I find it interesting that after the cult people still hold on to religion....

by BeaverEater 137 Replies latest jw friends

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Semantics Fishy.

No it is not. For the reasons I’ve posted which contradict and falsify your personal definition.
  • lriddle80
    lriddle80

I did defend my faith! I was at church so I didn't respond right away!

I was thinking about this debate and the tsunami some more. What about when God destroyed everyone (except Noah and his family) in the flood? What about when God had the Israelites destroy the Canaanites, Amorites, etc? What about when he destroyed all those Egyptians in the Red Sea? What about when God destroyed everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah? You knew about all those stories when you made a profession of faith and got born again. But this tsunami put it over the edge for some reason. Yes, God will destroy people as he sees fit. He made us, it's his prerogative. He didn't have to sacrifice himself to save mankind either. So, I don't know, this is the God that is. I see love, but I did fear him and that's why I am putting my faith in his son Jesus because the alternative is scary (to me!)

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

The story that got me was the wheat and tares. The wheat were the real Christians and the tares looked just like wheat but there was no life in them and they were burned in the fire. I wanted to be wheat!

The 2nd thing was the forgiveness that Christ offered. I had hurt a lot of people and paid no regard for the sacrifice Jesus made. And he was offering me forgiveness when I didn't deserve it! I was determined to do better in life and make him proud of me!

Years go by and I am trying to earn my salvation by performance because I grew up as a JW.

About 5 years ago I had been invited to the memorial by my mom and I started thinking about whether Jesus was created or God and I felt like I was spinning in darkness! Then, it occurred to me that I didn't have to know anything but that Jesus would save me if I asked him! So I bowed my knee!

Then I confessed Jesus as God because I knew in my heart that was true and I had denied it for far too long!

I heard the old hymn Rock of Ages and it said Should my zeal no respite know, should my tears forever flow. These for sin could not atone, thou must save and thou alone! And I realized I had been trying to earn it and trying to emotionally manipulate God with my tears. Jesus was enough and nothing I could do would save me! It freed me!

I felt new and had a different boldness!

I believed that Jesus loved me and that love is what carries me! Not the fear of the wheat and tares. But the fear of God is what caused me to come to him initially. The love of God keeps me coming back for more! And since the Holy Spirit dwells in me, I am sealed in him until his return! He set me free and now I only know his love!

So, that's an answer.

• cofty
    cofty

Your god annihilated a quarter of a million men women and children in instant. Many of them were genuine Christians. He injured millions more and destroyed the homes and incomes of many millions. He could have prevented the tsunami without any effort. That would have been love.

He chose carnage and immeasurable grief.

Jesus explained what love means. So did Paul. Your god is the opposite of love.

Reality proves that your god does not exist.

• cofty
    cofty
    So, that's an answer

No that's a personal testimony about your feelings. I want relevant facts and data.

The difference between god destroying Sodom and Gomorrah and the random drowning of a quarter of a million people - many of whom were Christians that Jesus said were known by and loved by god - should be obvious.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

GOD says who he is:

The Lord passed before him and proclaimed, “The Lord, the Lord, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, 7 keeping steadfast love for thousands,[a] forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, but who will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children and the children's children, to the third and the fourth generation.”

He allowed the only innocent person who existed to be murdered in order to save guilty mankind!

Repent or you likewise will perish is the message!

In the movie The Impossible Fod saved and reunited a whole family of Christians. Just like in the flood. And probably a lot of stories of people praising God for saving them from the tsunami. Maybe he was judging those people! He's God, can't he do what is in his within his character?

The evidence of my testimony is a transformed life!

We could go back and forth all day and if you'd like to, let's go! I just have to cook dinner at 4 so I have about an hour to keep going and then we can carry this into the week, I have time!

• cofty
    cofty

Are you familiar with Euthyphro's Dilemma?

I'm off to enjoy an Indian meal. Let's resume with that when you have time. Enjoy your evening.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I would like to be on the side of a God that is invincible and neutralizes all of my enemies and brings me relief from anything bugging me. If cofty believes that ain’t loving or right, too bad and bring such people to live with him.

• cofty
    cofty
    I would like to be on the side of a God that is invincible and neutralizes all of my enemies and brings me relief from anything bugging me.

Fishy you sound like you worship a cosmic vending machine for the benefits it brings you.

Your god also murders countless thousands of his own faithful children on a whim.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Fishy you sound like you worship a cosmic vending machine for the benefits it brings you.

Non-sequitur. For example, in Revelation 4:10 the 144k throw their crowns of everlasting life at God’s feet.

My heart does go out to your pains, however. You don’t sound like those guys who’s conduct is like vermin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit