Charging $150 To Tell Your Stories

by Bangalore 178 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon
    Who was it that reprinted Crisis of Conscience without permission and then sold those copies online?

Lloyd Evans. He slapped his name and URL on the back.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Lloyd Evans. He slapped his name and URL on the back.

Thought so (but could not find the thread to confirm the details of that copyright violation).

THAT history makes this current endevour all the more distasteful.

Egregious is a better word.

btw - Does anyone have a link to that thread from a couple years back?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Simon: He slapped his name and URL on the back.

That is really just plain awful. Awful.

To take such a great book, authored by such a great man - a book that has such a great track record - and use it for his own self promotion really, really takes the fucking cake.

I didn't want to say anything more on this thread but that just picks my craw

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

I think y'all are making way too much fuss about Cedar's use of the word ''girls". It is a very common term in chatting forums. Even (many, not all) women who don't like being called 'females' are fine with their chatting/texting/sexting partners calling them 'girl'. It is often just a pet name, not an actual indicator of age.

• thebrokenkite
    thebrokenkite

@Diogenesister Thank you for that info and for providing objective insight on both sides. It fills in a few gaps. I was so surprised and disappointed to learn of this in-fighting, even more so when I became the target of the aggressive apostate vitriol. It’s an incredible testament to WT’s effective propaganda and mind control that even former members who now speak loudly against their captors use the very same methods used on them inside the org. I guess some leave the cult, but the cult never leaves them.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    was so surprised and disappointed to learn of this in-fighting, even more so when I became the target of the aggressive apostate vitriol.

Whilst that is horrible to hear, especially with you being newly awoken ( one good thing about this forum is the unwritten tradition that all bets are off with new posters, they should be treated with tact and respect).

However I just made a post about our disunity being our strength. We can and do have differing views, like any normal, healthy community. Uniformity is usually a bad sign in a group, but its true in the cult you loose the art of debating and so many see a disagreement as a personal attack.

Let's rejoice in our non conformity, learn from our mistakes and move on, I guess.

Susan Gaskin has just made a great video on the subject.

• snugglebunny
  • John Davis
    John Davis

A lot of it is also the fact that people keep inflating his ego for him. Some of it I am sure is well deserve praise but not all of it. Also the way that he feels that his site is used by experts or how experts come to him for advice, I am sure he is in contact with lawyers and others but if it wasn't him it would have been someone else. These professionals will use whatever resource is available and it isn't because Cedars is this brilliant genius that only he is smart enough for these things.

• Hecce
    Hecce

The matter of the infringement on the COC copyright is very interesting, at the Spanish Forum there is a group of friends that are translating Cedar's book to Spanish. One of them got a full copy online and he made the mistake of telling Cedars, his reaction was quite explosive; the individual put a copy of their exchange online and here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9QFYOHNVhEITUd3WDF3ZDRseUU/view

Some of friends stopped translating and others are going ahead with their portion of the book.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

@Hecce, where is the explosive response part? I don't see that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit