In one sentence, can you pinpoint a single event that woke you up?

by Brian J 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I agree with On the Way Out.

The 1995 Generation change. It didn't really hit me right then and there. It dawned on me in the months and years following that Nov 1995 Generation change, back of my mind I so wondered. I began to wonder, if they changed that in the WT study, and what else might they change. I mean because TRUTH doesn't change, right!

• Poztate
    Poztate

The change in shunning rules around 1974. Articles came out that strict family shunning was no longer necessary if you wished to have a normal family relationship with DF'ed family members as long as they were not speaking out against the "Truth" Even friends of those DF'ed were allowed some contact without repercussions.Naturally they quoted scriptures to back up this new light.

It is quite possible that article was written by Ray Franz. In 1981 the "Truth" reversed itself once again and the boots came out to the old way of stomping on people.

It became clear to me that they were just interpreting the bible to fit what ever they wanted to accomplish at any time.

The bible was a distant second to their religious agenda and having seen the light I left almost immediately in 1981,82

• JRK
    JRK

My big break was Googling Jehovah's Witnesses and finding out about the UN/NGO scandal.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

It was a combination of many things over many years. { one sentence}

• CovertsadJW
    CovertsadJW
    JW makes me awful and tries to run every part of everyone’s life- and it’s getting worse.
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

When in 1989 the Berlin Wall was coming down and the words peace and security were plastered all over every newspaper but none of the JWs gave a damn we knew they only believed what the GB told them, they weren't interested in reality.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Stumbling upon the ex-JW community online on my electronic device that I was supposed to be using for theocratic purposes.

Thank you WT! :)

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

The change in the blood transfusion rules to arbitrary rules between fractions and the "main" components of blood so, one group of components conscience matters or arbitrarily the other, shunning or death.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

The "exit door" thrown open for me, was when the domineering P.O. in my congregation stabbed me in the back at an elders' meeting for personal reasons, and the other elders kept their weasel mouths shut out of their fear of him. I was then "disciplined" by a young scapegoat elder.

The repercussions which followed my reporting them all to the C.O. - who didn't want involved - was proof that I was involved with an organization which was definitely not run by "God's people." Thanks to the P.O. thug.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

the Waco siege of early 1993 got me thinking much more, groups like the WTS, Mormons, Church of Scientology, Worldwide Church of God etc started to be mentioned far far more than before as being high control cults, it was being spelled out, TV shows, the news, radio, the printed press were awash with the siege,(well before the days of the internet) it started to make me research far more and question, I had also started to fade in the proceeding months, not because of any specific reason I just wasn't happy, my marriage was in trouble, things just weren't sitting right, the memorial of 1993 was the last time to set foot in my KH, the seeds had been planted!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit