GB Update #2, March 2024: Women allowed to wear pants, no ties/coats required if not giving a talk, & now able to greet DF ones in the KH!

by WingCommander 194 Replies latest jw friends

• Gorb
    Gorb

Asking what the 4 generation before me in the family line would think about these changes:

- non jw believers will survive Armageddon (wow!)

- field service not requierd (do something and cross the box)

- beards (this said something about someone spiritual growth)

- no jacket and tie (no respect for regulations!)

- sisters in trousers (who is the boss?!?)

- say hallo to DF persons (wwhat???)

This would be enough to DF the GB in their opinion.

G.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo
    and it is properly explained then I doubt that is enough of a change to reverse the decision in Norway.

I think it will because legally they are not 100% shunned and the minor who is baptised no longer has a JC. It's all about the legality of it nothing to do with common sense or practicality.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

As I read it a JC is not convened at first, but the final paragraph states that if the minor is unrepentant then he must be “removed from the congregation”. Whether that implies a JC at that later stage or not, the outcome is the same.

Arguably no one was already 100% shunned because elders spoke to disfellowshipped people and family were allowed necessary contact. So 100% shunning was never a thing anyway, and the current shift in the policy appears marginal. Maybe it will be further loosened, but as explained in the recent broadcast and letter it only amounts to greetings at the meetings.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.
    the actual changes to a DF person is small.

I've been disfellowshipped.

Walking into a strange hall were no one spoke to me at all for over 12 months to try and get reinstated was a huge emotional battle at every single meeting I attended.

People being able to acknowledge/say a warm greeting to me would have made a massive difference to me back then...

(Of course I can only speak for myself on this.)

• jehovaxx
    jehovaxx

It’s all seems a light touch approach. Every effort will be made for someone to not be DF’ed. if they say sorry that is enough.

In the unusual case where worst case scenario someone is DFed it’s only for 90days and if they go to meetings everyone will still greet them anyway.

I suspect they wouldn’t need to go to meetings much if at all and have a rest from it during that 90days anyway.

The direction just basically says beg them to agree to be reinstated after the 90 days nothing about going to meetings during that 90days

the DF’ed person doesn’t even need to submit a written request - the elders chase after him/her after only 3 months and, it sounds like, in only the rarest of occasions would extend the DF period for longer.
  • Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    So 100% shunning was never a thing anyway, and the current shift in the policy appears marginal

In practice it was already on the way out. I know people who often had contact with DFed ones and elders rarely did anything other than provide counsel if that. It was a selectively enforced rule, seemingly reserved for heinous offenders.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

In my opinion the age of baptism should be raised to the legal age required for entering a contract, which I think is 18 in most US States.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    jehovaxx - “…In the unusual case where worst case scenario someone is DFed it’s only for 90days and if they go to meetings everyone will still greet them anyway…”

Cribbing a page from the Amish playbook, now, it would seem.

😏

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas - “…In practice it was already on the way out. I know people who often had contact with DFed ones and elders rarely did anything other than provide counsel if that. It was a selectively enforced rule, seemingly reserved for heinous offenders.”

I’m actually inclined to agree.

Back in the Jaraczic Period, the prospect of being DFed was scary AF, for almost everyone… folks in JCs practically begged not to be.

These days, though?

Not so much.

The threat just doesn’t seem to carry the weight it used to.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    JeffT - “I think a good analog for the collapse of the Watchtower is the fall of the World Wide Church of God…”

Oh, hell, yes.

And I guarantee you the Org was watching and taking notes, and it absolutely informed their decision-making process.

It would’ve been weird if that hadn’t been the case.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit