Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Status Update Thread

by Simon 656 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3078840/coronavirus-low-antibody-levels-raise-questions-about

Early results indicate some who recover from Covid-19 are not immune to the virus “with implications for vaccine development and herd immunity”.

This is awful news. What on Earth do we do now?

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

This is awful news. What on Earth do we do now?

We could go to a dark room, curl up in a little ball, and whimper like a child with a soiled diaper waiting for someone to do something for us, which is what it seems that many people do; or as I choose to do...live my life as normally as possible and enjoy each day, while taking reasonable precautions for my health and those around me.

• cofty
    cofty
    This is awful news. What on Earth do we do now? - SBF

You sound like great aunt Maud clutching her pearls and swooning onto the chez lounge.

Man up FFS!

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Road To Nowhere same here. Parents did not believe in it due to cult thinking. Still Totally ADD

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Add me to the list whose parents let JF Rutherfraud make their medical decisions so no vax for me! I ended up with severe cases of measles, mumps, whooping cough, you name it. Thankfully, public school would not admit me without polio vaccine or I might have gotten THAT too.

Just to mention another aspect of WTBT$ hypocrisy: In the late 1940s and early 1950s, my parents flew with Knorr and F Franz and Grant Suiter, ett all, to several European countries for international conventions. They couldn't get their passports without receiving ALL the required immunizations, some of which had questionable blood sources. Don't ask, don't tell was fine for THEM!

• cofty
    cofty

Boris Johnson is out of ICU and back on a normal ward.

• Dagney
    Dagney

waves to 3rdgen! Been thinking about you!

I was raised also without vaccines. Chiropractor JW was my "physician." I had asthma, the bad measles, mumps, and chicken pox as an adult. No polio thank goodness.

My first vaccine was small pox when we went to Central America as need greaters. Of course we got the shots then!

I understand caution, and respect science, especially today.

On another note, I am grateful to California Governor Newsom who was first to implement the safer at home. The numbers reflect this action. I'm still working, but go straight home after work. The recommendation is to not go out to the markets or whatever unless you absolutely need to, for two weeks. Certain cities are requiring face coverings in public, or be refused service. We're okay with it. We want to stop the spread.

May all stay safe and well.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Nobody can live as normal in the UK at the moment. The stay at home rule is to protect, and out of consideration for everybody else, not yourself.
    And it’s not really what I was referring to anyway. I wasn’t asking what we should do now as individuals. What we should do while the stay at home rule is in place is clear: stay at home.
    What I’m talking about is what kind of exit plan are we going to make as a society? If a percentage of people who catch the virus don’t remain immune to reinfection for any length of time then it complicates our exit strategy to put it mildly. Initial indications are that young and healthy people are prone to reinfection and that they get more seriously ill the second time round. If this turns out to be the case then it is a disaster in terms of trying to get things back to normal and the economy going again. Because the very people who might have hoped to emerge first (those who already had the virus, and young and healthy people) may in fact be at risk. Plus it may mean a vaccine is much more complicated to produce, and may only work for limited periods, if one can be made.
    So what do we do?
    Maybe we all need to wear masks, social distance, test regularly, and isolate infected people, as they do in South Korea. It would involve huge adjustments in how we live our lives, even when we go back to “normal”.
    Or is there any hope that a new technology (nanotechnology, or something) that seek out and can destroy the virus. Or a drug therapy so effective that infection causes no risk? Maybe scientist can come up with something in the absence of either effective natural or vaccine immunity in the population.
    It’s a worst case scenario, and hopefully long term immunity to the virus is possible. But given the possibility this might not be the case it’s prudent to begin considering other options now.
  • 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Hey Dagney! Been thinking about you too. In my neck of the woods, Shasta county, CA (population 180,000) we have 24 confirmed cases, 4 deaths, and close to half have recovered. People here seem to be respecting the stay at home orders as well as wearing masks and gloves while shopping.

I have only left the house 3 times since late Feb. Hubby has multiple risk factors so he has been home the whole time. Good thing we are such good friends or else we would have killed each other by now.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Dagney I find your story eerily the same thing I went through even having my first shot as a small pox shot because I was going to central America to work where the need was great. Very strange how the cult influenced our lives. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit