Inky got a letter from her son.............you have to read this

by Mulan 128 Replies latest jw experiences

• marsal
    marsal

I am so sorry, Inky.

That letter is so heartbreaking. I can't even imagine your pain.

You're in my prayers.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Swan,

You show a loving and forgiving spirit, which is commendable, but I strongly believe the man should be made responsible for his actions. His bad behavior should not be covered up and Inky should definitely not take the heat from people who will assume she's the bad one for not attending his wedding.

Crap like this should be held up to the cold light of day for all to see. Not just for Inky and her future daughter-in-law's sake, but for all those who may think twice about this sort of behavior.

He wrote this. If he's ashamed for it to be seen by others, then he shouldn't have written it, because he knows it's wrong. If he really feels he's done the right thing, he should not be afraid for his future wife and in-laws to read what he wrote. And he should make **** sure that everyone at that wedding knows he told his mother she was not welcome. If he's willing to do it, he should be willing for it to be known.

• Princess
    Princess

I can see your point Tammy but I have to disagree. I think his fiancee needs to know what she is getting into. He has kept her away from his mother during the entire courtship. Irene saw both of them once and he didn't introduce her. I'm sure he has told her lies about his mom, otherwise, she'd want to get to know her. His father was abusive and I worry he is going to repeat history with his new "mild" and "industrius" wife. Her father is not a witness. Shouldn't he be allowed to read the letter his son-in-law wrote to his mother regarding his wedding? He is also a non-believer. What's to stop the son from cutting his wife off from her father?

I guess I just don't see it as retaliation. I see it as doing what my conscience dictates before a tragedy occurs that could have been avoided. Maybe it's a match made in heaven, but what if it isn't?

• rocketman
    rocketman
    Also, even if the elders are shown the letter, they will not be upset. That is what a good jw is supposed to do, make the offender feel so bad they will want to come back. They think shunning makes you miss them so much, you will beg to be let back in. Makes me want to run farther and faster

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see this letter, or some adaptation of it, in the KM someday.

• happyout
    happyout

Even though I am crying, I can't imagine the pain this must have caused you. Please take comfort in the hope that one day he will come to his senses, and spend the rest of his life making it up to you for this hateful display of mind control.

I'm so sorry.

(((((((((( INKY )))))))))))))))

Happyout

• JeffT
    JeffT

(((((Inky)))))

This letter is unbelievable. I cannot imagine a son letting a stupid cult twist is mind like this. You are in my prayers, I hope your pain can some how be healed.

Princess: you said you wanted to go just to piss him off. Maybe we need to organize a little apostofest across the street from the KH. Some big banners with "The Watcthower does to break up families."

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I am with Swan on the issue of retaliation.

It can be extremely catharctic to talk about and think about but I think acting on it will badly backfire.

We know how they think. He will be praised for taking such a stand.

They will not see the lack of love only the sour grapes and the lack of love on the part of any who retaliate. They will wonder how any mother could turn her back on God and her son and ruin his day by having the gaul to show up. Remember there is no natural affection and they will hold to that.

Even if he on some level regrets his words he will have to stand by them once they become known to others. He would lose face if he withdrew them and tried to stay loyal to the org.

Contacting the fiancee might work better but that too could backfire. From previous posts I believe none in the family who post here have met her although you seem to know the family.

Just my 2 cents

• rocky220
    rocky220

Honor thy father and thy mother......[gee, I didn't see any small print under that stating exceptions due to change in religious status]

my 2cents.rocky220

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Princess,

We're in complete agreement. At a minimum, I think her dad needs to know to keep an eye on this guy and be ready to protect and support his daughter.

• Swan
    Swan

Princess,

Of course, you know the situation better than anybody, Princess, since you are a member of the family, so do what your family and your conscience thinks is best. You have grown up with this person (a cousin, if I understand it correctly) and know his attitude and that of his father better. I was just offering my perspective as one not being as close to the situation. Perhaps retaliation was too strong a word. As hurtful as this letter was, I just wanted to caution your family not to let the pain motivate you folks to do something rash you will later regret.

Just be sure. Vent here all you want, but just be sure before you actually do anything.

Consider also that doing nothing is an appropriate response. By choosing to do nothing, your family is sending him the message that his attack is not worthy of a response. Not showing up in itself might ruin his "special" day. He may think about it more if nobody shows up. If somebody does show up, he is justified in his own mind. If nobody shows up, he may dwell on why. Again, I don't know him and you do, so do what you think is best. I just wanted to be sure you considered all your options.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit