would you be more happy not knowing what you now know?

by ExBethelitenowPIMA 196 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

no-Zombie there are so many factual errors and misunderstandings in your previous post it would take me hours to explain them. Like ExB you obviously have never made the effort to study the science. You are throwing around sciency sounding phrases like we are playing creationist bingo.

The laws of thermodynamics has actually become a meme among scientists to identify a creationist who hasn't got a clue.

Ex-B - you claim to have based your rejection of evolution on a careful consideration of the evidence. Please share which books that present the evidence FOR biological evolution you have read? I'm going to keep asking until you tell me or retract your lie.

• cofty
    cofty

Religious faith makes science impossible.

Imagine a scientist who is working on a cancer cure. He also believes in intercessionary prayer. How on earth could he conduct a clinical trial?

• pizzahut2023
    pizzahut2023

the more scientific discoveries there are the more science supports the Bible

Uh... no The Bible is totally, 100%, completely wrong on many many scientific things.

For example:

The Bible TWICE implies that Pi (the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter) is EXACTLY 3.

Not 3.14... not 3.1... but 3.000000000000000000000000....

The two texts are

(1 Kings 7:23) 23 Then he made the Sea of cast metal. It was circular in shape, 10 cubits from brim to brim and 5 cubits high, and it took a measuring line 30 cubits long to encircle it. . .

(2 Chronicles 4:2) 2 He made the Sea of cast metal. It was circular in shape, 10 cubits from brim to brim and 5 cubits high, and it took a measuring line 30 cubits long to encircle it.
    The Bible also TWICE says that bats are birds...

The Watchtower says that the word used in the text can mean birds or flying things... and that is true, but only on one of them. On the second one, the word used ONLY means birds...

(Leviticus 11:13-19) . . .“‘And these are what YOU will loathe among the flying creatures. They should not be eaten. They are a loathsome thing: the eagle and the osprey and the black vulture, 14 and the red kite and the black kite according to its kind, 15 and every raven according to its kind, 16 and the ostrich and the owl and the gull and the falcon according to its kind, 17 and the little owl and the cormorant and the long-eared owl, 18 and the swan and the pelican and the vulture, 19 and the stork, the heron according to its kind, and the hoopoe and the bat.

(Deuteronomy 14:11-18) . . .“Any clean bird YOU may eat. 12 But these are the ones of which YOU must not eat: the eagle and the osprey and the black vulture, 13 and the red kite and the black kite and the glede according to its kind; 14 and every raven according to its kind; 15 and the ostrich and the owl and the gull and the falcon according to its kind; 16 the little owl and the long-eared owl and the swan, 17 and the pelican and the vulture and the cormorant, 18 and the stork and the heron according to its kind, and the hoopoe and the bat.

The Bible often implies that the Earth is flat (which is why if you go to a flat Earth Facebook group, you will notice that a lot of the members are hardcore Bible believers).

(Daniel 4:20) 20 “‘The tree that you saw that grew great and became strong, whose top reached the heavens and was visible to all the earth. . .

(Matthew 4:8) . . .Again the Devil took him along to an unusually high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. . .
    How can a tree be visible to all the earth unless the Earth is flat? How can all the kingdoms of the world be visible from an "unusually high mountain" unless the Earth is flat?

No matter how high you go, on a round Earth, only half of the Earth is visible at any given position and moment!
    And many other examples. You just haven't really read your Bible in detail.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett
    ".......and how it can brake the first and second law of thermodynamics, spontaneously"

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

ExB: I think you are throwing in a lot of bad religious leaders in the same boat as the Bible when in fact they are in a complete different boat.

What I mean is, there is no universally agreed-upon framework for judging the truth of religion and religious claims. Science, we are told, cannot do it, since religion deals with metaphysics and with the supernatural, which science (the study of the natural world) cannot be applied to. But there is no acceptance of how to apply metaphysics or "spiritual science" to religious claims in order to determine if there is any truth to any of it. Without that framework, religions make claims that cannot be tested, including by other religions. Which do you trust? Why?

As for science and the Bible, keep in mind that the Bible refers to things like a global flood, which science shows us cannot have happened. Or the resurrection of a man who was dead for more than a day. It tells of an occasion where the display of striped branches caused livestock to give birth to similarly-striped offspring. One of its writers appeared to think that demons caused disease. And so on. I think science works just fine without the Bible. I don't really think the Bible works too well at all.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Put me down for “Happy”.

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh

I was so miserable when I was in. Suicide was the only way out,,, I thought.

Being DFed was the better choice. Not easy at the time by any means. But I am far happier now. Haven't obsessed about suicide since I left.

Information is power. It gives you belief that you can make other choices. Anything is better than sitting in a life that you desperately want out of even if that means dying. I was the walking dead. The more information I had the better choices I made. And I did my fair share of mistakes. But I learned.

38 years out and still wanting more. I am alive and loving it.

• fulano
    fulano

I think when you are brought up the old fashioned cruel way as a jw child, spent many years of your life in fulltime service (me untill 40), you’re life is ruined anyway.

I am 63 now and there are still moments my “worldly” wife to whom I am married now for 17 years doesn’t understand my “natural” restrictions, inhibitions. In other words, you’re fucked up, knowing or not knowing. Live your life and say welcome to the day you’re out of this.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Fulano,,well said.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

This is such an interesting subject that only those who have been physically in JWs at some point would ever understand.

Im looking for a way to be PIMA, agnostic means not to commit but keep that small amount of hope that the Bibles promises may have some truth to them. This is the same as PIMI’s all they have is hope of the Bibles promises.

But to have a plan B. If JWs are wrong about many things (I think almost certainly they are) don’t waste too much time as a PIMI would. Keep an open mind and stay objective.

Is it possible to only take the good things about staying physically in? I love all the social aspects the meeting and assemblies and meeting up with the friends but hate knocking on doors. So I often go to the ministry groups and the meet ups after but say I’m doing street work or letter writing in the park but never even do that, and often elders tell me off and say you really should do some first call. I will not be pushed into doing anything I don’t won’t to do. But I like going back for refreshments after.

But I’m seeing more and more doing less and less. So many younger brothers are being pushed to ‘reach out’ but they are not interested in that, but they like the friends in the congregation.

So what I see happening is a massive sea change in the Borg. My advice is enjoying the good things and find it interesting but don’t waste any time doing anything you don’t want to do. Don’t let them get into your mind keep your own mind when you read the Bible and always think it may be true or it may not be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit