Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Status Update Thread

by Simon 656 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In the U K we have had 21000 deaths and hundreds added every day. The numbers are a little les lately but nobody pretends the figures are complete.

True, we cannot stay in lockdown forever ,but when to ease things? That is a judgement call that I am glad I do not have to make.

When one hears of the death of people that we know on this board, and the infection of others, it brings it all home to you. A good friend of our locally has it too, we hope for the best .

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Here in the U.K the real death toll has been calculated as in excess of 40,000 (see the F.T) . The problem this terrible Government have, is that if they ease our partial and largely ineffective Lock Down, they will be held responsible for the subsequent deaths, which probably are more attributable to their previous total cock up in dealing with this from the start, but they don't wish to shoulder responsibility for any of it.

They will probably ease it slowly, whilst urging " Social Distancing" in the vaguest of terms, and then blame the Public when it all goes Tits Up.

The Tory supporting rabid Right Wing amongst us will still try to convince us they have " done the best in the circumstances", which is arrant nonsense.

• cofty
    cofty
    Phizzy why do you feel the need to denigrate people who don't share your perspective?
  • Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I think leaders around the world are finally accepting that they can't stop this. Flattening the curve is about not overloading the hospitals, but now thousands of hospitals are in dire financial trouble because the cure is worse than the disease.

Canada, Europe, US, all government and public institutions are going to have severe austerity measures, which means hospitals are going to shut down. I heard systems (Toronto, Ottawa, US, Belgium, Germany, France, UK ...) are making plans to lay off or furlough thousands of nurses and doctors. There is no cure, eventually people will get it.

Thank you China. You're about to have thousands of military-aged men without jobs and nothing to lose. There will be war.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Can we finally put the “it’s like the flu” nonsense to rest?
    We’ve had people on this forum contract the virus and die, the prime minister of the UK in intensive care, members of the government in Italy, Iran, and elsewhere seriously ill. I don’t know anyone personally who has died, but through other people: one person in my dad’s work died, another in my mum’s workplace, someone at the post office, one relation of my cousin, and a family member of someone in a Glasgow church.
    I don’t remember hearing of anyone dying of the flu ever. I understand it does happen every year, mainly with very old people, but clearly this virus is on a completely different scale. Not to mention growing worries about long term health impacts on those who survive the disease, that we may need to live with as a society for years to come.
    I absolutely agree with people who say China has got questions to answer, even reparations may be in order. Everything I hear tends to support the idea that this virus escaped from a laboratory. In either case the Chinese authorities were criminally negligent,
    We also need to hold our own governments to account. The fact this started in China doesn’t absolve our own governments of responsibility for their failure to prepare and poor response to the crisis.
    As for Trump? I did catch the bit of him talk about injecting bleach and blasting UV rays through the body, then him claiming it was sarcasm the next day. He’s not exactly making it easy for his defenders, is he?
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Just because governments ease their restrictions and lift stay-at-home orders, DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO GO OUT! If you feel you are especially at risk, stay at home. Be safe!

COVID19 is a Pandora's Box. It's open. It's out. There will always be bugs.

• millie210
    millie210

As for Trump? I did catch the bit of him talk about injecting bleach and blasting UV rays through the body, then him claiming it was sarcasm the next day. He’s not exactly making it easy for his defenders, is he?

Just a point to ponder...any of us who are on city water are drinking and bathing in small amounts of bleach everyday. Bleach is not the issue. It s selling papers and driving people to the headlines that is the issue.

• Simon
    Simon

Fake news. He never said to inject bleach. The media have been removing mention of the real thing, that involves inserting UV light to fight infection by providing immediate and instant disinfectant.

It's a repeat of the "fine people" hoax.

• LauraV
    LauraV

After he mentions the UV light, he mentions the "disinfectant" that knocks it out in a minute and is there a way we can do that by injection. Just watched the clip from April 24 to make sure what his exact wording is.

So no, you are right, he did not say beach, he said disinfectant, but still he mentions injecting that into the body, so it is not a hoax.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

There is a big difference between, "Is there..." and "There is..." I do not like Trump, but he did say, "IS there..." not, "There IS..." The finer points of sarcasm directed at Birx, who sat with a constipated look on her face, has been lost on most people. As Simon brought out above, this is just a repeat of the 'fine people' hoax using a different set of words.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit