In one sentence, can you pinpoint a single event that woke you up?

by Brian J 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I was really struggling with my faith. I engaged with someone on a discussion board on AOL. He made a comment that explained the lie of the Wt related to the Trinity. I did a little research and realized he was right. I don't remember the discussion, but I do remember the effect. I can distinctly remember sitting on a chair in the family room and realizing that my whole life was built on lies. I was overwhelmed. It was not just the discussion comment, but his comment was clearly the tipping point.

• pometerre21
    pometerre21

Mentally, it was when the $4,000 fine article from the San Diego Reader popped up on my news feed and I started investigation the child abuse that this religion was responsible for covering up.

Emotionally, a couple of weeks after the above, I watched a video on the vestigial traits that humans have because of evolution. There was one that talked about how our ears have muscles that cause them to "perk up" or move at a sudden sound. I have always wondered about this because my ears do it. I would ask other people I knew well if their ears did this; I thought it was strange. Come to find out that there is no other reason our ears do this other than we descended from a species for which this was necessary during their hunting days. I wanted to cry when I saw that video. It seems like such a small thing, but it was such a simple, sensical answer to this tiny thing I had wondered about myself.

• never a jw
    never a jw

My waking up obviously was not from JWism, but from religion in general. I was about 13 or 14 y.o. and found science and religion incompatible, so I tossed religion. No regrets 40 years later.

Welcome pometerre21!!, welcome to the forum and to freedom!!

• HappyOutsideTheBox
    HappyOutsideTheBox

When I realised just how many brothers were struggling with homosexual feelings, having to deny it in front of the congregations yet all the while being involved in networking with like-minded brothers on forums.

Some followed through in action and were disfellowshipped but most were carrying a huge burden of guilt because of their feelings. Many were well respected brothers who were well known and well used in pioneering, Bethel and circuit.

It all shouted out ‘wrong’. These lovely people who were burying themselves in a religion, being weighed down by guilt and not living their lives or being true to themselves.

It made me realise that the ‘rules’ that the WT imposed and that we had all obeyed like sheep for so long were actually restrictive, damaging and cruel.

Apart from that of course, as mentioned in comments above was the ‘generation’ and the ‘blood fractions’…and so many other things.

Sorry, that was definitely longer than a sentence!

HOTB

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

Tight pants tony rant- I was like wtf

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

It would be a very LONG sentence!!!!!!!!

• minimus
    minimus

They are always wrong!

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

1995 "this generation" change and the following Daniel and Issaia books woke me up 😁

G.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Overlapping generations did it for me.

• lrkr
    lrkr

Up at 11:30 PM. Young child and wife asleep upstairs, and I'm adding up service reports that are clearly faked and mean nothing. Pointless. And on a deadline. WTF- and I don't mean Watchtower Farms.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit