Do You Think People Should Be Scorned For Wearing A Red MAGA Hat?

by minimus 84 Replies latest jw friends

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Pete, what you said is not what that MAGA hat means. That’s like saying if you like Trump it symbolizes that you hate gays and blacks. That’s outrageously bullshit!

That is what the hat symbolizes to many. And you can't change that. I realize, not everyone wears the hat to project that hateful message, but you now have been informed, (if somehow you didn't know already) that the hat symbolizes hatefulness to many people. That's why you will get scorn and condemnation (or worse in the wrong neighborhoods.) It's not oppression,its free speech at it's best.

What would you do if you see someone wearing a T-shirt like I described?

• LV101
    LV101

Of course it "symbolizes" that to the left and I wonder why -- it's not based on evidence but just maybe because Trump was the winner!

The behavior of the liberals is nothing new but more of the same duplicitous, evil, but has intensified -- if that's possible after Obama/Ole Hil. They clearly will go down in history as the most corrupt in US politics and why many fled their party. We will see how many return to the Dem party for the 2020 election and how many illegal votes (deceased/illegals/repetitive voting, prison inflating) or internet corruption skews the election this time. Never a shortage of news these days.

New evidence out re/political violence/assaults. Trump rallies blamed but turns out it's not at Trump rallies but guess which ones! Gotta love facts and from reliable sources.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I really have no problem with it ... freedom of expression is what it is.

If a person wants to wear a MAGA, KKK, Skinhead or other hat like that, I think it is up to the individual.

Live and let live.

Rub a Dub

• Simon
    Simon
    That is what the hat symbolizes to many. And you can't change that.

No, but we can ridicule and rubbish the idea - because it's stupid.

I realize, not everyone wears the hat to project that hateful message, but you now have been informed, (if somehow you didn't know already) that the hat symbolizes hatefulness to many people.

And we can not give a flying fig about those people's dumb and contrived opinions.

That's why you will get scorn and condemnation (or worse in the wrong neighborhoods.) It's not oppression,its free speech at it's best.

Except when people are attacked for wearing their hat, then they cross the line - they are no longer just dumb, they are dumb and dangerous and criminal.

What would you do if you see someone wearing a T-shirt like I described?

What's the point in answering? It's nothing like the same situation.

Oh, wait, news just in: people view "right to choose" and "support planned parenthood" signs as synonymous with murderous psychopaths and also people who hate n*ggers and f*gs, because "why not throw everything in there"

So, y'all have to stop showing support ... right? I mean, that's your logic of how things work isn't it?

• Simon
    Simon

Peacefulpete: I re-wrote your post to apply to a different group. I find your views Islamophobic and you should be ashamed. Unless you'd like to retract the whole wonky idea ...

A person wearing a T-shirt that said "Jews and non-believers should be killed" will rightly be called out as un-American and receive condemnation for the shirt. Despite the blinders of some Hijab / Niqab wearers this is exactly what that clothing means to many Americans. For a large percentage of the world population the Hijab / Niqab is a symbol of many things wrong with Muslim thinking, you may not agree and feel the head-dress just means you like halal meat, but you don't get to decide what the clothing symbolizes to others. Sure you can wear an in-your-face black hood, just don't cry persecution when you get dirty looks and comments knowing what the hood symbolizes to many people.

• Simon
    Simon

Finkelstein: fuck off posting your trash, trying to equate a MAGA hat to the KKK hood. If you object to the KKK hood so much, why do you support the dems? Not every democrat was a KKK member but every KKK member was a democrat.

A more apt comparison would be the black masks of ANTIFA ... oh look, the dems created another paramilitary group of thugs to get their way with intimidation and violence.

Funny how they keep doing that isn't it? But you think people wearing a red hat are the problem ...

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I'll let the illusion of D Trump not being a closeted racist carry on.

He'll be gone in the next election and perhaps someone without that attached character identity will replace him.

I like the Democrats as of late because the last person that was in office was an intelligent educated guy who just wanted things better for the working class, not the top 1% corporate elite as Trump has mostly supported. He also placed people in his administration who were academically educated, who had some experience in politics, not his own personal family members who never had .

Take a moment to reflect just how many people Trump has booted out and replaced in his top administration since he's taken office . Its indicative toward the fact that he doesn't really have strong support around himself and his political ideologies.

Why did his once closely associated lawyer call him out as being a racist ?

There has been a long list of times or situations where Trump has been pointed out as being a closet racist even before he got involved into politics.

Have you ever noticed that there is hardly any colored people at Trump's rallies ?

White nationalism is an expressive ideology quite often associated with Trump, there is probable reason for that.

Unlike Republican G Bush who never had that characterization placed over himself.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

By the way I have no problem with people wearing a MAGA hat, its the policies that are devised or created to accomplish that effort that may pose to be a problem.

Some of Trump's polices do have merit in support of the business environment within America.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

A person wearing a T-shirt that said "Jews and non-believers should be killed" will rightly be called out as un-American and receive condemnation for the shirt. Despite the blinders of some Hijab / Niqab wearers this is exactly what that clothing means to many Americans. For a large percentage of the world population the Hijab / Niqab is a symbol of many things wrong with Muslim thinking, you may not agree and feel the head-dress just means you like halal meat, but you don't get to decide what the clothing symbolizes to others. Sure you can wear an in-your-face black hood, just don't cry persecution when you get dirty looks and comments knowing what the hood symbolizes to many people.

You make a good point, people do judge you by what your clothing says, telling people you are the 'exception' to what others,right or wrongly, perceive that article of clothing to symbolize is just denying reality and inviting scorn. If you've made your mind up that all Muslims are racist killers of Jews and nonbelievers, trying to reason with you that that is "bullshit" would be futile, ...right? (Of course I trust that is not your actual position but you brought up the parallel for comparison.) So if a woman Musllim wears a burka she reasonably would know someone will scorn her because of their preconceived ideas of what the burka symbolizes. On that one level the hat and burka are parallels, both are symbols of identity. The red hat symbolizes Trumpism, the burka a sign of Islamic religious modesty.

BTW,It is being missed somehow that I never suggested people who scorn red hat wearers were justified, I pointed out the obdurate nature of pleading ignorance as to why the red hat elicits scorn. Just like a burka wearer is aware that angry racists are likely to abuse her as a result of wearing it, red hat wearers ought to be aware that right or wrong the hat symbolizes racism to many people.

The parallel ends there as one is a religious/family requirement and the other is political sloganeering. But if it helps you to see the way you are being perceived by many when you wear the hat, great.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

People, let the people who wear the MAGA hats alone. They have the right to do so.

It's just a giveaway that they probably have chrome bull balls hanging off their pickup truck's trailer hitch and they met their spouses at a family picnic.

But let them wear their hats and enjoy! It's a big country.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit