American democracy in crisis

by slimboyfat 94 Replies latest social current

• Viviane
    Viviane

First, the United States is NOT a democracy, it is a representative republic.

Second, American politics is pretty cyclical. Ever four to five decades, things polarize, shift, break, a new normal appears and the cycle restarts. For reference, see the Whig, Tory and Bull Moose parties, Barry Goldwater, Donald Trump, the Democratic Convention of 1860.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

From the Washington Times posted by End of Mysteries.

Hillary Clinton on BlackLives Matter:

“Everyone in this country should stand firmly behind that,” she continued. “We need to acknowledge some hard truths about race and justice in this country, and one of those hard truths is that that racial inequality is not merely a symptom of economic inequality. Black people across America still experience racism every day.

I guess I agree with this. I will say I do not approve of the violence being perpetrated by some of the people in the Black LivesMatter movement, but I do believe there is racial injustice in this country and I understand the frustration of people who believe they are not treated as equals in this country.

While at times the issues may be exaggerated by members of the black community, to imagine that there is no issue is equally wrong. While I do not like Hillary Clinton, to imagine she is going to give carte Blanche to racial violence is ridiculous. She is no standard bearer for black lives matter, and there is nothing in her history or statements to indicate she is going to condone black racial violence.

Keep in mind she and her husband rake in big bucks in speaking fees from major corporations. Do you really imagine they would be interested in a candidate who will condone such anarchy? Get real.

There are a lot if reasons to dislike Hilary, black lives after isn't one of them.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    She is no standard bearer for black lives matter, and there is nothing in her history or statements to indicate she is going to condone black racial violence.

I never said she was going to outright condone it. The lies being perpetuaded, especially by the media and politicians are what is escalating it. BLM makes claims that are simply not true, one being that police systematically target them to kill them. When the president doesn't challenge that claim, but instead agrees there is a problem, then it adds fuel to the fire. So without her 'condoning' violence, her acknowledging and perpetuating what are lies and falsehoods if she is president will make it worse.

What do you believe are the racial injustices in this country that need to be addressed? Please link or list 'facts' to make sure they are true and not just feelings and if relates to economic problems that other races in the same situation have different treatment.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

In line with my last post, here are quotes from Obama, many times made almost immediately after a shooting before facts and investigations come in.....

“There’s a big chunk of our fellow citizenry that feels as if because the color of their skin they’re not being treated the same,” he added. “And that hurts. And that should trouble all of us."

“The data shows black folks are more vulnerable to these kinds of incidents."

So his comments make black people think the lie that police are targeting them is substantiated. That the government knows about it. So every time it happens they get even more inflamed. He even mentions data showing it. What data? More whites are killed than blacks. Is the data because they are black or because they disproportionately commit more crime? Or because of the anti police culture / no snitch culture / etc?

Hillary is proving to continue on as Obama. Which means this will increase. Trump won't make statements like that.

Look at Trumps statements about Milwaukee, he brings out how the riots are hurting 'law abiding' blacks. How it hurts their jobs, their homes, their neighborhoods are dangerous, etc. http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-slams-milwaukee-protests-appeals-black-voters-law/story?id=41439861

"The main victims of these riots are law-abiding African-American citizens living in these neighborhoods," said Trump, who's been struggling to attract black voters. "It's their job, it's their homes, it's their schools and communities which will suffer the most as a result. There is no compassion in tolerating lawless conduct for anyone. Crime and violence is an attack on the poor and will never be accepted in a Trump administration."

A president who states the facts and will try to fix that or one who goes on lies that white people and police are targeting them and fueling the flames based on a lie?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    What data? More whites are killed than blacks.

And now we know you don't know how math works.

A president who states the facts and will try to fix that or one who goes on lies that white people and police are targeting them and fueling the flames based on a lie?

Actually, the President said "treated differently". YOU said targeting them. Pro-tip, if you're going to make a pants on fire size lie, don't give us the evidence to catch you doing it in the same post your doing it in. You're Drumpf'ing your own arguments.

Also, learn how math works.

• Ruby456
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose
    So his comments make black people think the lie that police are targeting them is substantiated. That the government knows about it. So every time it happens they get even more inflamed.
    • I thought we were discussing Hilary, not Obama.Or is she responsible for his comments?
    • The Police are targeting blacks, see the Article Ruby posted on the DOJ investigation into the Baltimore Police Department. They are by no means the only department that adopted the kind of "stop and frisk" policies that temd to impact black people far more, whether that is the intent or not.

He even mentions data showing it. What data? More whites are killed than blacks. Is the data because they are black or because they disproportionately commit more crime? Or because of the anti police culture / no snitch culture / etc?

Of course more whites are killed than blacks, because statisticsly there are more white people than people. Duh.

White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers.

Of course that is just one statistic, and it doesn't tell you how many of those shootings were justified. The point is, the "stop and frisk" policies are creating the perception in the black communities that they are being targeted, so when an unarmed black person is shot, naturally they are going to feel it is not justified, no matter what the facts are. And there are unjustified shootings, there is no getting around that. For example the recent shooting of a man who was sitting in the ground with his hands on his head. Are these shootings being exaggerated by BLM? Perhaps, but there is a real problem at the heart of it and to pretend otherwise is ignoring reality.

But really, why are we focusing on BLM? This is an election thread, we have already beaten this subject (BLM) to death. Hilary isn't the standard bearer for BLM, nor is she responsible for statements by Obama. There us a lot to criticize about hilary, so its odd you would focus on that.

Which brings me to this question: Why isn't Trump focusing on Hilary's real issues? Sure he calls her "crooked Hilary", but that has been repeated so often it has lost all meaning. At a time when she is under fire for the email scandal he picks an unnecessary war with the gold star parents. This seems like a huge mistake in tactics. As a Trump supporter, doesn't that concern you? He is now losing in key battleground states, it's clear that his combative style is turning off voters, but he just reiterated that he has no intention of changing tactics. It appears to me that he has mismanaged the campaign, which makes me question his ability to manage the country.

Is he afraid to call her out for lying because he has such a hard time telling the truth himself? The Washington Post did an analysis and found he lies 78% of the time. He has gotten the Pinnocio award more times than any other person by far. That seems excessive even for a politician. I have stated previously that I have a hard time supporting Hilary because of integrity issues, are you at all concerned with Trumps lies? I am just curious.

• supernerdboy
    supernerdboy

"EOM, you are 'completely irrational'."

EOM had cogent points, I am now calling out your [Lisa's] blatant ad hominem!

Bold=Mine

(' ')Mine

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

The Police are targeting blacks, see the Article Ruby posted on the DOJ investigation into the Baltimore Police Department. They are by no means the only department that adopted the kind of "stop and frisk" policies that temd to impact black people far more, whether that is the intent or not.

The police are focusing their attention primarily on the profile that "offers" the most threat for street violence. And this profile is young black men. It's idiotic to think that the police should focus on everybody equally across the board, this would be completely disingenuous.

There is nothing sinister about the police focusing on the community that gives them the most trouble when it comes to street violence. There is nothing sinister about the FBI doing surveillance on mosques and muslim communities to uncover potential terrorists. There is nothing sinister about law enforcement doing surveillance on Italian social clubs to uncover potential mobsters.

The sooner we stop burying our heads in the sand and pretending these connections aren't real, and that there is no difference between groups of people, the closer we will get to solving these issues.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

“There’s a big chunk of our fellow citizenry that feels as if because the color of their skin they’re not being treated the same,” he added. “And that hurts. And that should trouble all of us."

Well this is true. They do feel this way. But the bigger issue is who has the power to change this?? And the answer is that only the black community can. Years upon years of continuous reports about robberies, shootings and street violence where the usual suspect seems to almost always be a young black male have taken a toll on people's minds. When an old lady gets nervous when two young black men knock on her door is not because she hates black people, it's simply because she is scared.

If for the next 20 years, we get to see daily reports about how young asian males are killing, robbing, shooting, and creating mayhem in their community, then this perception will exist for them too.

The rate of young black males that get killed per 100,000 people is as high as the rate of death for the US army when they deployed to Iraq. Now, Black lives matter has the platform that they can use to address this issue, but they ignore it, and focus on a comparatively insignificant issue of how the police kills a handful of black men in questionable circumstances, which is a completely obfuscation of a much bigger issue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit