Serious Question: Are You Hearing About Anyone With The Flu Anymore or A Cold?

by minimus 135 Replies latest jw friends

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Vidqun:

So a mask and isolation prevent flu but not COVID.
    Proper isolation would prevent both (obviously), unless some idiot breaches regulations/recommendations and introduces infection into shared living spaces.
    And the chinstraps, I mean masks some use, do not prevent anything. But that's your opinion and that's good.

When did I say masks prevent getting infected? It’s like you people live in a fantasy land, just making up other people’s opinions in your own minds.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun
    A virus that is more infectious than the regular flu is transmitted more than the regular flu, and measures intended to reduce spread of the more infectious virus also help reduce infection of the other virus.

What measures are you here referring to? Might one be the wearing of masks?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Vidqun:

What measures are you here referring to? Might one be the wearing of masks?
    Masks have shown to be somewhat effective at reducing a wearer who is already infected from infecting others, but are not as effective at preventing an uninfected wearer from getting infected. It should be somewhat obvious that something covering the nose and mouth might make at least some difference, but people generally end up touching their mouth/nose/eyes, and then touch other surfaces, circumventing the benefit of the mask. (And though I’ve said clearly here that masks aren’t so good at preventing infection, some moron will probably say something to the effect of “He said the word ‘masks’! I knew he meant masks.”)

But isolation is the best measure. Basic hygiene doesn’t hurt either.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    TDLet's not put people into boxes.
    I'm an old school conservative who has made a hobby out of the history and interpretation of the Second Amendment
    I've also worked in a supervisory position at a med-lab and am appalled by some of the things that get said on this forum.

I've always thought you were probably one of the smartest people on this forum.

You've just confirmed my viewpoint.👏👏👏

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

And another gutless dislike on a post containing completely factual information. 😒 Some people on this forum are just pathetic. What do they think they’re achieving? 😂

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@Jeffro: If you stopped reading only what conforms to your viewpoint. It's not Florida bringing down the average. Things don't average out like you think, you should learn some statistics.

I quoted stats from NYC that shows the same if not worse averages, one of the most left-wing cities in one of the most left-wing states in the world. NYC had Republican support at 18.2 percent in 2016 to 22.6 percent in 2020. Even if you contend that ALL Trump voters refuse to vaccinate, you still have to account for a nearly equal amount of "others" that refuse to vaccinate.

87% of blacks voted for Biden/Democrats. Even if all Black Republicans refuse the vaccine, that still leaves MORE Black Democrats refusing the vaccine than Republicans.

And what are the true stats of vaccinations broken down by political party and by state: less than 10% difference. 50.4% of NY was partially vaccinated in May 44.3% of Florida was partially vaccinated at the same time, polls show indeed that Republicans are less likely to vaccinate, but that difference is often within a few percentage points of Democrats.

I don't know what else to say to you: the refusal of vaccination is not a partisan issue, it's a self-preservation issue. It's a trust issue.

Recent polls say 80% of unvaccinated Americans probably or definitely will not get the shot

This is the primary reason: Fauci has flip flopped and lied repeatedly, he even admitted to lying and misleading the public at the beginning of the pandemic. He has in the last week flip flopped several times in different interviews on whether mask mandates are necessary for those vaccinated. Now they're going to reinstate the mask mandates for everyone.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

When did I say anything about ‘Trump voters refusing to vaccinate’? It is you who keeps categorically claiming that ‘red states have better outcomes than blue states’. I’ve said repeatedly that infection rates relate to factors other than political affiliation (such as, but not limited to, population density). Why do you continue to misrepresent what others have said? Maybe get off your tedious repetitive soapbox about New York and pay attention to what people actually say.

And just keep ignoring Maine (oldest average age in the country and nearly the lowest rates of infections and deaths) because the stats contradict your opinion.

• minimus
    minimus

Yawn

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Anony Mous said,

''The vaccine adverse effects database currently says 10,000 have died from the vaccine'' (My bold)

That is implying, would you agree, that the vaccine has killed 10,000 people.

Could you link to the exact place in the 'vaccine adverse effects database' that says that?

Thanks in advance.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed
    The fact is that people who remained isolated got it. The majority of those however, are poor or elderly, live in apartment buildings or other shared housing complexes where air supplies are shared. Hence the Lancet indicating the virus can be found in air ducts where the only pathway is through the air.

I'm poor. I've been poor most of my life. I have lived in those types of communities all my life. I have to say that elderly people are likely to come into contact with people even if they do isolate because they are more likely to need assistance. They might have their food delivered or have someone who 'helps out' and they have to go to the doctor more frequently than the average person. This means traveling, and going into buildings, and other average activities that would bring them into contact with other people. I've been working as a customer care rep for a state unemployment agency during the pandemic and I guarantee to you that those people who 'isolated' did not consider the people delivering their food, or the family members who stopped by to help them but didn't live with them to be outside of their 'isolation'. At least two thirds of them would have assumed that those people were included as part of their isolation. I've had those conversations with elderly people and they assume that anyone asking feels the same way they do and defines isolation the same way that they do... meaning isolating from everyone who isn't necessary in their lives... not isolating from anyone who could bring them into contact with the virus.

As to poor people.... they are less likely to have groceries and other items delivered because they can't afford that. That means going to the store or the food bank when they need things and that means coming into contact with people who could spread the virus.

I've lived in the types of low economy housing you mention, and those places rarely have good air systems. I have no idea if COVID can or cannot get into air ducts, but I do know that low income housing often has air ducts that don't work properly.... either putting out too much air or not enough.

So... even people isolating could come into contact with the virus in very normal ways. We don't know the specifics of anyone's situation. Offering up anecdotes means nothing. But even giving specifics as has been offered... doesn't go into the detail and fully explain any situations. The reality is... we don't know. We don't know how much the virus spreads when people are in isolation because very few people actually have the ability to fully isolate themselves. We also don't know what the realities of the spread are because the virus hasn't behaved in the ways we are accustomed to.

I spent the first year of the pandemic with little change in my life. I had an essential job that did not bring me into any more contact with people than it had before. I worked at a medical lab, but it was a clean lab that didn't test anything that could infect anyone. Like I said before, I'm poor. So I continued to go to the grocery store, I continued to ride the bus, and I continued to work. I had been wearing a mask for 10 years prior to the pandemic so that wasn't anything new either. And I didn't get the virus during that entire time. Then for the next year I moved and lived with family. I self-quarantined (more so because my brother had cancer and I didn't want to infect him with anything), I have all my food delivered. I do all my shopping online. I only meet up with family when we can do so with social distancing. And I still haven't had the virus. The strange part is that I'm a high-risk individual and I have always gotten whatever sick was going around. But I haven't gotten COVID. I got the Johnson&Johnson vaccine because I'm a high risk individual. I would rather be safe than sorry. I didn't have any blood clotting problems. I didn't feel any negative effects from the vaccine at all. And I still haven't gotten COVID. My brother-in-law who has always been low risk and rarely gets sick, got COVID and died within a week. I personally, think that we just don't know enough to even know what we don't know with this virus.

But I should say... to me COVID isn't much different than the flu. Both could kill me. In fact there are so many things that can kill me that it is just one more to add to a very long list. People who are familiar with dealing with contagious infections that can kill them aren't freaking out over COVID. I already washed my hands or wore gloves when I needed to. I already wore a mask to protect my lungs, even when it was hot and uncomfortable. Most of the more substantial precautions I have taken have been to relieve the minds of my family who I actually want to see and spend time with. Not everyone is hyperventilating about COVID. And I will be getting a flu shot when flu season comes around. I doubt I will get the flu this season as I'm not around people as much as I used to be. I'm not riding on the bus anymore with poor people who don't know how to cover their mouths when they cough and sneeze. I'm no longer working with children, as I did before the (my part-time job was lost when the daycare shut down because of the pandemic), and children definitely spread the flu. I don't know if this year will solve the riddle in this thread because more children have gone back to school and we aren't in flu season yet. We might hear just as much about the flu when that time of year comes around. Especially if people aren't getting flu shots... I can imagine people will think the Covid vaccine works on the flu as well, even thought that isn't true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit