It's been a long 9 years Lloyd Evans / John Cedars

by Newly Enlightened 11530 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Jofi_Wofo
    Jofi_Wofo

Jeez.

I would think that despite whatever anyone thinks of Lloyd as a person, his recent moral failings, or his career as an activist, that we could all agree that the worst thing that could happen here is if he killed himself. He seemed on the edge of doing so while making this latest video and admitted to having wrestled with thoughts to that effect throughout the ordeal.

Maybe we can be a little humane first and THEN worry about what a [insert preferred insult here] he is.

• Simon
    Simon
    He seemed on the edge of doing so while making this latest video and admitted to having wrestled with thoughts to that effect throughout the ordeal.

I didn't see that. He seemed to relish the number of people watching his livestream. He likes attention.

People who are genuinely considering suicide don't tell people they are suicidal. He appeared to be using "mental health" as an excuse and to elicit sympathy.

All of the thing happening are due to his own choices, and he didn't express regret for any of them.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I wonder if he'll retain enough of his audience to have enough income for child support now. His standard of living will likely go down; can't see being able to afford prostitutes, let alone plane trips to see them.

At one point in the live stream he contorted his face and 'cried' with his face in his hands and then two seconds later it was dry and gone. He did at one point say about his wife 'I don't deserve her', but 99.99% of the rest was literally blaming everyone else, including insinuating that his "sexual repression" as a JW was somehow unique.

Her words in the statement about him being narcissistic and manipulative now ring very true, and I'm sorry I was critical of Simon in the past for avoiding links to JW Survey. That website has had some great articles, but it's clear now that this guy really is trouble.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Wow, what a clusterfuck. I've been wary of "activists" who want to bring down the Watchtower for many years. I think "activism" is really another code word for fleecing whatever flock is following you around. I have no use for it, and shit storms like this just give the Witnesses ammunition to throw back at us.

He isnt holding himself up as a beacon of righteousness, or pretending to be gods channel. What he does in his personal life is his business- isnt it?

If he was doing this on his own dime sure, but when you solicit funding for your escapades it's wrong.

People who are genuinely considering suicide don't tell people they are suicidal.

Actually not true. When I was working in the rehab facility we had a class on suicide prevention. The counselor running the course said that suicidal people frequently talk about it first.

A final note. As Simon pointed out, prostitution isn't some career choice. The rehab outfit had a film of interviews with sex workers in Thailand. One young woman (I have no idea how old she was -- she looked about twelve) described the vicious circle she lived in: she needed to turn tricks to get money to pay for drugs so she could turn more tricks to get more drugs... Heart breaking. I'm glad I never gave him money to support that kind of abuse.

PS before I went to work in rehab, I was a patient. I went there to work on the problems that let to a botched suicide attempt. That was years ago, I would not be here if I had not gone to work on myself. You can change a lot about yourself, but you won't get very far if your plan is to air your dirty laundry in public. Just shut up, man up and face the fact that you have problems.

• Gorb
    Gorb

Sometimes, jw org seems right with the expression mental illnes. Lloyd Evens is a sick man.

G.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

He isnt holding himself up as a beacon of righteousness, or pretending to be gods channel. What he does in his personal life is his business- isnt it?

JeffT

"If he was doing this on his own dime sure, but when you solicit funding for your escapades it's wrong."

I dont watch his channel for moral guidance, I watch it for a dissection of whatever subject he happens to be talking about. If people want to give him money for his content, he can do whatever he wants with it, unless it is set up as a charity.

There seem to be some people here he has rubbed the wrong way, which is another issue.

• Simon
    Simon
    Actually not true. When I was working in the rehab facility we had a class on suicide prevention. The counselor running the course said that suicidal people frequently talk about it first.

Yeah, I phrased that poorly. I was meaning in the context of making YouTube videos, but specifically that I don't think he's suicidal by a long stretch, that was a performance that he'd rehearsed, which is why he paused when the camera went off so people could witness it.

But thanks for the correction and insights.

prostitution isn't some career choice. The rehab outfit had a film of interviews with sex workers in Thailand. One young woman (I have no idea how old she was -- she looked about twelve) described the vicious circle she lived in: she needed to turn tricks to get money to pay for drugs so she could turn more tricks to get more drugs... Heart breaking. I'm glad I never gave him money to support that kind of abuse.

Totally - its heart wrenching when you see the stats of how many predominantly women and young girls are trafficked and forced into prostitution and the individual accounts are harrowing. I can't believe we live in a world where trafficking people like that isn't a death sentence.

I'm sure there are some that chose it, but even then I think it's because something else in their life failed - so they chose an "easy" option, but there's a reason people talk about escaping from it, and try to help others to do the same.

Fundamentally, people who visit prostitutes likely don't put the effort they should into determining whether they truly are doing it 100% of the own volition. They likely lack the resources to do so even if they wanted to. Which means they may very well be raping someone, even in western countries but especially in some where sex tourism is a bigger problem.

What's the difference, after all, between Harvey Weinstein taking advantage of someone who wants a part in a movie and someone taking advantage of a girl who needs money or drugs, other than it is far easier for the former to walk away ...

If someone says "yes" because they have no other option, then it's not really consent.

• Crispin
    Crispin

So many pompous voices on here.

He makes good content and helps more people than the rest of the ex JW community combined imo. All this takes time and comes at a cost - it is perfectly legitimate for him to take whatever he can get out of it.

Unlike the organisation he doesn't pretend to be a beacon of all that's holy so he doesn't need to live up to that standard. I don't care a jot about what he does in his personal life - we are all making our way and learning as we go...

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Her words in the statement about him being narcissistic and manipulative now ring very true, and I'm sorry I was critical of Simon in the past for avoiding links to JW Survey.
    His wife said that?

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Ha ha first post in MANY a year!

My cousin who is like a brother to me sent me the video on WhatsApp. Last time I was here, WhatsApp didnโ€™t exist, and me and my cousin were still estranged over JW shit. Now heโ€™s sending me Lloyd Evans videos ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ‘

I have told him many times that although I think the content of his videos is good, I have no time for the man. Because of the AAWA stuff, and his complete arrogance over exposing exJWs to their families and congregations.

So he sends me the link, I go to look just now, see itโ€™s 1hr 38mins long and think wtf no WAY am I sitting through that ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Iโ€™m trying to find online what has been released about him. Reddit has taken it down. And I think โ€œnow whereโ€™s it gonna beโ€ฆ.โ€

Et voila! Here I am, here some of you still are, and thereโ€™s the info I was looking for ๐Ÿ˜Ž

So many memories ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’™

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit