Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Status Update Thread

by Simon 656 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Mounting evidence suggests that patients who survive the virus sustain lasting damage to various organs including lungs, heart, and liver, among other chronic problems.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-04-10/coronavirus-infection-can-do-lasting-damage-to-the-heart-liver

The bright idea of the UK government to allow a controlled spread of the virus in the population to build “herd immunity” looks increasingly disastrous. We should have followed South Korea, Singapore, and Hong Kong in testing, tracing, and routing out the virus. We will need to do this eventually, but we lost valuable time pursuing what must be the most dangerous and irresponsible health strategy of modern times.

• caves
    caves

Slimboyfat- There is some evidence, but its really to soon to tell in the long run.

For instance, if I get pneumonia like I used to get over and over again, I could very well have lasting lung damage, like I do now. I have two nodules in my lungs from years of what seemed never ending pneumonia. They are the same as they were 10 years ago as they are now. But, If the doctor was to, or when they have ex-rayed my lungs right after a bout of pneumonia they have shown that those nodules or scar tissue being inflamed for months, giving a false reading.Then they go back to the way they were.

I've gone thru it enough to not let them ex-ray me for a few months so they do not scare the crap out of me having multiple test over the next months after, only for them to see that they got a bit to 'gung ho' with tests to soon. That's is my case.

I'm not saying it wont have lasting effects. I'm saying that to really get a clear picture of "lasting damage" will take some years to come to a conclusion on lasting damage to healthy individuals vs lasting damage to individuals who had underlying health problems to begin with.

Those are my thoughts. I just don't see how they can conclude this with certainty yet.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Of course it’s early days and we don’t know what, if any, chronic illness results from the disease. This is exactly why it is highly irresponsible for the UK government to pursue a policy of controlled spread of the virus in the population to build herd immunity, without knowing what the long term health effects will be. The policy should be to reduce the spread of the virus to an absolute minimum, as they have succeeded in doing in South Korea. The burden of proof is on those who promote the insane idea of a controlled spread of the virus to explain how they can be so confident the virus won’t inflict significant long term harm on survivors as the SARS and MERS coronaviruses do.

• LV101
    LV101

LHG - Forgot my fave and it's one of the best soaps I've found (seems to be out of stock these days because it says 'Hand Soap' on the front) is the Dawn Ultra Antibacterial Hand Soap (the Green Apple one). Some use it for dishwashing liquid soap (not in dishwasher, of course). It's the best in my opinion but I always keep good ole Dial around - antibacterial types, only.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

The virus, which apparently is not alive, is covered with a thin layer of fat. The best way to deal with the virus on your hands is to wash with hot soapy water. The heat melts the fat and the soap eliminates the threat....according to a study reported by John Hopkins University.

• LV101
    LV101

Makes sense - nothing better than soap and in this case "hot" soapy water. Interesting re/the virus covered with layer of fat. So weird. I always wash with soap and then feel if the hand sanitizer is on my hands shortly thereafter it protects me - at least it helps add something 'softening' (the aloe vera/Vitamin E/whatever). I'm trying to omit the hand sanitizer part and just slather lotion.

Thx for virus info. I've not heard that but haven't even watched news updates past couple days - I'm so behind and would love to be bored for a day and forget about COVID 19 - wouldn't we all!

• cofty
    cofty
    We should have followed South Korea, Singapore, and Hong Kong in testing, tracing, and routing out the virus

It was never an option as I have explained multiple times.

Testing is how we will get out of it long before a vaccine is ready but herd immunity is just a fact.

Countries that shut down very early and very thoroughly probably still have all their pain ahead of them.

• Simon
    Simon
    Those are two of the most significant in my mind. First of all when you are in NY, just to get to the sidewalk you are likely touching knobs, stairways rails, elevator buttons and the like. Not to mention people crammed in elevators breathing on each other.

I read something about Italy and Spain, the hardest hit countries in Europe, also have large numbers of elevators. Same as NY as well. I remember elevators being a major vector for spread with SARS with people pressing the same button.

No one knows yet which policy will be the best, but given that it may 'cause long-term health damage and no one is guaranteed to be safe until there is a vaccine, it seems like avoiding as many people catching it as possible is wisest and it also avoids strain in health-care systems ... although they really don't appear to be under much strain - many are less busy than usual and nurses have time to do dance routines for social media posts. In fact, the few times I've been in hospitals they have never looked busy - it's always lots of people sat around chatting, never like the TV shows.

• LV101
    LV101

I certainly fear the herd immunity transition and can't imagine how people can be couped up and maintain proper distance, wear protective masks, gloves, etc. Oh my. Vaccine time-miracle is critical.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005
    Countries that shut down very early and very thoroughly probably still have all their pain ahead of them.

Interesting, Cofty. Are you saying that such countries are merely postponing the inevitable?

Any data on that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit