Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Status Update Thread

by Simon 656 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty
    U.K today has 4,000 new cases and 4,000 new deaths!

No it's 765 new deaths. For the first time this includes deaths in care homes. Today's number might be inflated as it includes death registrations from more than 24 hours.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Our news service and the official website says 4,000

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

They just added non hospital deaths to there daily numbers so 4.076 infected and 4,419 new deaths.

• cofty
  • cofty
    cofty

Please provide a link.

The figure of 765 INCLUDES all deaths whether in hospitals, care homes or in the community.

• cofty
    cofty

Witness - The UK has today made a change to the way it records deaths outside of hospital. Previously it depended on having a positive test result. Now they are including cases that had covid symptoms.

As a result the running total may have increased today but the daily death total trend continues to decrease.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Ok sorry today they added 3,800 deaths not in hospitals from the BEGINING of the virus...seems odd the fudged the figures till now like that not very accurate. U.K now is 2nd highest in deaths in Europe.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

In its time, the Spanish influenza pandemic saw some bizarre "cures" being attempted - which is understandable, given that medical science of 100 years ago was nowhere near advanced as it is now.

Perhaps, though, the most bizarre one of the lot was often recounted by my gandparents, who lived on the adjacent property to where this incident took place. A local farmer decided that the best preventative to catching the flu was to take a swim through the sheep dip, which he proceeded to do - and I never thought to ask the grandparents if the guy subsequently caught the flu or not!

Others maintained that smoking was a good preventative measure (imagine!)

Some doctors, out of desparation,resorted to the use of such toxins as strychnine and digitalis. Self medication resulted in widespread cases of asprin poisoning, with the commonly held (though mistaken belief) that "if two are good, then four are even better" type of approach being tried.

Two decades into the 21st Century, though, it is rather unbelievable that somebody should even have to ask if internal use of disinfectants was a possible treatment for COVID-19.

• caves
    caves

I can imagine.

I was at a cabin in the mountains in 2006 and the outhouse had stacks and stacks of old National geographic magazines. One of the ads was from Camel cigarettes. It claimed that smoking Camels gives you vitamin C. It was dated 1964.

I don't think enough is being done in the arena of 'science and medicine' versus the population growth in the last 60 years.

I do think this pandemic will change that. If anything, its clear that the system is very wobbly at best in regards infectious diseases and cures. I have high hopes that after this economic hit globally, that it will probably be a top priority from now on. At least I hope so.

• Simon
    Simon

Well funnily enough, the French have been trialling Nicotine patches as a treatment - something todo with ACE inhibitor effect. Apparently smokers do better with Covid than non-smokers, imagine that!

The news that British American Tobacco had a treatment now makes more sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit