It's been a long 9 years Lloyd Evans / John Cedars

by Newly Enlightened 11530 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• LouGoode
    LouGoode

If he is referring to my tweet then I am extremely flattered that he follows me so closely. I only posted it a couple of hours ago.

šŸ˜Š

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The link to the old thread (where Lloyd Evans outed people in Facebook, then called them liars, then ignored them) reminds me of something I wrote that still stands today.

I am not surprised how Cedars has acted to be honest. But I am really a bit disappointed in Paul Grundy and Lee Marsh. Paul has said next to nothing about the Facebook fiasco and the effect it has had on people's lives. In fact he still has a link to the Facebook page on his JWFACTS website. That is a poor show in my view. Misplaced loyalty or a lack of a spine I don't know.

Lloyd Evans has traded on the respectability others gave him, to cover up his appalling treatment of others, from the beginning. There is still a video on his channel celebrating ā€œ10 yearsā€ where Paul Grundy is the main cheerleader. A lot of the people in the video, probably the majority, have now distanced themselves from Lloyd Evans, but itā€™s still up there. Maybe if Paul Grundy asked for it to be removed then it would come down.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    If an individual makes the decision to undertake activism work thatā€™s their choice and must be prepared to fund it.

Yep šŸ‘šŸ¼

• KIMSILVIO
    KIMSILVIO
    Lloyd Evans has traded on the respectability others gave him, to cover up his appalling treatment of others, from the beginning. There is still a video on his channel celebrating ā€œ10 yearsā€ where Paul Grundy is the main cheerleader. A lot of the people in the video, probably the majority, have now distanced themselves from Lloyd Evans, but itā€™s still up there. Maybe if Paul Grundy asked for it to be removed then it would come down.

Iā€™m ashamed to say that I produced that video and am in itā€¦..the minute I found out about lloyd, it was the first thing I thought about. It still makes me sick to think about it.

• Simon
    Simon
    Also 100% agree with that!!!! I also think we need to be slow to put our hands in our pocketsā€¦.we donā€™t HAVE to financially support anyone. We can if we want, but we donā€™t have to. Iā€™ve seen so many comments about people wanting to ā€œmove their financial support to xxx personā€ā€¦..why?

When it comes to getting a message out, the internet is the ultimate in "cheap", you can actually do most things pretty much for free.

What changes is when you want to make money. There can be legitimate reasons for this, maybe you have incurred some costs travelling to do research (but again, most things are online now, so why?) or to interview people (ever heard of video conferencing?). Pretty much anything you can think of can be done remotely online at zero cost.

The reason for travelling usually comes down to promotion. Same with someone doing a book tour - they want to shake some hands and build up some 'aura' to gain more followers. Why? To sell more product.

This is where things can easily change. Because even if all you are doing is putting a Google Adsense ad on your website, you are making a choice. You are inconveniencing someone and providing a worse user experience intentionally to make money.

I made that choice. You will see the ads at the top and side of this site. At one time I was spending several hundred dollars a month for database and web hosting and even if you're on a decent salary, it can be a drag on your finances. Thanks to technology innovation (the cloud) and competition, and some refactoring, it now costs less than $100 per month and if I spend some time on development I can drive the cost down further still. The fact that there are only 2 ad-slots instead of the 3 permitted is because the 2 work to cover the costs and maybe at some point only 1 would be needed. I think I had a PayPal donate button for a short period too, but I always felt a little uneasy when someone donated and worried what would happen if I thought I needed to moderate something that person subsequently posted.

The point of that is to demonstrate that even with the best of intentions, you almost certainly will be making tradeoffs between what is best for your users and what is best for the revenue. Hopefully it's not too bad of a tradeoff even though in an ideal world any ads are really "too many".

But further along the spectrum you get to the point where what you publish makes a difference. i.e. you can easily have to chose between what's true and factual ... and what is popular and sells. The minute you start making decisions based on what $$$ it will generate, I think that starts dictating all your behavior from then on.

No longer is the monetization there to cover the costs of creating content, but the content is there to support the monetization efforts. It's flipped. The more money, the more compromised the decision making becomes, to the extreme that if you are 100% dependent on the income as your sole means of living ... you have pretty much guaranteed that you will always be making decisions based on generating the most revenue. It's inevitable human nature. At that point you're running a business.

It doesn't mean you're corrupt and that people shouldn't be able to support your endeavours if they want, but IMO it takes someone with strong ethics and morals to not be compromised by the setup. Because it's a business, anyone else doing the same thing is now competition, taking away views that could be yours (in a business where views = $$$) so now you have an incentive to try to out-compete them, either fairly by creating good content, or unfairly by bad-mouthing them and driving them out of business (which is actually easier when they are not in it for the $$$, because it is all just unnecessary aggravation for them - pain with no benefit).

Think about why you are being asked for money. Do you really need to fund someone's trip for a meetup? Why aren't they paying for it themselves, given that the benefit is to them, for self-promotion, to meet their followers? Likewise for the time they spend - they chose to spend time on their project instead of with their family, how does sending them money alter that? All it really does is encourage them to spend even less time with their family doesn't it?

As Andrew Gold mentioned on his video, it's better to not have all your eggs in one basket, instead of depending too much on one community, belong to many. That way if one ends up becoming a disappointment, well, you are not so impacted. Same with content creators - if you do want to support people, give less but to more people. Don't give huge amounts to one, and put them on a pedestal because you risk two things: first, you may be hurt if you discover that they are not "all that" and were using your monetary donations for unsavoury things, and second, you may compromise your own morals by feeling you have to ignore what they have done and keep supporting them (something many JWs do when they find out about WT wrongdoing).

So think twice before sending $$$. It can be a really nice thing to do to support someone, but maybe think of it more as a tip than a fee - beware if they are claiming they have costs (for what, exactly, you don't have to upgrade their equipment to hear the message) or need you to pay for their time (why, you didn't hire them?). Your contribution could inadvertently make things worse.

• Simon
    Simon
    Iā€™m ashamed to say that I produced that video and am in itā€¦..the minute I found out about lloyd, it was the first thing I thought about. It still makes me sick to think about it.

I don't think anyone should have any regrets about things they did when it's the other person that undermined it and makes you feel that regret.

But notice, you feel bad, in hindsight, because you are a moral, caring person. The guy with no regrets has no morals, and feels no shame for anything he does. He's happy to use people to further his own goals without any real regard for how his actions impact those people.

• Toblerone5
    Toblerone5

like in the movie Beetlejuice ,it has to be 3 time peoples...LLOYD EVANS,LLOYD EVANS, LLOYD EVANS ! knock knock who's there? ,LLOYD EVANS, LLOYD EVANS, LLOYD EVANS ...AND LLOYD EVANS LLOYD EVANS, LLOYD EVANS ,I can't beleive LLOYD EVANS, LLOYD EVANS, LLOYD EVANS did that to Miss LLOYD EVANS LLOYD EVANS LLOYD EVANS and LLOYD EVANS , LLOYD EVANS LLOYD EVANS Childrens the 2 LLOYD EVANS LLOYD EVANS , LLOYD EVANS girls .And thank LLOYD EVANS, LLOYD EVANS, LLOYD EVANS for copy and paste , LLOYD EVANS, LLOYD EVANS, LLOYD EVANS . those last 3 LLOYD EVANS, LLOYD EVANS LLOYD EVANS too much?

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Lloyd is now banging on about ā€œpeople obsessing with his pastā€ on Twitter

He knows most of the crazier shit he has pulled is on this forum. Perhaps this is the main reason Simon has not been added to the litigation. Imagine a lawyer reading through all these threads and slowly realising the real cyber-bully has been his client all along.

Maybe if Paul Grundy asked for it to be removed then it would come down.

I wouldn't hold my breath. He didn't say anything when jwfacts was printed on the back of a pirated copy of Crisis of Conscience and that directly involved him. At the least you would have thought he'd have released a neutral statement that he didn't ask for his website to be on the back and request that it is removed. He has also made some comments on here I believe about writing the forward for Lloyd's second book that were suspect. He claimed that Lloyd could be earning a lot more in the secular world but cared so much about the exJW cause he was essentially taking a pay cut.

Oh really Paul? What job is out there either in Croatia or that allows you to work remotely that pays over $130,000 USD for a two year art/design school grad whose main experience outside exJW activism is landscaping, window washing, document review and proofreading his wife's translations?

• Toblerone5
    Toblerone5

If any of you want to see it... Even Lloyd Evans, Lloyd Evans ,Lloyd Evans

https://twitter.com/joseelyne1/status/1515656312293625860?s=20&t=JCQfIQDS0_BtpjA5BBl9YA

• NonCoinCollector
    NonCoinCollector

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR LLOYD EVANS:

Hello Lloyd Evans, how is it going this morning? Lloyd Evans, you should see all the parody Twitter accounts about you. You are certainly within your right to block us on Twitter and make our comments invisible on YouTube. What you can't do is stop people from publishing videos and making Twitter parody accounts. You can't block those. You can't stop people from publishing the truth about you. Which do you think will do more damage in the long term to your so-called work? For instance, do you think I only have followers for XJW content? Yes Lloyd Evans, my plan is to make you infamous. It doesn't matter how long it takes. I don't care if you go by James Lloyd Evans, John Cedars, Lloyd Evans, or any other name, you can't hide what you are. And yes that voice you are hearing in your head that sounds like a south-eastern Texas accent, is me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit