Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Status Update Thread

by Simon 656 Replies latest jw friends

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Found these stats interesting from NY. Somehow most new cases are people that were actually sheltering at home. WTF?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/ny-gov-cuomo-says-its-shocking-most-new-coronavirus-hospitalizations-are-people-staying-home.html?__source=twitter%7Cmain

• Simon
    Simon

More software developer comments on the modelling software. It's hard to get across how ridiculously shit it is, and yet we're ruining our economies and locking millions of people at home based on it.

I want to see some public floggings.

https://github.com/mrc-ide/covid-sim/issues/165

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Found these stats interesting from NY. Somehow most new cases are people that were actually sheltering at home.

dubstepped ...

Maybe it's like once being a virgin. It doesn't make any difference if you later get "affected" if you are in your house or somewhere else.

Rub a Dub (ver. 2.1 beta)

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

There are almost no single family dwellings in NYC. I suspect the virus has contaminated entire apartment buildings. People who stayed at home in their apartment or flat on the 10th floor have been exposed to every COVID positive person in their building.

• LV101
    LV101

I AGREE, Simon - the keyboard charlatan and his lover - a big green activist shut down the world with crazy modeling. I'm not undermining the COVID 19 for the elderly but this is crazy. I don't know about the children being infected -- very alarming,

• hoser
    hoser

This virus kills people. I knew some who have died from it. All of them had underlying health conditions or old age against them.

The government’s reaction to this crisis plays well into the left/green agenda.

The leftist media has told us for the last 10 years that air travel, meat and oil are all bad and that we can/should all work from home. It looks like they were able to achieve their agenda.

I forgot to add basic minimum income. Looks like we’re getting that as well

• Realbavman
    Realbavman
    These models are ridiculous. Yet, states are making decisions based on them. It's time to allow counties and individuals to decide when things can open up. Based on what they see on the ground in their area. More local decision making please.
  • Simon
    Simon

Some interesting developments, that seem related.

I read one article that research hospitals in the UK have identified correlation between T-cells and the seriousness of the Covid infection. People with low T-cell count were hit hardest and may indicate that drugs which boost those could provide treatment or earlier detection or identification of the most vulnerable may be possible by looking for a drop or low count.

Also related is a paper that some people may already have natural immunity or at least be able to fight it off without just mild symptoms because they have already had exposure to some other Coronavirus' that has boosted their natural T-cell response.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Dr Osterholm says this pandemic is still only in the early stages. The best evidence is that between 5% to 15% (at best) of people in the US/Europe have caught the virus so far. That means the worst is still to come. It can play out in various ways, none of which are good, but the worst we should prepare for, an entirely likely scenario, is a second wave which is worse than the first.

Personally I think the lockdown/open up debate is totally bogus. If the UK were to implement public masks, test, trace, and isolate, like New Zealand and South Korea, then we could get out of this lockdown pretty soon, and achieve an approximation of normal functioning society. Ending lockdown without those measures already in place is complete madness however. The length of the lockdown is not the issue, preparedness to suppress the virus is the issue. If our government ends lockdown without good suppression measures in place then we will be back to square one in a few weeks time. Which seems like what they intend to do because they are incompetent and apparently completely incapable of learning lessons from successful strategies of other countries.

https://youtu.be/S2B94sn2qyg

• cofty
    cofty

Welcome back Mr Doom & Gloom

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit