Charging $150 To Tell Your Stories

by Bangalore 178 Replies latest jw friends

• LV101
    LV101

Simon -- perfect!!

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Holy shit.. i wasnt going to click on the link until someone said it was cedars idea. I didnt want to believe it... but damn if it isnt so. What a slimy son of a bitch.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Upon further review let me clarify: its lazy and a bit untoward to start a go fund me style page for writing a book (just write it) however the initial levels of supprt are not what makes him slimy. They are basically just preorders and him promising to autograph your copy. Thats fair enough, a preorder and a signed copy for 10 bucks. The slimy part is the 150 for MAYBE getting your story in the book and, at best, one direct quote. What a damn troll trying to take advantage of a group of people whom he know dont feel as if they have their voices heard. Hes essentially saying “i will make sure your voice is heard!.... for a price”. Reminds me of every religious leader in history, promising to make sure god hears you... for a price... and only through him can you be heard.

Cedars, a very special “fuck you”, from me to you.

• jp1692
    jp1692

For some activists, it’s all about the cause. For others, they are the cause.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I'll help you tell your story for free (shunnedpodcast.com), and you get more than just a guaranteed minimum of "one quote" (wtf?). I do get that it takes time and effort to do this stuff and honestly if people want to donate I have no problems there either. Charging for minimal inclusion feels gross though. If he wants to fund things he can make money on the back end through sales of his book. Don't charge the people that are helping create the content for you.

When I started my podcasts (which are free) I reached out to other podcasters that weren't JWs and a few people for advice or collaboration to help me get listeners to what I felt was an important message. The only place where I got no response was at jwsurvey. I figured they might have advice. They never bothered to respond.

• jp1692
    jp1692
    Dub: The only place where I got no response was at jwsurvey.

Yep. That sounds about right.

Any ex- or want-to-be exJW can tell their story here for free. AND they’ll have a much larger, more appreciative and sympathetic audience.

But wait, there’s more: you also get immediate feedback! No extra charge.

• zophar
    zophar

Guess I'll revert to old habits and quote a Scripture:

Matthew 7:20The Message (MSG)

15-20 “Be wary of false preachers who smile a lot, dripping with practiced sincerity. Chances are they are out to rip you off some way or other. Don’t be impressed with charisma; look for character. Who preachers are is the main thing, not what they say. A genuine leader will never exploit your emotions or your pocketbook. These diseased trees with their bad apples are going to be chopped down and burned."

Man Cedars.....really?

• snugglebunny
  • ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

From the link by Snugglebunny...

Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a disorder where an individual has a distorted self-image, unstable and intense emotions, is overly preoccupied with vanity, prestige, power, and personal adequacy, lacks empathy, and has an exaggerated sense of superiority.

This is definitely off topic, but it struck me just how narcissistic members of the GB are. It all fits, especially the last remark about having an exaggerated sense of superiority.

• rebel8
    rebel8

It's free to write and publish your own short story if you have a computer or can use the one at the public library. Just go to amazon.com and do it! Make it as long as you want.

I know an even easier way to do it for free. It's called https://www.jehovahs-witness.com

But as Simon eloquently said, victims make the best victims.

I have a special hatred for people who prey upon vulnerable people. We've seen evangelists on this forum do it. We've had posters bilk other posters out of $ (Mouthy). I even started a vigil here for a dying member who (come to find out) didn't exist. Ask anyone who's had cancer how many people try to sell them cures as effective as Miracle Wheat. #45 is proving people can fall for even the most preposterous of claims, so if you're out to scam people, you will succeed if you try hard enough. People suck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit