In one sentence, can you pinpoint a single event that woke you up?

by Brian J 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Believe it or not, before Pale.Emperor was an apostate he was an avid Bible researcher. Hell, i used to debate other religious nuts for pure enjoyment. I could defend and uphold Watchtower doctrine like you'd never believe.

Then one Sunday im sitting there in the Kingdom Hall, I turn the page to see this in my Watchtower:

Two months later i was out.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

When I found out about Rutherford. I realised a man like that could never have been chosen by God.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Welcome FickleMagpie!

Great name by the way!

• TheFadingAlbatros
    TheFadingAlbatros

A single word will dot it :

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

There were so many things that finally tip the scales, but the first "eye-opener" was when I was 19 and serving as a young ministerial servant in the Circuit Assembly Accounts Department. We just heard a reversal of an organization policy involving alternative service in lieu of mandatory military service that stated it was now alright to do so. The elder I was working with was a college student during the Vietnam War and remembers all the brothers who went to prison even though the were offered to work in the US Post Office instead of military service. I saw how deeply it effected him and saw in myself how it effected me.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

My single event was the way the elders treated me when I reported the sexual abuse I received as a child. It was totally disgusting the way they treated me. That was it...I was done.

• Gayle
    Gayle

My "Houston, we have a problem!" moment, when I realized I was smarter than the GB, and I wasn't bragging!

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Changing the Bible's words at the baptism talk was huge.

Mt 28:19, 20 says to baptize '...in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy spirit.'

Watchtower baptizes '...in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of God's spirit directed organization.'

JWs are now baptized in the name of their own Organization, while holy spirit has been reduced to nothing more than an adjective describing that organization. Does anything scream CULT more than this?

• Ding
    Ding

I'm surprised the 1995 generation change didn't send a lot more JWs heading for the door.

Most JWs ignored the change and kept right on going.

Some even rejoiced at the "new light."

The "one generation" arrow from 1914 to the end of this system was easy to understand.

Now it's gone.

Of course, the GB had to come up with something to explain why 81 years had passed since 1914 with no new system in sight.

They equated "generation" with "contemporary" and kicked the can down the road about 100 years.

• Londo111
    Londo111

My then disfellowshiped ex-wife brought me the October 2011 Watchtower in an effort to get me back to the meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit