...hate to see it ruined.

No, seriously, while we don't agree with their message etc, we don't wish anything evil on them as individual people. Remember, we were like them at one stage...but with time and research we woke up...perhaps they can as well? 

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I hate when I bring up a science or archeology fact and its immediately dismissed by my spouse as just not true... On what grounds??? the cult mind hits its limiter and there is no where else to go, cognitive dissonance then goes into overdrive. These kids seem to have a very low bar for hitting the limit of what they know. 
  • cappytan
    cappytan

stuckinarut2: That's exactly how I feel. It calls to mind Jesus' description of them being like "sheep thrown about without a shepherd."

These Dubs in this video are just pawns of a bunch of Pharisees...they're proverbial cannon fodder.

• blondie
    blondie

18 and it sounds like he has not read the WTS publications he has there.  Even the WTS says the earth was created 4 billion years ago.  Why doesn't he know that?  Very embarrassing to be on YouTube.

For example, when we understand that the Bible uses the term “day” to represent various periods of time, we see that the account of the six creative days in Genesis need not conflict with the scientific conclusion that the age of the earth is about four and a half billion years.
    g02 6/8 pp. 8-11 - Awake!—2002

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit