would you be more happy not knowing what you now know?

by ExBethelitenowPIMA 196 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

Abiogenesis was chemistry doing its thing. It happened incredibly quickly on earth and has probably happened millions of times on similar planets. It was 'chance' in the same way that when a rock rolls down a hill there is an element of chance in where it will end up but we don't resort to intelligent design to explain why it rolled.”

Cofty did chemistry do it’s thing originally by chance or was it intelligent design?

The origin of the universe and of life either came about by chance or ID. There is no other option.

• cofty
    cofty

ExB - It is a reasonable position to admit that you still lack sufficient information to come to a conclusion on a particular question.

That is very different from choosing 'informed ignorance' (your words).

It is also unreasonable to hold passionate opinions about a scientific question when - by your own admission - you have done absolutely no research.

Cofty did chemistry do it’s thing originally by chance or was it intelligent design?

Please read what I actually wrote. Is it 'chance' when a rock rolls down a hill?

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Probably realizing you can do your own thinking without relying on the Borg to do it for you is key.

You dont have to rely on them.

Who needs who more.?

Do the rank and file need the GB/Borg? Or is it the other way around?

Its not rocket science when you really think about it.

Who and what$$ keeps the Borg going?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The things I know are vastly outnumbered by the things I don’t know, and many of the things I think I know I am likely wrong about too.

Considering the vast number of things people disagree about, just statistically speaking, people generally must be far more often wrong than right. Being wrong therefore is the normal state of affairs for humans. If any of us happen to be right about some particular issue it’s probably a rare event plus near impossible to identify with certainty, since we always tend to think we are right. If we didn’t think we were right we would change our mind.

Given that I am probably wrong in most of the things I think about the world, and have ever thought about the world, it seems a bit futile to pick out one thing that I think I’m right about now and was wrong about in the past.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

What I know now has made me me more happy and less depressed.

• MeanMrMustard
  • SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"ExB - It is a reasonable position to admit that you still lack sufficient information to come to a conclusion on a particular question.

"That is very different from choosing 'informed ignorance' (your words).

It is also unreasonable to hold passionate opinions about a scientific question when - by your own admission - you have done absolutely no research"

He just keeps on posting the slightly rephrased ignorant questions that went on for 10 pages in that PIMA, POMA, POMO thread.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"Cofty, did chemistry do it’s thing originally by chance or was it intelligent design?
    The origin of the universe and of life either came about by chance or ID. There is no other option."

The best that gets you is some form of deism where a being set the laws of physics and then let them run their course.

If that makes you feel better, then have at it. It doesn't change the fact that it's just physics and chemistry running on auto-pilot since then.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

Soooooo happy to be free and free to think!

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

Ex-B ... I am a person that never dwells on what have could have been, I don't know why. Just highly pragmatic I guess. But I do think that there is something more important to understand here.

No one is 100% happy. If you are ... you have a real psychiatric disorder. Millionaires and Billionaires regularly get unhappy ... yes people totally free to do what ever they want, regularly get even suicidal.

But what everyone can be 100% of the time, is being 'content'.

Now I know that I've been lied to about the beliefs I held for years. I even doubt, that there is a resurrection. However I also now know (as a older adult) that I've been lied to about many things. The government that rules me, has lied to me and withholds trues even today. The history of my country and its national hero is mostly made up. My sporting stars take performance enhancing drugs, while claiming total innocence. Even my wife, whom I love, lies to me from time to time.

But I can accept it and understand it.

It doesn't mean that I like knowing the uncomfortable truths, but a adult I have come to realize, that it is all part of the human condition. People are imperfect and so some will even do terrible things to others.

Thus I get back to my original though about being content, and ask a question.

Could you be content being a condemned Jew living back in Auschwitz concentration camp?

Of course you can not be happy, but you could be content even there, even knowing that today could be your last day alive. It a bit zen, I know ... but it is true. And I'd go even further to say that, without contentment you would most likely just give up and die.

So I think in the end ... that it doesnt matter if I know or don't know the truth about the Truth. Because I can be content with my life, regardless of what pill I took from Morpheus. However if I HAD to choose between knowing or not-knowing ... I'd rather know, because its my nature. Sadly many people just can't cope with truth, but I can be ... while being sort of happy ... and that enough for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit